yet another legend we've lost in the past year. this one really hurts

RIP legend

Elvis P

Everybody on the whole cell block
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Damn,, RIP to the REAL HR king
Agreed. Hank Aaron:

All-Time Leader in Home Runs, RBIs, and Total Bases, 3rd in Hits, 4th in Runs Scored, 5th in Offensive WAR and WAR Position Players, Hall of Famer, MVP, World Series Champ, 25x All-Star, 3 Gold Gloves, 2x Batting Titles

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
RIP to an absolute titan of the game. Easily one of the greatest players to ever do it and he persevered while facing an insane amount obstacles most of us can't fathom.

He's well before my time but if there was a list of athletes I wish I got to witness play live, Hammerin Hank would be near the top of that list!

Last edited:

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

The legendary Vin Scully said it best during this record breaking moment: "What a marvelous moment for baseball, Atlanta, Georgia, the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the deep south for breaking a record of an all time baseball idol and it is a great moment for all of us and particularly for Henry Aaron who was not only met by every member of the Braves but also his father and mother."

If you were alive at the time (I was not), this must've been such a powerful moment to see an African American man get a standing O from a crowd of Southerners for breaking Babe Ruth's, perhaps America's most iconic athlete in history, most prestigious record. The racial tension was terrible at the time (Aaron got countless death threats) so to see this scene unfold must have been a great moment of unity for a dangerously divided country.

Reactions: Tecumseh

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I am not a gamer, but one game I play is Out Of the Park Baseball. When I bought it last year, I decided to manage/GM the Braves for Aaron's career. I am up to age 25 now and he's very good, but hasn't reached the greatness he did IRL.

I did the same thing on an earlier version of the game when I was just the coach and not GM and the AI traded Aaron on me after 6 years where he WAS a superstar. Honestly never so mad at a game in my life.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

The legendary Vin Scully said it best during this record breaking moment: "What a marvelous moment for baseball, Atlanta, Georgia, the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the deep south for breaking a record of an all time baseball idol and it is a great moment for all of us and particularly for Henry Aaron who was not only met by every member of the Braves but also his father and mother."

If you were alive at the time (I was not), this must've been such a powerful moment to see an African American man get a standing O from a crowd of Southerners for breaking Babe Ruth's, perhaps America's most iconic athlete in history, most prestigious record. The racial tension was terrible at the time (Aaron got countless death threats) so to see this scene unfold must have been a great moment of unity for a dangerously divided country.

I actually went to school with the son of one of the guys who ran the bases with Hank after he broke the record. Sadly both him and his son are gone now.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
I actually went to school with the son of one of the guys who ran the bases with Hank after he broke the record. Sadly both him and his son are gone now.
i recall they reunited for a presser about a decade or so ago

5806409fd8e96.image.jpg

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
In 1973 at age 39, he hit 40 home runs in 465 plate appearances. His slash line was .301/402./.643 with an OPS+ of 177. I understand that stadium was nicknamed the launching pad, but that season is ridiculous for someone of any age let alon3 39.

Reactions: Canes

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
One of my biggest heroes growing up. Can't say enough good things about him. Those Braves team were absolute monsters, should have won more Championships, but Hank always more than held up his end of the bargain. One of the greatest ever

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
My sons offseason baseball trainer coached one of Hank's sons years ago when he was at a South Atlanta high school. He was saying that his dad told him stories of the FBI having to live with them weeks after the record was broke due to death threats from racist assholes. Apparently, they thwarted two legit attempts at kidnapping. Crazy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad