Henrik Lundqvist is Still a Top NHL Goaltender

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I'm not a hater at all. I just don't like how he is so fast to blame others. And obviously I'm not alone. And I'm not going to name my sources. I probably shouldn't have mentioned that part.

I also don't understand when people see criticisms of players they like they fly into rage mode. We are talking about hockey players, not family members, relax.

What if the blame is warranted? And youve been dealing with incompetence for over a decade?

Lundqvist is a passionate player. There’s good and bad with that.

Reactions: JFG

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I think he's still good, just not top ten. I think he should be a back-up for a contender so he likely gets a cup.
Lol. He's 6th in the league in save percentage among goalies who have played 20 games or more this season. He and Gibson are in the top of high danger quality chances against, which are significantly tougher to face than other shots. And you ask if he should be a backup? To whom? You think he's on vacation playing in Vigneault's wild west system or something? A team that has a way below average defense, while still being in the top 3 in the division? Ever wondered why? Ever wondered why NYR has made the playoffs every seaon but one (lost in a SO to PHI in a deciding game where his teammates didn't do shit) since he entered the league?

There's no other goalie I would want in net for a playoff series than him, 35 years old or not. "Not top ten", who the heck do you have ahead of him? He's holding NYR in competitive contention, even behind a below average defense, still holding respective numbers and you hold him outside top 10? Again, who the heck are ahead of him? He outperformed Price last spring for a start. Is Price outside in the top 15 discussion, or is he still there "the best" out of Canadian reputation, despite doing nothing when he has to carry a mediocre team to success in the playoffs? Welcome to Lundqvist's career, but I guess you have an automatic handicap in that department if you're Canadian Jesus. One awesome season and basically being able to sleep in net behind Canadian behemoth teams in the olympics against dented opponents and you're set for life.

*plays the most consistent hockey seen during the last decade in NHL and then some*
*finally has a bad season, totally unheard of, I know, in a season where he still was good in the playoffs*
*isn't even considered a top 10 player in his position*

Speaking of Anaheim and Gibson, ask them what they thought of Lundqvist's "above average NHL goalie play" the other night. He stole that game, like he has done for a while now. Just another game in his career. But yeah, not a top 10 goalie. Better question yet, why is he still a starter?

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don't know how anyone can say that he's not playing like a top goalie right now. I call things how I see them and have not given him the kid glove treatment, which has been unpopular at times on here, but I'll always give credit when and where credit is due.

Lundqvist has been holding this team up, recently. The defense is putrid. McDonagh has been way too inconsistent. Shattenkirk has been suspect in his own zone. Smith showed up to camp out of shape and is trying to get back on the grind, but hasn't been good. Marc Staal is an absolute dumpster fire. Nick Holden hasn't been nearly as good as he was last year. Skjei has gotten worse defensively than he was last year. Luckily, they've played ok enough to keep them afloat while Lundqvist plays out of his damn mind and the offense is rope-a-dope for 40 minutes of a 60 minute game and has their select genius moments where they actually cash in and score.

As much blame as Lundqvist deserved for the past season and a half and the Ottawa series, he deserves the same amount of credit for this team's current success. Would love to see someone argue it.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Hank has been good of late. Still susceptible to the softy a bit too often.
What is annoying though, are the Hank fans who blame any and all bad goals/performances on the defense. Part of it is the Rangers system of defense, which allows teams better looks on occasion, but that argument doesn't hold up when you look at the performance of the Rangers back up goalies over the last few years. Their numbers were better than Hanks. They leave to play with another team and don't look nearly as good as they did with NY. So, is it really the Rangers who have the bad defense?
Pretty sure Oilers fans considered Talbot their MVP after McDavid last season lol.

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
Lundqvist is an excellent goalie, but I never find myself thinking "this guy is unbeatable"; experience shows that there is always something you can do to beat him. Hank also seems to let in a lot of soft goals for a top goalie.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
And when I say his ex teammates can't stand him I mean it. He is known as one of the biggest egomaniac's in the league

Dude how can you make such unsubstantiated claims? Lundqvist is one of the most beloved Rangers by the fans, the organization and virtually every player I've heard speak about Hank. Valiquette, Weekes, Biron, Raanta, Talbot all spoke extremely highly of Hank and they were his only backups throughout his career. You can read their exact words for yourself right here Backups share keys to Henrik Lundqvist success

If you wanna shit on Hank at least do some research and don't make bizarre claims which have no evidence behind them.

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
If he wore a different jersey, (Dallas, Preds, Wings....)I don't think you would find the hate as you do now.

Some fans simply can't get beyond the fact that the guy's home is MSG.

Look no further than the the innumerable posters of rival teams that have avatars that involve the Rangers falling, choking, failing...they hate the Rangers more than like their own team. The inferiority complex is impressive.

It is very sad.

Regardless, the vitriol is proof enough that HL is still a top goalie in this League.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I've called him out many times for yelling at his teammates on the ice - that should stay private.

But in fairness, he has spent all of his career behind Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, and the most idiotic defensive "system" I've ever seen an NHL coach employ.

You'd lose your temper too.
Look no farther than Carey price for a comparable. And remember prices all bonus regardless of play or lockout is 10.5 Million

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Strange how all great goalies of the past decade: Lundquist, Price, Luongo, Miller, Holtby, Rinne, and Bobrovsky will most likely retire without a Cup. Quick is the only exception.

Even Brodeur was held without a Cup post lockout once the game changed.

The carousel is going to continue this year when LA wins the Cup again.

It's the same 3 teams over and over again for a reason.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
If he wore a different jersey, (Dallas, Preds, Wings....)I don't think you would find the hate as you do now.

Some fans simply can't get beyond the fact that the guy's home is MSG.

Look no further than the the innumerable posters of rival teams that have avatars that involve the Rangers falling, choking, failing...they hate the Rangers more than like their own team. The inferiority complex is impressive.

It is very sad.

Regardless, the vitriol is proof enough that HL is still a top goalie in this League.
"Inferiority complex" implies envy to something great. Which Rangers aren't. Made the Finals once in 20 years. Big deal.

I hate the Rangers but Lundquist is a great goalie.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
"Inferiority complex" implies envy to something great. Which Rangers aren't. Made the Finals once in 20 years. Big deal.

I think it's more of a little brother syndrome when Dan Boyle spouting off on Larry Brooks gets more coverage than the Islanders winning their first playoff series in 20+ years.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Lundqvist is an excellent goalie, but I never find myself thinking "this guy is unbeatable"; experience shows that there is always something you can do to beat him. Hank also seems to let in a lot of soft goals for a top goalie.

You can say that about every goaltender who have played the game.

Twice.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I'm not a hater at all. I just don't like how he is so fast to blame others. And obviously I'm not alone. And I'm not going to name my sources. I probably shouldn't have mentioned that part.

I also don't understand when people see criticisms of players they like they fly into rage mode. We are talking about hockey players, not family members, relax.

You are fake news.

Reactions: belford222

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
good goalie for sure....

he sure likes to smash his stick however...not the best at controlling his temper...

but showing emotion in the NHL isn't a bad thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad