[Tweet]686767602459406336[/MEDIA]

The Hit:
ParallelWellmadeAcaciarat

http://www.gfycat.com/ParallelWellmadeAcaciarat

Last edited by a moderator:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
its a fast game and things happen, clearly he turned away from the hit last second hendricks didnt have a chance.

*totally unbiased opinion

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Huh? I've seen much worse get absolutely nothing. The only reason this is a hearing is cause Ekblad is a star and Hendricks is a grinder.

I'm totally fine with that being penalized but the league is horribly inconsistent.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Loved the hit at that time given refs were letting everything go. The hit in isolation however shouldve been a boarding penalty and probably deserves a game just because of the player involved. League certainly wants to get rid of hits like these.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Loved the hit at that time given refs were letting everything go. The hit in isolation however shouldve been a boarding penalty and probably deserves a game just because of the player involved. League certainly wants to get rid of hits like these.

No. Just no.

Any incident involving potential suspension-worthy actions should have literally nothing to do with who is being hit, and should only take past-offenses into consideration in regards to the player doing the hitting. And unless I'm wrong, Hendricks isn't a dirty player in his career.

nightfighter

Aug 31, 2008
I don't think hendricks was even penalized for it at the time. he only went to the box for fighting right? And why didn't Florida get another instigator? Again, consistency thy name is not NHL.

rickysusedsht

Feb 25, 2015
Home of your Prince Albert Raiders
big surprise .it was a hit with a purpose and im sure thats why the nhl brass dont like it.hey it was that kind of a game there where alot of hits being delt out by both sides .hall gets layed out so we lay out someone and now its a problem...big big surprise what a joke:rant:

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Didn't like the hit at the time and was confused why there was no call. What followed after is troubling as well. Campbell charged up behind Hendricks who was no where near the puck and cross checked him across the back sending him to the ice in a clear attempt to hurt him, right in front of the ref and no call. Off the next faceoff, Jagr did the same thing to Hall, who was no where near the puck, and no call. Then Florida charged every Oiler that actually had the puck, for the next 2 minutes. No calls. This is how players get seriously hurt and all the ref's have to do is make the calls. Those ref's deserve suspension's.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Loved the payback for the Hall hit.

That clean hit on Hall was payback for the questionable/dirty hit on Ekblad and the clean hit on Huberdeau.

Hendricks can only go to the PB 3 times in a night and then he's booted from the game. He's one of our better bottom six forwards, so we can't afford to have him take that third fight. Wouldn't be surprised to see Gazdic in the line-up when we play the Panthers on our next road trip.

I was really shocked that the player actually got called with the instigator during Hendricks' first fight. I hardly ever see that get called anymore and if they called it 100% of the time and made it a 5 minute major I think things would be a lot better.

If the hit is clean then you can either go out and do something stupid to hurt your team OR your team can hunt down the oppositions' star player and smash him up with clean hits OR you can go to the bench and do nothing about it and cry about not being manly enough to play hockey.

Screw all of these dumb revenge fights. If you can't take a clean hit then you're a wimp and obviously shouldn't be playing in sports like hockey, rugby or football.

If the NHL can't punish players for going into the grey area then more players should be suing the league for not protecting them. Smashing people's heads in with your fists from all angles isn't going to accomplish anything and neither is breaking your hands over other players' heads and helmets.

I much prefer staged fights over fights which are retaliation to a clean hit. It literally pisses me off when players are forced to fight after landing a beautiful clean it. It scares a lot of players away from playing the body and given how much the speed of the game has been reduced it's hard to see as many good hits in one period as what we saw in the 2nd yesterday.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
deserved suspension IMO..thats a dangerous and dirty hit

having said that...I LOVED the response by Hendricks and worth the suspension IMO

My sentiments exactly.

Definitely suspension worthy. Definitely worth it to send a message.

I think he'll get a game or two at most.

Call Khaira back up.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know what a clean or dirty hit is anymore, so not sure I can comment.

Only thing I can really say is it's nice to see us being the ones playing on or past that line.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
It was borderline. Definitely lots of contact to the head but Ekblad turned and lowered his head just before it happened. He goes into the boards straight up and this hearing isn't happening. That's why it will probably be 1 game at most.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
lol homer views here.

The dirty hit had intent, it featured a charge, and should have been a penalty on the ice at the time.

Additionally Hendricks not content with how transparent that action was, completes the show, and removes any possible benefit of doubt by mocking the injured player, by indicating to Florida and anybody watching that it was payback, that it was revenge, and we got people here arguing it was nothing?

OMFG.

Hendricks knows what he was doing last night and he lost it. Two fights in the game, the hit, and a player that was completely crazed out there. The guy is so fed up he didn't even care anymore what he was doing or the hand he was showing.

Hendricks did everything last night but the patented throat slashing gesture.

Hendricks antics on the bench were ensuring his suspension.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Could go either way. I no longer have any idea what is and isn't allowed in the NHL. I have seen worse hits than this result in nothing and less dangerous hits get games. I can't image what it is like for an NHL player trying to tip toe through the minefield that is the NHL player safety rules.

That being said. I loved Hendricks game last night. Feisty and a real pain in the ass. The team needs more of that.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
This league is just plain garbage, seriously. Too bad, it's a great sport, but incompetent, clueless bozoz in charge are tarnishing the sport at the professional level, anyways.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
lol homer views here.

The dirty hit had intent, it featured a charge, and should have been a penalty on the ice at the time.

Additionally Hendricks not content with how transparent that action was, completes the show, and removes any possible benefit of doubt by mocking the injured player, by indicating to Florida and anybody watching that it was payback, that it was revenge, and we got people here arguing it was nothing?

OMFG.

Hendricks knows what he was doing last night and he lost it. Two fights in the game, the hit, and a player that was completely crazed out there. The guy is so fed up he didn't even care anymore what he was doing or the hand he was showing.

boo hoo... Yes it was payback and Hendricks made sure FLA players knew it and the EDM players knew it.. Its called sticking up for your player... You hit our star we will hit yours and not do a staged hug fest. Great on Hendricks for making that hit.

FLA player cross checking hendricks after the hit was also "revenge" play where Campbell lost his cool... There was clear intent to hurt Hendricks who wasnt suspecting.. Then the charge by the other FLA player forcing Hendy to fight yet again.

But yeh... do what you do best.... bash the Oilers every chance you get... seems to be the only purpose of some "fans" here.

Oilers showed balls for change... whoop D doo... pretty sure there would have been a thread from the same fans currently moaning about Hendricks antics had no one did anything about the hit on Hall.

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
Definitely should have called a penalty on the hit. Unfortunately Hendricks will probably get a game or two.

I'm so glad to see some push back, the team have been bystanders for far too long.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Huh? I've seen much worse get absolutely nothing. The only reason this is a hearing is cause Ekblad is a star and Hendricks is a grinder.

I'm totally fine with that being penalized but the league is horribly inconsistent.

Pretty much this.

I'm fine with him getting a small suspension. It's nice to be on this end of it for once though. Then again, when we are on the other side, the player who threw the bad hit against us gets away scott free.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
lol homer views here.

OMFG.

Meh, I think you're being a tad dramatic with the description of what happened and in particular the mocking gesture which I'm sure was towards Gudbranson and not the injured Ekblad.

Yes, it was a dirty hit. Yes, it is a suspendable hit but **** it, I'm glad that somebody stuck up for our players for a change and it's nice to not be on the receiving end of one of these hits for a change. I'm not big on retribution really especially if it's of a dirty nature but I'm glad that at least somebody gives a damn out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad