Proposal: Henrique at 50% and Vatrano to NYR

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Curious what itd take to get this done. Plugs 2 big holes for NYR.

Would something like the below get it done?

1st round pick
Zac Jones (immediate plug and play bottom pair offensive minded dman)
Brett Berard

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
The only reason for Anaheim to consider packaging them together, would be to pry away a young player/prospect of a higher quality than they could return individually. The Ducks have a ton of young depth, and are already set to draft seven times in the top 100 again this year. They need quality over quantity as much or more than anyone.

The market for Henrique as a rental, may be strong enough to fetch a late first. Vatrano with his production and signed another year at a reasonable cap hit, the Ducks should be looking at a later first for him as well. The point of packaging them together, would be to get a young piece they'd covet more than the returns they'd get separately.

It would be nice if people would stop and put a little thought into the proposal from the other side. If a team has Fowler, Mintyukov, Zellweger, Lacombe and Vaakanainen as NHL LHD, it stands to reason that there's no point trying to sell them on Jones.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
Curious what itd take to get this done. Plugs 2 big holes for NYR.

Would something like the below get it done?

1st round pick
Zac Jones (immediate plug and play bottom pair offensive minded dman)
Brett Berard
I wouldn't do this trade for Vatrano by himself, let alone both him and Henrique. Jones does nothing for us and while Berard is a fine prospect, he is almost certainly too small for our GM to covet him.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I wouldn't do this trade for Vatrano by himself, let alone both him and Henrique. Jones does nothing for us and while Berard is a fine prospect, he is almost certainly too small for our GM to covet him.

We have no use for Jones, but I can't turn my nose up at a 1st + Berard for Vatrano. Have always like Berard as a prospect and he's having a pretty solid rookie pro season.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
We have no use for Jones, but I can't turn my nose up at a 1st + Berard for Vatrano. Have always like Berard as a prospect and he's having a pretty solid rookie pro season.
He’s a fine prospect, but I have a very hard time seeing him being much more than a 3rd liner at the NHL level. And we have enough of that, IMO. I also think Verbeek would much rather have bigger players in the bottom 6 anyway.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
I think its possible market could push prices up to the point where Henrique and Vatrano could fetch 1st round picks individually, so pass for me.

Yep, that's a very plausible possibility...

The thing is, NHL is a long process league...

It's not like the NFL where most of 1st and 2nd rounders will make it the next year.

In the NHL, drafted players takes way longer to develop and there's a lot more uncertainty when it comes to development.

Where I wanna go with this is in such circumstances, when you have a chance to make it to the end, you go all in.

Furthermore, when you're a contender you're gonna pick late 1st round. And the probability of these picks turning into star players is actually pretty slim.

And you have about 50% probability to draft an NHL player... but an ordinary one.

So no wonder why NHL GMs of contending teams are distributing late 1st rd picks like candies when it comes to TD...

Because at the end of the day, you have to play it "all in" when you're close, in this league.

Here in MTL, we had a GM that p***yfooted when his team was a contender.
He feared spending his late 1st to get the top 6 center he lacked, hoping "to get into playoffs then anything can happen"...

The thing is he never won anything with the team as it was and all of his late 1st turned into flops...

At least if he tried...

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
He’s a fine prospect, but I have a very hard time seeing him being much more than a 3rd liner at the NHL level. And we have enough of that, IMO.
I think I prefer Berard to any of current AHL F prospects to be honest, but not more than Hvidston and Myatovic who are incoming. I don't disagree that he's not a high end prospect, but I also just don't expect Vatrano to pull a first and also a major add on top. Just not sure how reactive teams will be to his current production or if they'll ultimately view him as the same useful middle six scorer he's been for awhile. 1.5 year rental, I think a first and good but not high end prospect - sounds about right

Reactions: Jared Dunn

robbieboy3686

Jan 17, 2016
He’s a fine prospect, but I have a very hard time seeing him being much more than a 3rd liner at the NHL level. And we have enough of that, IMO. I also think Verbeek would much rather have bigger players in the bottom 6 anyway.
+1000 on larger players will be brought in moving forward we already have zegras Terry fowler and now Zellwegger. I don’t mention Henrique and silf since they are small, yes, but on their way out

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Are the Ducks at the point where they even need to trade Vatrano/Henrique? Don't they have a pretty full prospect cupboard?

Seems like they might just keep Vatrano and try and re-sign Henrique to me as an outsider.

Edit: Silfverberg however seems like a lock to be moved.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
we probably can't afford what Anaheim would want and honestly I don't want Vatrano back. he was a big part of why our 1st line was so bad in the last two series in those playoffs.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Are the Ducks at the point where they even need to trade Vatrano/Henrique? Don't they have a pretty full prospect cupboard?

Seems like they might just keep Vatrano and try and re-sign Henrique to me as an outsider.

Edit: Silfverberg however seems like a lock to be moved.
Henrique is about as much of a lock as there is to move to be honest. I'm not sure how big of a market there will be for Silfverberg even at 50%. I know he's great defensively but over 2.5 million for a guy that contenders will probably want for their 4th line

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
I think I prefer Berard to any of current AHL F prospects to be honest, but not more than Hvidston and Myatovic who are incoming. I don't disagree that he's not a high end prospect, but I also just don't expect Vatrano to pull a first and also a major add on top. Just not sure how reactive teams will be to his current production or if they'll ultimately view him as the same useful middle six scorer he's been for awhile. 1.5 year rental, I think a first and good but not high end prospect - sounds about right

I think you are significantly undervaluing Vatrano, even if you view this year as an outlier. He's a proven middle six forward who can play on both the the penalty kill and power play (second unit), with a strong playoff track record. And its not just the production - he has a phenomenal contract for a guy in his prime who brings those elements.

If he's traded, he'll very likely get a first (or premium prospect) with at least one additional good piece. Otherwise, the ducks can just keep him and trade him in the off season or next trade deadline.

we probably can't afford what Anaheim would want and honestly I don't want Vatrano back. he was a big part of why our 1st line was so bad in the last two series in those playoffs.

He's not a first line player. That being said, he had 13 points in 20 playoff games (5,8). Seems pretty noticeable to me.

He also brings a bit of the pest/sand paper factor which is a good thing in the playoffs.

Reactions: bl02

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I think you are significantly undervaluing Vatrano, even if you view this year as an outlier. He's a proven middle six forward who can play on both the the penalty kill and power play (second unit), with a strong playoff track record. And its not just the production - he has a phenomenal contract for a guy in his prime who brings those elements.

If he's traded, he'll very likely get a first (or premium prospect) with at least one additional good piece. Otherwise, the ducks can just keep him and trade him in the off season or next trade deadline.
If they retain 50% I think they get a 1st + 2nd kind of value, maybe a bit more. Full cap I think his value is probably around 1st + 3rd range. I would keep him until the draft and trade him if I'm the Ducks

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He's not a first line player. That being said, he had 13 points in 20 playoff games (5,8). Seems pretty noticeable to me.

He also brings a bit of the pest/sand paper factor which is a good thing in the playoffs.
that was the problem. he got stuck on our first line and was a huge part of them being one of the worst defensive lines in the league. I don't trust he'll be slotted properly. I didn't say he wasn't noticeable or useless.

duckpuck

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2007
that was the problem. he got stuck on our first line and was a huge part of them being one of the worst defensive lines in the league. I don't trust he'll be slotted properly. I didn't say he wasn't noticeable or useless.

If NYR re-acquired him now, would he be targeted for the first line? With the current roster, seems not.

At the TDL, a true first line player (even a rental) is going to fetch a pretty big haul. More than a first round pick +. The question is what is the market for a solid middle six guy with a great contract - that is Vatrano.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I would offer the Oilers 1st, Broberg and Bourgault for Vatrano @ 50%.
But, Oilers fans probably won't agree. I don't care about prospects and picks anymore

Reactions: TopShelfWaterBottle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad