Here's why we suck.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I don't understand why anyone would argue here. The OP is 100% correct. We suck at drafting, and we sure as hell suck even more at developing, on top of that, we even suck at tanking. We need a GM who knows how to lead the tank brigade.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He held onto his picks and prospects, traded them when they essentially had no value.
He didn't really hold on to 2nd round picks...

Traded them in deals for Petry, Vanek and Shaw, King...not saying they were bad trades, but that's not building through the draft.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
habs suck because many players this year had career, near career years and still failed to make the playoffs

so next yr all these same players need to have career years again

not happenning

Reactions: Doc McKenna

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
habs suck because many players this year had career, near career years and still failed to make the playoffs

so next yr all these same players need to have career years again

not happenning

I agree 100%. I'd like habs to take a step back even if they don't go full rebuild just to stockpile a little more.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He didn't really hold on to 2nd round picks...

Traded them in deals for Petry, Vanek and Shaw, King...not saying they were bad trades, but that's not building through the draft.
He also got some back with Eller.
That's not the point though, I'm not arguing he built through the draft. I have always said he never chose a direction. But he did say those things, and while you can say they're just words, he also mentioned he wasn't going to mortage the future and he never did. He's still saying the same thing today.

Chili

What wind blew you hither?
Jun 10, 2004
The blueprint for success was brought to the Habs many years ago by Frank Selke Sr. Basically find good young, self motivated, team oriented talent for their minor league teams. Players who hate to lose.

I have a book with a picture of the 1964-65 Habs in a circle around coach Toe Blake and the only players who did not come from that program were Dick Duff and Gump Worsley. The rest of the team was home grown. That team went on to break a four year Cup drought and won 4 Cups in the next 5 years (only missing in 1967 when they were upset by the Leafs). Set the team up for the run in the 1970's too.

It's a different era now especially with the cap, number of teams and free agency but I believe the principle of assembling and developing young players is the same. Several teams that have had good success with their AHL teams which has translated to their NHL roster (Tampa, Toronto, Columbus, Pittsburgh...).

At some point the Habs fell behind the league in scouting and developing. The number of NHL players originally drafted and developed by the Habs is among the lowest in the league (I have posted the numbers at the beginning of each season in the Timmins thread).

Is there is a direct correlation? The two teams who had originally signed the most NHL players on opening rosters this season were the Hawks and Pens winners of 6 cups in the last several years.

I do believe there have been signs that the organization is trying to get back to the principles that made them a dynasty all those years ago. Bringing the AHL team to Laval, stockpiling draft picks, new coaches, focusing on identifying team oriented players.

Mr Selke inherited some great players when he took over the team (including the Rocket) but it was still several years before he won his first Cup with the Habs. I hope they are finally pointed in the right direction, but it will require patience and commitment.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad