Henrik Sedin Appreciation

BrownDynomyte

Apr 23, 2012
Obviously we are all pretty disappointed over the loss to LA this series. What the series did confirm, to me at least, is that Henrik is true captain material. I've never doubted him, but there have been so many questions about his heart and his leadership, certain things this series I think nullify all of that. He definitely elevated his play with Daniel out of the lineup, even if that didn't translate into points. A lot of it, I think, was not playing with linemates who get into position. Remember Henrik dangling through four kings, then nobody to pass through, or Henrik frustrating Scuderi behind the net and not getting the centring pass? Then there were also his epic shifts after the Brown hit, and the fact that he went point-per-game in a tight series, matching the Kings top scorer. He showed rage at being eliminated early, dedication to playing, and the ability to be consistently elite. What do you guys think of our captain?

StarsHawks*

Yeah as a non-canucks fan I think he was a class act this year. During the handshake you could tell he was being what a captain needs to be. After hearing about the Kesler crying again stuff I'm convinced H.Sedin is the right choice.

BrownDynomyte

Apr 23, 2012
Yeah as a non-canucks fan I think he was a class act this year. During the handshake you could tell he was being what a captain needs to be. After hearing about the Kesler crying again stuff I'm convinced H.Sedin is the right choice.

Thanks for the input! Yeah, I totally agree. I also didn't see diving from Henrik, where it came in spades from many other members of the Canucks. Every team dives, and the Canucks did it no more than the Kings, but Henrik mostly stayed away from that kind of thing.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Fantastic captain let the team go complacent for 82 games. Fantastic captain played his own heart out but couldn't get the rest of the skaters to follow in his foot steps.

Leading by example only works when the rest of the team looks up to you. Leading by example doesn't work on a veteran team.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Fantastic captain let the team go complacent for 82 games. Fantastic captain played his own heart out but couldn't get the rest of the skaters to follow in his foot steps.

Leading by example only works when the rest of the team looks up to you. Leading by example doesn't work on a veteran team.

What is this? I don't even....

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Do you understand the concept of leadership? How can you say someone is a good leader if his followers are ****? You can't.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I understand the concept of leadership. Maybe it's his ******* followers that need a kick in the crotch.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I understand the concept of leadership. Maybe it's his ******* followers that need a kick in the crotch.

Who's supposed to supply that kick to the crotch? Perhaps the captain? Clearly, he was incapable of supplying the kick, or if he was then he couldn't diagnose that the team was complacent. Neither of those situations indicate good leadership.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

for what it's worth, mark messier would have given those followers that kick in the crotch. or at least snitched about them to the coach/GM and gotten everyone traded.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Who's supposed to supply that kick to the crotch? Perhaps the captain? Clearly, he was incapable of supplying the kick, or if he was then he couldn't diagnose that the team was complacent. Neither of those situations indicate good leadership.

I don't agree with this at all. Whatever. Your opinion.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Do you understand the concept of leadership? How can you say someone is a good leader if his followers are ****? You can't.

He certainly did his part.

Dunno why I'm even responding to you.
The troll face in your avatar should be enough of a heads up.

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
He certainly did his part.

Dunno why I'm even responding to you.
The troll face in your avatar should be enough of a heads up.

Why the hell would I be trolling other Canucks fans? Hell, I don't recall ever posting a troll post.

If you don't want to have a discussion with someone who disagrees with you, fine.

If Henrik did his part in your eyes, you have much lower expectations from the players than I do...

AmazingNuck

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver

And you provide nothing to convince me otherwise, yet you post to say you disagree? Good for you. If you want to have a discussion to try and convince me of henrik's leadership, I am open minded and am willing to discuss.

anothercanucklehead

Nov 27, 2005
Delta
for what it's worth, mark messier would have given those followers that kick in the crotch. or at least snitched about them to the coach/GM and gotten everyone traded.

UGH!! I can't stand Messier and will never forgive him for what he did to the Canucks (or didn't do). Please don't mention him again! For what it's worth, I'd take any of the core Canucks over the Messier who "played" in Vancouver any day of the week.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Yup. One man - be it a manager, coach, captain or just a regular guy - can only do so much. Henrik elevated his play and lead by example, and was one of the few Canucks who was actually dangerous in this series. Too bad the rest of the team couldn't up the ante.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
And you provide nothing to convince me otherwise, yet you post to say you disagree? Good for you. If you want to have a discussion to try and convince me of henrik's leadership, I am open minded and am willing to discuss.

Honestly, I thought he did his job. We don't know what was said behind closed doors. But for me, he was the only one who showed up and bared heart. And I for one, am not going to sit here and rag on him and question his Captaincy. This team is full of veterans. They should all be capable of elevating their play without Henrik being their cheerleader. I agree with you on the fact that this team has been complacent all year (it has been a pretty crappy season), but this isn't all on Henrik, and it's foolish to assume that he's the ONLY one responsible for making things right. AV has been pretty nonchalant behind the bench as well. All I'm saying is that it's on all of them. None of them did a particularly good job getting ready for the playoffs. What about the other leaders in that room? Kesler, Bieksa, etc. This is TEAM game. Again, I refuse to rag on the one guy who decided to show up.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion, but I also understand where you are coming from.

BrownDynomyte

Apr 23, 2012

You're right, leading by example only works if people will follow that example. Clearly that wasn't completely happening. But you can see the effect on his linemates when Henrik is on. Booth playing with heart, Burrows was buzzing with him for a while, Hansen elevating his play.

I don't believe for a second either that Henrik was idle in the locker room. We see media Henrik all the time, but that's the Canuck way.I don't see how Crosby did any more, how Toews did any more. They all played their ***** off.The difference is that for Brown, his team was buzzing from the get go. Brown's team was buzzing from the get-go. Hell, he wasn't even the story in Game 1, that was Richards. Henrik has been the Canucks motor this entire series. I'm interested to hear who you think would be able to get this team going. A big hitter? A young guy?

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
The man has missed only a handful of games in his entire career, is tough as nails, and plays the game cleanly and at a very high level. I am extremely glad he is a Canuck.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
People exaggerate the effect of great leaders. So long as a leader isn't dragging the team down (like Luongo probably did at times when he was captain), there's not a huge difference.

Henrik's a solid captain IMO, and is almost a necessary counterpoint to the occasionally hot-headed parts of the team (Kesler in particular, but others like Lapierre and Bieksa have that element too).

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
As an Oilers fan, I know for a fact that everyone in the league was extremely impressed by the Sedins this series. If they had any reputation of being diver/chokers, they absolutely got rid of it this series. What I saw was a great captain who battled his heart out for the team. And even though the Canucks lost, The goaltenders and the Sedins were the only ones who showed up. They looked like 2 players who learned a lot from losing last year, and wanted it really bad. I know Canucks fans have known how great of leaders the Sedins have been, but the Kings series left the 29 other fanbases extremely impressed with them.

I know you might not care what other fanbases think, but I'm sharing my input.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I think the twins turned the corner in this playoffs. They seem to understand now that there is a whole new level of battle that you need to get to in the playoffs. It's not about throwing big hits, it's about battling for ice, staying on your feet, willing yourself to the net. I think this bodes well for the team going forward. It takes these guys a little time to figure things out it seems. When they do, watch out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad