Hendricks to have hearing for hit on Aaron Ekblad - Suspended 3 Games

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Oh yeah, and I'm sympathetic to it. In the neck of the woods I learned to play competitive sports you were always looking for incoming. The very nature of how kids used to play. I come from the wrong side of the tracks where the intent to hurt would also be there, and stated. So if you gave a guy half a chance out there...

Well you get the jist.

One thing you haven't covered is that hockey used to be the pro sport domain of the working class kid from the working class neighborhood. The one who knew there would be fights, that you could get jumped at any time, and that that's what life just was like. Its not just on the ice or a football field I would have my head on a swivel. In the neighborhood it was more just a fact of life.

The contrast now being that pro players now largely come from more affluent backgrounds that are not as hard scrabble. So that lifes lessons learned away from the arena equate to the lessons not being learned at the arena.

So that the first time a smiling Sam Gagner, with a quality affluent background encounters a Zack Kassian, they're actually somewhat surprised such actions, people, and players exist.

Right... well the other part of my longer post above (about blindside hits and the arbitrary distinctions we now make) is that those rules of the jungle you describe ACTUALLY HAD SOME ETHICS.

If you were going to make a predatory, cheap shot hit, (a somewhat cowardly play)... you better back it up.

Now we're trying to regulate it out of the game... starting first by removing the deterrent to making such hits (retribution through pummeling) and it's no wonder that we have chaos.

I'd argue that the safety advocates didn't succeed in regulating ENOUGH of the nonsense out of the game (or they took too much), and Hall's hit is a perfect example.

Hall's hit was never OK on your best player, but it was commonplace in the jungle and you either learned to avoid it (because you were good enough) or your team would prevent it (because you were even better and to be protected). Thus it required a response from Hendricks.

Hendricks is too old school to draw a distinction between a hit in the numbers and a suicide crunch in the neutral zone.... because the sportsmanship ETHICS of the play are the same: Don't hit a defenseless player harder than necessary unless you mean it. If you mean it... be ready for retribution.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Right... well the other part of my longer post above (about blindside hits and the arbitrary distinctions we now make) is that those rules of the jungle you describe ACTUALLY HAD SOME ETHICS.

If you were going to make a predatory, cheap shot hit, (a somewhat cowardly play)... you better back it up.

Now we're trying to regulate it out of the game... starting first by removing the deterrent to making such hits (retribution through pummeling) and it's no wonder that we have chaos.

I'd argue that the safety advocates didn't succeed in regulating ENOUGH of the nonsense out of the game (or they took too much), and Hall's hit is a perfect example.

Hall's hit was never OK on your best player, but it was commonplace in the jungle and you either learned to avoid it (because you were good enough) or your team would prevent it (because you were even better and to be protected). Thus it required a response from Hendricks.

Hendricks is too old school to draw a distinction between a hit in the numbers and a suicide crunch in the neutral zone.... because the sportsmanship ETHICS of the play are the same: Don't hit a defenseless player harder than necessary unless you mean it. If you mean it... be ready for retribution.
heh, can't agree with this part but wish I could. The rules in the jungle I grew up in was that the mentally disturbed kids in the neighborhood that gravitated to gangs, hells angels, and jail in no particular order were always just mean and always wanting to lay a hurt down. Any chance they got. That had nothing to do with ethics it was nature and imperative.

But that's aside from the thread. ;)

As per your statement "Halls hit was never OK on your best player" sorry, but that is revisionist falsehood and typified by a player like Pat Quinn annihilating Bobby Orr with an open ice hit. Just as example.

When was this fair play code and ethics you speak of?

Sure wasn't when Teddy Greene was getting his skull cracked open and nearly killed on the ice with a bluntforce stick raining down on him.

These players today haven't seen anything like the dirty that used to exist in the NHL when enforcers roamed free.

I'm not sure if its a nostalgic notion but hockey, and particularly pro hockey was always a dirty game. With the constant being it was probably a lot more dirty back then.

MPStoEberletoHall*

You know the funny thing is if you played at Junior Level or higher and play a physical style then you realize that you are going to be getting penalties and suspensions.

Hendricks is leading the team in PIMS once again. How often does he complain after one of those borderline plays? It just comes with the style of game he plays. When you play this style regardless of what you think you are going to be more prone to penalties whether they are minor or major and suspensions. But it doesn't change who you are.

My point was that it is a fast game out there. If Ekblad wants to go back and pick up a puck while a guy is coming hard after him maybe he shouldn't be an absolute dumb*** and turn at the last minute? I'm not sure what he expected to happen. Should Hendricks know that he was going to turn? Imo this is on Ekblad, he should have done a better job protecting himself. Heck I learned that s*** at the Peewee level of hockey, right when body contract is introduced.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm worried that Hendo will now be afraid to hit fearing he'll get another suspension. That's how it all started with Torres.

Lol. Torres never changed his game once. He was a head shot artist when it was allowed and he's still one.

As for Hendo, this is a guy that put on a visor because of an eye injury and fought his first game. I really don't see him changing his game at all.

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
Matt Hendricks reaction to the NHL ruling..

x6YIT75.gif

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Youre absolutely right about this and I dont mind it. Next time someone hits McDavid wrong they should be taken to the guillotine. League needs superstars playing not on the IR.

I don't mind it either. I wonder what happens if instead that's a retribution hit on Gudbranson. Any suspension?

Either way we need more players like Hendricks. Hopefully with more skill though. Lucic, Horton, Marchand, Kelly etc were crucial players for the Bruins in their cup win. They laid out big hits and could put up points. Hendo would be an ideal 4th liner on any cup team. Let's hope Kassian fits in well and can provide something more, but in a similar fashion to Hendricks.

I would look into bringing in Steve Downie, and I think Chiarelli might look into that also. The guy put up 28 points in 72 games last year and 238 PIMs. He can play 3rd or 4th line minutes and would look great on a line with Hendricks or even RNH or EVEN McDavid. He spent time playing with both Crosby and Malkin and was effective. Let's not forget he was a first round draft pick, so the skill is there.

He would come cheap and would provide way more than anyone in our bottom 6 except Hendo. If we can run a bottom 6 similar to this, I think we are in great shape:

Pouliot-RNH-Downie
Hendricks-Letestu-Tootoo

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
1) I wish that the league had rules like this when Cooke and Ruutu played for the Canucks. Those guys would have only played every fourth game.

2) I have no objection to that suspension, and ten or more for his next one.

3) I really doubt that there would have been a suspension at all if it was Duncan Keith hitting Eric Gryba (or one of the Sedins for that matter).

4) IMO Ekblad needs to get a warning from the league tho if he takes another hit like that, I thought he turned into it to draw the penalty when I saw the hit the first time. In the NHL you have to be anticipating the hit in that situation or you're an idiot destined for a short career.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
As per your statement "Halls hit was never OK on your best player" sorry, but that is revisionist falsehood and typified by a player like Pat Quinn annihilating Bobby Orr with an open ice hit. Just as example.
That was a good example of what happens when someone passes you the puck from behind in the neutral zone. LD and Hall should have been taught not to make/receive a pass like that in midget.

It wasn't dirty imo, and LD & Hall were as guilty as the Panther who hit Hall.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
1) I wish that the league had rules like this when Cooke and Ruutu played for the Canucks. Those guys would have only played every fourth game.

3) I really doubt that there would have been a suspension at all if it was Duncan Keith hitting Eric Gryba (or one of the Sedins for that matter).

4) IMO Ekblad needs to get a warning from the league tho if he takes another hit like that, I thought he turned into it to draw the penalty when I saw the hit the first time. In the NHL you have to be anticipating the hit in that situation or you're an idiot destined for a short career.

Have you EVER heard of a player getting a warning from the league? They dont give a ****, look at the concussion protocol. The NHL is happy to take their money and spit out players that might be idiots. I really don't think Ekblad is an idiot for making that play, I don't think anyone that gets hit like that thinks about it one way or another until they're counting sheep and trying to remember which bench to skate back to. They won't protect Ekblad or anyone else any more than they have protected Lindros or others in the past. (god damn im straying from the point here!)

Sorry, I'm mad because I hate seeing players get banged up like this but its a part of the modern game. Hendricks did what a lot of fans and teams look for - he paid the other team back for a dirty hit they made on us first, and our team lacks backbone, on so many levels. I don't like that they can't just chuck a couple fists and be done with it anymore, now we gotta ruin someone's brain instead.

Edit: ok I just realized punching one another in the head might ruin someone's brain. Cmon now. I guess big hits at full speed worry me more, not to minimize what old-school fighters have gone through in/for their craft.

Last edited:

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
heh, can't agree with this part but wish I could. The rules in the jungle I grew up in was that the mentally disturbed kids in the neighborhood that gravitated to gangs, hells angels, and jail in no particular order were always just mean and always wanting to lay a hurt down. Any chance they got. That had nothing to do with ethics it was nature and imperative.

But that's aside from the thread. ;)

When was this fair play code and ethics you speak of?

Sure wasn't when Teddy Greene was getting his skull cracked open and nearly killed on the ice with a bluntforce stick raining down on him.

These players today haven't seen anything like the dirty that used to exist in the NHL when enforcers roamed free.

I'm not sure if its a nostalgic notion but hockey, and particularly pro hockey was always a dirty game. With the constant being it was probably a lot more dirty back then.

Your memory obviously pre-dates mine... to me Teddy Greene was just an Asst Coach to Muckler.

My point was that in those days (I was referring to the eighties)... it was done, but wasn't ok. If you laid out a star, you would pay for it, or your own star would pay for it... which would either lead to a bloodbath or to cooler heads... usually the former. But at least it was "fair" in the eye for an eye sense.

Hence teams with more talent or teams with only a single talent would tend to be very careful about poking the bear.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I don't know what a clean or dirty hit is anymore, so not sure I can comment.

Only thing I can really say is it's nice to see us being the ones playing on or past that line.
I'm confused too. Everybody is saying the Gudbrandson hit on Hall at center ice was clean yet it looked to me like he hit him up high. I thought hits NEAR the head area were illegal. Hendricks hit on Ekblad was in the same spot to his body, to me the only difference was that it was against the boards.

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
I'm confused too. Everybody is saying the Gudbrandson hit on Hall at center ice was clean yet it looked to me like he hit him up high. I thought hits NEAR the head area were illegal. Hendricks hit on Ekblad was in the same spot to his body, to me the only difference was that it was against the boards.

I think you need to watch both hits again.

The Gudbrandson hit was from the front, he didn't leave his feet or target the head. Frankly, it wasn't even that big of a hit, he just stood him up pretty good. That kind of hit doesn't even hurt.

Hendrick's railed Ekblad (who was in a vulnerable positon the entire time, probably on purpose). Hendricks hit him hard, from behind and with intent.

I know it's somewhat subjective, but if I were to show an example of a good hit and a very dangerous hit those two would be fitting.

Last edited:

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
I think you need to watch both hits again.

The Gudbrandson hit was from the front, he didn't leave his feet or target the head. Frankly, it wasn't even that big of a hit, he just stood him up pretty good. That kind of hit doesn't even hurt.

Hendrick's railed Ekblad (who was in a vulnerable positon the entire time, probably on purpose). Hendricks hit him hard, from behind and with intent.

I know it's somewhat subjective, but if I were to show an example of a good hit and a very dangerous hit those two would be fitting.
Hall could have been seriously injured by that Gudbrandson hit. It was a dirty hit.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Where was Dumba's suspension in October for a head shot on Korpi causing a concussion. Korpi missed 8 games and Dumba got nothing.
Yup. But that was just big talent hits scrub on league whipping boy team. Nothing to see there.
I know you take a lot of flak for posting the same thing over and over regarding officiating and the Great Conspiracy Against the Oilers.
But after an incident like this, I can see why you get frustrated. No way that hit is a three game suspension.
Its, scrub on league whipping boy team dared hit elite talent on important market for Bettman's Big Plan to Grow the Game.
Now that's a suspension. Automatic.
This league is so embarrassing.

How in the world do points three and four follow from point two?

Last edited:

Narnia

Mar 1, 2002
Surrey, BC
picasaweb.google.com
Yup. But that was just big talent hits scrub on league whipping boy team. Nothing to see there.
I know you take a lot of flak for posting the same thing over and over regarding officiating and the Great Conspiracy Against the Oilers.
But after an incident like this, I can see why you get frustrated. No way that hit is a three game suspension.
Its, scrub on league whipping boy team dared hit elite talent on important market for Bettman's Big Plan to Grow the Game.
Now that's a suspension. Automatic.
It happens too many times. Oilers are hated by Bettman, the NHL and the refs. It shouldn't matter which line a player plays on or which team he plays for, if its a dirty hit, it should be a suspension. Sick and tired of other teams getting away with cheap shots even causing injury but the NHL won't hand out a suspension. The NHL needs to treat all teams the same and not treat the Oilers like they're a pile of garbage.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It happens too many times. Oilers are hated by Bettman, the NHL and the refs. It shouldn't matter which line a player plays on or which team he plays for, if its a dirty hit, it should be a suspension. Sick and tired of other teams getting away with cheap shots even causing injury but the NHL won't hand out a suspension. The NHL needs to treat all teams the same and not treat the Oilers like they're a pile of garbage.

Sorry, I gotta stop you right here. The Oilers, as recently as 10 yrs ago, got a CBA pushed through the NHL that FAVORED the very few Small market teams when MANY teams and GM's were generally opposed to it. This CBA turned the NHL world around where teams with a big payroll were suddenly at a decided advantage and the small market clubs like Edmonton and Carolina parlayed this sudden windfall of capspace and countless player acquisition options (from all the clubs desperately paring down cap) all the way to the SC final. The NHL, within this decade, granted that CBA that afforded this small market club every advantage. Which we pissed away after that one year.

This team continues to be a textbook example of the worst way to run a pro sports team.

Any blame for how pathetic this club lies squarely on the management and ownership that perpetrated this abomination on its fanbase.

if the NHL, and Bettman "Hate" the Oilers maybe its because of what an absolutely awful, and uncompetitive team they have been on the ice.

Mowgli

Nov 14, 2014

Is that why they get more powerplays than their opposition? Is that why they've win multiple lotteries?

Your position is tinfoil hat worthy. I really wish people would stop making fanbases look so silly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad