Hershey knocked off the hill?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
City of Albany population: 97,856 as of 2010.
Capital District metro area includes Albany and the surrounding 10 counties. Population: 1,170,483 Area: 7228 sq mi.
(The capital district metro area actually includes Glens Falls.)

Utica population: 62,235
Utica-Rome metro area includes 2 counties. Population: 299,397 Area: 2726

Sort of comparing apples and oranges, since the Capital district metro area is geographically so much larger than the Utica-Rome area. If you compared the "core" capital district of Albany, Rensselaer, Saratoga, and Schenectady Counties, which is probably more realistic drawing area for the devils, the total population is 829,762

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
We'll obviously have to see if the short-term excitement can be turned into long term fandom, but looking good so far, obviously. Success in new markets can only be good for the AHL and hockey at large, so hope it does in San Diego.

San Diego always drew well in the ECHL/WCHL. I saw a Gulls game this year, and they are drawing well, the number aren't inflated. The team doesn't do a great job making it an event though - at least compared to Ontario and Bakersfield. Pretty bare bones as far as presentation is concerned. Still, there are generations of Gulls fans (you see Gulls jerseys from many leagues and time periods in the stands). They should do well, despite high ticket prices. They may not beat out Hershey, but they will probably be top 5 in attendance.

jersey1302

Oct 18, 2015
Niverville, MB
Here is an early look at the AHL attendance figures. Some interesting notes IMO are the top 7 averages currently are over 7k in attendance which is great and a bit early but great for Winnipeg being in that figure over 7K with the Manitoba Moose and Winnipeg Jets playing in the same arena and market with only 730K metro area population. Many thought Winnipeg couldnt hold 2 teams with that market size. I really like the fact that Leigh Valley and San Diego are averaging top attendance figures too in the state of California.

http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Here is an early look at the AHL attendance figures. Some interesting notes IMO are the top 7 averages currently are over 7k in attendance which is great and a bit early but great for Winnipeg being in that figure over 7K with the Manitoba Moose and Winnipeg Jets playing in the same arena and market with only 730K metro area population. Many thought Winnipeg couldnt hold 2 teams with that market size. I really like the fact that Leigh Valley and San Diego are averaging top attendance figures too in the state of California.

I think you meant Ontario not Lehigh Valley, and yeah Ontario's great numbers don't surprise me cuz they've been top of ECHL for a few years, but San Diego does. Their prices are pretty high plus have crazy fees due to AXS selling the tix.

jersey1302

Oct 18, 2015
Niverville, MB
I think you meant Ontario not Lehigh Valley, and yeah Ontario's great numbers don't surprise me cuz they've been top of ECHL for a few years, but San Diego does. Their prices are pretty high plus have crazy fees due to AXS selling the tix.

Oh my bad..yea Ontario.. also impressed with Lehigh Valley though, they are doin well but being in Pennsylvania thats not such a shocker.

jersey1302

Oct 18, 2015
Niverville, MB
And wow you arnt kidding. Just looked at the Gulls ticket prices.. I definately didnt expect that. Very expensive for AHL $30 for behind the net?! I can get $30 ticket row 1 on the glass centre ice for AHL in Winnipeg.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
And wow you arnt kidding. Just looked at the Gulls ticket prices.. I definately didnt expect that. Very expensive for AHL $30 for behind the net?! I can get $30 ticket row 1 on the glass centre ice for AHL in Winnipeg.

Yeah crazy expensive. I haven't been to a game yet cuz of the prices. I can go to a Ducks game which is the same distance for me for about same price and no fees.

Edit: I just looked up an example for the fees. If I were to get tix to the game Wed upper bowl and cheapest tix possible it would be $18 a ticket but with their AXS fee it comes to $24 a ticket for upper bowl minor league hockey in one of the oldest arenas in all of hockey. The clippers use to play here...

Last edited:

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014

California has quietly had a good minor league following for years. Ontario has consistently been one of the top draws in minor league hockey, San Diego always drew well and that doesn't appear to have changed, Bakersfield and Stockton can get around 5,000/game. San Jose is the one that looks iffy...based on some highlights I've seen, they are probably inflating the numbers.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Yeah crazy expensive. I haven't been to a game yet cuz of the prices. I can go to a Ducks game which is the same distance for me for about same price and no fees.

Edit: I just looked up an example for the fees. If I were to get tix to the game Wed upper bowl and cheapest tix possible it would be $18 a ticket but with their AXS fee it comes to $24 a ticket for upper bowl minor league hockey in one of the oldest arenas in all of hockey. The clippers use to play here...

Yep, the prices are brutal. Considering it's a building that was built in the 60's in a bad part of town and they aren't doing much more promotion-wise than tossing a team on the ice. Still, there are lots of people in the stands and folks seem excited to have a team again.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Yep, the prices are brutal. Considering it's a building that was built in the 60's in a bad part of town and they aren't doing much more promotion-wise than tossing a team on the ice. Still, there are lots of people in the stands and folks seem excited to have a team again.

Yeah, I'm hoping the lack of promotion is due to having a completely new management team and marketing team and will work out the kinks.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Yeah, I'm hoping the lack of promotion is due to having a completely new management team and marketing team and will work out the kinks.

Seems like they were completely surprised by the turnout for the name announcement. They may have just thought of it as an easy location. One would hope that they understand that they've got a legitimately good location and take it seriously.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
Taking the Gulls name was a smart move. It brought together hockey fans from multiple generations.

Yes, very smart, especially given the long history in SD. They've made a point to tie themselves to O'Ree and other old Gulls too. I was glad to see the Reign and Condors follow suit. I was surprised Stockton didn't keep the Thunder name.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Seems like they were completely surprised by the turnout for the name announcement. They may have just thought of it as an easy location. One would hope that they understand that they've got a legitimately good location and take it seriously.

Yeah took forever to get in. I heard that opening night they still only had two entrances open and also took forever. Not sure if they fixed that or not.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Well, after a long season HERSHEY still is on top in league attendance. Today's final game will probably top the 10,000 mark as well. Glad to see Ontario, San Diego and Lake Erie do well this season.

Bears! Bears! Bears!

kducks

Duck Off
Sep 19, 2007
OC
Yeah took forever to get in. I heard that opening night they still only had two entrances open and also took forever. Not sure if they fixed that or not.

They never fixed it. One of the worst things about attending a Gulls game is trying to get into the arena. Two entrances with one door open at each is not going to cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad