Here's a good one- Does Sergei Bobrovsky get into the Hall of Fame?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The HHOF is insanely strict on goalies (well, until recently) but I dont see how you can leave a two time Vezina winner out. He even has last years playoff run to add.

As of today he is the only two time Vezinas winner of his era (Hellebucyk will likely join him in a couple months).

Reactions: majormajor

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The HHOF is insanely strict on goalies (well, until recently) but I dont see how you can leave a two time Vezina winner out. He even has last years playoff run to add.

As of today he is the only two time Vezinas winner of his era (Hellebucyk will likely join him in a couple months).
Tim thomas.

Who also has a Conn Smyth.

Although TT is left out because of the NHL wanting to distance themselves from his political views.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Tim thomas.

Who also has a Conn Smyth.

Although TT is left out because of the NHL wanting to distance themselves from his political views.

I guess it depends on how you define era, Thomas retired shortly after Bob became an NHL player.

Pretty sure it’s the minuscule body of work keeping him out.

That didn't stop them from inducting Bill Durnan.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Trying to look at it objectively. He's played 14 seasons and has:

• Without going year by year and comparing him to the rest of the league, I'd say he has what are probably...
    • 4 really good years
    • 5 average to above average years
    • 2 below average years
    • 3 bad years
  • He has 2 Vezina's.
  • He is 14th all-time in regular season wins, just 4 shy of 400
  • He's been a 1st team all-star just once
  • Has not yet won a Cup
Yeah, I think he should be in the HHoF. I think it's close, but his career has been very good, he ranks highly all-time in wins, and has hardware. There have been worse goalies, never mind players, entered into the HHoF.

Reactions: Zuluss

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I think a cup would put him in. It's been a strange era for goalies, and he has run REALLY hot and cold. But when he's hot, there aren't many better. And once upon a time he might have been the best for a few minutes.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
He'll end up top 10 in wins, he's pretty close to HHoF now, a cup easily solidifies it but probably won't be necessary at the end of the day.

Reactions: Outl4w

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
The moment Kevin Lowe was elected the HHoF changed the bar for entry. Bob has just as good a chance as any to get in. Especially if he continues to play and pads his stats.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
The moment Kevin Lowe was elected the HHoF changed the bar for entry. Bob has just as good a chance as any to get in. Especially if he continues to play and pads his stats.
Kevin Lowe type inductions are nothing new. There's lots of good players that were lucky to play on dynasties in the Hall.

I don't even mind it that much. It is the Hall of Fame, not Hall of the best players.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Kevin Lowe type inductions are nothing new. There's lots of good players that were lucky to play on dynasties in the Hall.

I don't even mind it that much. It is the Hall of Fame, not Hall of the best players.

You basically just proved the point I was trying to make. The HHoF is no longer reserved for the very best. It's the Hall of very good now. So Bob has just as good a chance as any, especially if he keeps playing and his stats keep registering. He can thank the induction of Kevin Lowe because that selection changed the bar moving forward.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You basically just proved the point I was trying to make. The HHoF is no longer reserved for the very best. It's the Hall of very good now. So Bob has just as good a chance as any, especially if he keeps playing and his stats keep registering. He can thank the induction of Kevin Lowe because that selection changed the bar moving forward.
Its been like that for a long time. Kevin Lowe is just the latest.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I don't see why he's left out. It's Hockey Hall of Fame, not Hockey Hall of Consistency.

Another run like last year would certainly solidify it though.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
I will say no, because he has no consistent level of track record, year in and year out, to be considered one of the elite goaltenders of his generation.

It would be like asking if Taylor Hall should be in the Hall of Fame. The answer is clearly no, even with a Hart Trophy under his arm.
What if Hall had 2?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Kevin Lowe is such an edge case, given he was the only remaining one of the 'Boys on the Bus' who wasn't in. Glenn Anderson was already pretty controversial to a lot of poeple despite being near the top of all categories for playoff stats.

Individually he definitely shouldn't be in.

But at the same time to a lot of others, it almost felt like excluding Ringo from the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
If he wins the Cup he's in. Otherwise I agree with whoever said that the HHOF is very tough on goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad