Hershey knocked off the hill?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Was an exciting weekend to see higher then average AHL crowds out on the west coast. The San Diego Gulls hosted almost 13,000 at home Saturday night. Have we seen a taste of a market who could possibly challenge the likes of Hershey or Providence as AHL attendance leaders?

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
We'll obviously have to see if the short-term excitement can be turned into long term fandom, but looking good so far, obviously. Success in new markets can only be good for the AHL and hockey at large, so hope it does in San Diego.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Was an exciting weekend to see higher then average AHL crowds out on the west coast. The San Diego Gulls hosted almost 13,000 at home Saturday night. Have we seen a taste of a market who could possibly challenge the likes of Hershey or Providence as AHL attendance leaders?

When San Diego was in the ECHL they had a few crowds between 10,000-12,000 but still did not lead the league in attendance. Manitoba, Chicago, San Jose, Milwaukee, Lake Erie & San Antonio all have larger arenas, BUT Hershey has had a great fan base for years.

Lets see at the end of the season who is on top. One game does not a season make.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
It would have been a massive disappointment had they not had a huge turnout.

They'd probably have to cancel some games and have closed practices instead.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
And the California teams have less games so their total attendance will suffer.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stockton drew 6543 for their home opener. It is the biggest crown I can recall from a Flames affiliate since I started really paying attention when they were in Abbotsford.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
Thursdays Moose home opener will be a sell out, first of many. The Moose with be right back at the top of the charts like they never even left!

cjerina

Nov 5, 2008
But their chances to draw crowds will be less so in all it may still be a wash.
Agreed.

I wasn't saying you were wrong, just that its about how one looks at it or markets it.

What you'll see is that the rest of the league will market their attendance in the off-season as "5th highest league attendance" while the West Coast teams will market it as "5th highest attendance per game" or similar.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
San Diego has a much larger population to draw from than Hershey does. Not really a fair comparison.....

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
San Diego has a much larger population to draw from than Hershey does. Not really a fair comparison.....

Oh please, that is such a naive thing to say. Toronto has by far the largest market in the AHL and their attendance is dreadful. So was Hamilton, so was Oklahoma City. Milwaukee and Charlotte are large markets and they don't set the world on fire with their attendance. Size of the market doesn't matter. Size of the arena does because that's where the revenues are in an entirely gate-driven league. In Toronto's case , the Leafs own the team and operate the building so for them the revenues of the Marlies are secondary. But I would worry if I was in a market where the parent team owned the AHL team, were thousands of miles and three time zones away, and the building holds less than 4000. At some point one of those numbers, if not a combination of all, will cause that market to leave the AHL.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Their average attendance may increase however due to possibly fewer weeknight games.
Yeah, weekday games kill attendance. Stockton on Thursday only drew about 3000 fans compared to 6500 on the weekend.

cometshockey

Oct 26, 2014
Oh please, that is such a naive thing to say. Toronto has by far the largest market in the AHL and their attendance is dreadful. So was Hamilton, so was Oklahoma City. Milwaukee and Charlotte are large markets and they don't set the world on fire with their attendance. Size of the market doesn't matter. Size of the arena does because that's where the revenues are in an entirely gate-driven league. In Toronto's case , the Leafs own the team and operate the building so for them the revenues of the Marlies are secondary. But I would worry if I was in a market where the parent team owned the AHL team, were thousands of miles and three time zones away, and the building holds less than 4000. At some point one of those numbers, if not a combination of all, will cause that market to leave the AHL.

we all survived the 25 years between the devils and the comets. there is nothing we can do about a team leaving here, but we sure as hell can enjoy it while it is here.....life goes on with or without ahl hockey, you obviously have your priorities in life mixed up........

Frank Booth

Feb 13, 2008
Lumberton, USA
we all survived the 25 years between the devils and the comets. there is nothing we can do about a team leaving here, but we sure as hell can enjoy it while it is here.....life goes on with or without ahl hockey, you obviously have your priorities in life mixed up........

Well I do know how to properly capitalize my posts and end my sentences with the correct punctuation. I think those are pretty good priorities.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Yeah, weekday games kill attendance. Stockton on Thursday only drew about 3000 fans compared to 6500 on the weekend.

I was at that game and it was a blast, any seat in the arena was a good seat.

I was cheering for the Barracuda of course and they won their first game but there were a ton of big hits against the glass by both teams. It just seemed like they hit a lot more in the AHL than in the NHL.

I sat literally right behind the goalie in the second row on the side Stockton attacked twice and it was awesome, it was the closest I ever sat a professional hockey game. The first 3 Barracuda goals and Stockton's goal were all scored on my side, it was a great time for my first AHL game.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I was at that game and it was a blast, any seat in the arena was a good seat.

I was cheering for the Barracuda of course and they won their first game but there were a ton of big hits against the glass by both teams. It just seemed like they hit a lot more in the AHL than in the NHL.

I sat literally right behind the goalie in the second row on the side Stockton attacked twice and it was awesome, it was the closest I ever sat a professional hockey game. The first 3 Barracuda goals and Stockton's goal were all scored on my side, it was a great time for my first AHL game.

The ahl offers something special to the fans. The speed and skill are outstanding. Something you never get close enough at a NHL venue or can appreciate watching on TV. You have something special, enjoy it!!!!!

jiggsawpuzzle35

May 7, 2007
The 949
Keep in mind also that the San Diego Gulls tickets are probably one of the highest if not the highest in the league. I went to a Connecticut Whale game 2-3 years ago and got 4 seats 5 rows from the ice and it cost us around $120 with tax and fees. In San Diego those same tickets will cost you close to $300.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
The Ontario Reign sold out thier home opener last night. They may have serious chance of knocking off Hershey for best attendance. Ontario was 2nd in minor league hockey in attendance as an ECHL team (behind only Hershey).

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Wanted to see some of the cities in the AHL who have arenas that are close to 10,000 or over - what the population is those areas.

I Googled each city to see what I could get.

Hershey (city) 14,257 / Metro Area 536,299

San Diego Metro area 3,095,313

Lake Erie/Cleveland Metro area 2,064,725

Albany Metro area 1,170,483

San Antonio Metro area 2,227,550

Winnepeg (city) 663,617 / Metro are 730,018

San Jose Metro area 1,952,872

Grand Rapids Metro area 1,027,703

Toronto Metro area 6,054,191

Milwaukee Metro area 2,040,498

Ontario (city) 167,500 as part of Greater LA area 18,550,288

This season so far we have seen, Albany playing to 2,025, San Jose to 3,027, Milwaukee to 2,058, Toronto to 2,790, Chicago to 3,221, Grand Rapids to 3,863.

I can't remember when Hershey last had a crowd below 5,000/6,000 - they have a solid fan base and for the area they are in, they draw a lot better then cities/areas with much larger populations.

I lived in Johnstown and would rather travel to watch games in Hershey than going to Pittsburgh to watch the Pens. Hershey has a great tradition.

It will take a lot for someone to take over the top spot in attendance in the AHL away from Hershey.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Wanted to see some of the cities in the AHL who have arenas that are close to 10,000 or over - what the population is those areas.

I Googled each city to see what I could get.

Hershey (city) 14,257 / Metro Area 536,299

San Diego Metro area 3,095,313

Lake Erie/Cleveland Metro area 2,064,725

Albany Metro area 1,170,483

San Antonio Metro area 2,227,550

Winnepeg (city) 663,617 / Metro are 730,018

San Jose Metro area 1,952,872

Grand Rapids Metro area 1,027,703

Toronto Metro area 6,054,191

Milwaukee Metro area 2,040,498

Ontario (city) 167,500 as part of Greater LA area 18,550,288

This season so far we have seen, Albany playing to 2,025, San Jose to 3,027, Milwaukee to 2,058, Toronto to 2,790, Chicago to 3,221, Grand Rapids to 3,863.

I can't remember when Hershey last had a crowd below 5,000/6,000 - they have a solid fan base and for the area they are in, they draw a lot better then cities/areas with much larger populations.

I lived in Johnstown and would rather travel to watch games in Hershey than going to Pittsburgh to watch the Pens. Hershey has a great tradition.

It will take a lot for someone to take over the top spot in attendance in the AHL away from Hershey.

I think your numbers must be way off, or Google. Albany is not even close to San Diego, Grand Rapids, or Winnipeg. Google pics of Albany and it's clearly a small city. In fact Albany is like the fifth or sixth size city in New York behind NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Yonkers. Albany isn't much bigger then Binghamton or Utica.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
I think your numbers must be way off, or Google. Albany is not even close to San Diego, Grand Rapids, or Winnipeg. Google pics of Albany and it's clearly a small city. In fact Albany is like the fifth or sixth size city in New York behind NYC, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, and Yonkers. Albany isn't much bigger then Binghamton or Utica.

It's the metro area which probably includes Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga and other smaller cities.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

Albany is much larger than Utica or Bingo...... The Utica area always includes Rome and surrounding towns. So I am sure Troy and Schnenctady and places like CliftonPark are included in Albany's numbers. Your trying to tell us they built a 15,000 seat arena in a city the size of Utica???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad