help

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
I am a second year bantam and am a big guy (6'1 180) and my biggest problem is I dont hit enough.... it's not like im scared but i am too cautious and don't want to over commit... how can i get over this mental barrier? thanks

edit: by the way I'm a defenseman

Predshockey17

Jun 16, 2003
Michigan
Visit site
I am the same size plus 40 pounds and a little older. I wish I could help you but hitting just came naturally to me. If you play drop in ever or just messing around it is best to try it then. Just don't hit anyone out of the blue. Ask if they want to play full contact.

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
Start hitting in the corners...little by little. When the other team is fighting for the puck and you're going to go cover him (as a D man) start using your body and get your feet wet in the sense that you start hitting comfortably in the corners. Once you're fine there your confidence will go up and you can start rubbing people out on the boards when they come down.

As far as open ice hitting I only did it a couple times, and those were the times that the other guy was just recieving a pass and I read the play perfectly so that as soon as he got the puck I hit him. So as long as you read the play right you can go for the hit...if you fall down and he lost the puck you did your job..just make sure you don't pinch in too far and lose your position.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
i dont really have a problem in the corners but its open i ce hitting tht need to work on.... like if some1's coming in one on one on me I tend to back in too far

Mar 4, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know if it will help for you but I always was taught to "stand up the blueline" meaning the closer the opposing guy is to the blueline the better. So keep in mind to stand up to him near the blueline. You dont always have to hit him. Rubbing him out or pokecheking the puck away from him is good enough.

And of course I probably shouldn't have to tell you but always keep your eye on the guy's chest....he can do whatever the heck he wants with his eyes or his stickhandling moves, but wherever his chest goes is where you go.

Mxpunk

Jul 3, 2004
RPV, CA
I dont think you need to really change your game as long as you provide solid D. If you're not afraid of the corners, then I don't see why you need to make great open ice hits. Sure, you'll stick out, but I imagine your coaches and teammates will appreciate your safe play rather than getting burned trying to make an open ice hit....Be yourself when you play!

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Taking the man in a 1v1 situation is only something you can learn with lots of practice. Go out to shinny with a buddy and work on it there or ask your coach to help you.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Mxpunk said:
I dont think you need to really change your game as long as you provide solid D. If you're not afraid of the corners, then I don't see why you need to make great open ice hits. Sure, you'll stick out, but I imagine your coaches and teammates will appreciate your safe play rather than getting burned trying to make an open ice hit....Be yourself when you play!

that's part of the problem... my coach doesn't know anything about defence and thinks you have to make a big hit in order for it to be a good play, my defensive coach likes my play but the head coach tends to sit people just because they don't hit enough for his liking.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I've been playing defense for about 25 years and I have coached a lot over the years also. All of the advice so far is good and true but defense is a philosophy that you need to understand so that you can play it well. You need to play defense on the offense. I don't mean be an offensive defenseman, what I mean is that you need to run the show, make the guy go where you want him too without him even knowing it. You don't react to them because then you're chasing, you make a move that makes them do what you want. Use the boards to your advantage, don't square up shoulder for shoulder with the guy, line up your outside shoulder with his inside one and give him the outside, he'll take it. Then crossover and turn and run him into the boards. A hip check is a good thing then but I definately can't explain how to do that on the computer.
As far as the open ice hitting, it's all about anticipating where the guy is going. My first suggestion would be to find a place to play where you can play forward. If you play it and understand how to play it you'll know what they want to do and where they're supposed to be. Then when you play D you'll know where people will be as the play develops. Find a spot you think the guy will be and be there when he gets there. Make sure your going forward, not backing up and definately not standing still. Most important thing in the open ice.......COMMITMENT!! Decide and then go, don't hesitate or you're done. You'll miss some in the beginning, but eventually it will just be a feeling and you'll just react. Good Luck!!

AG9NK35DT8*

Finn said:
I am a second year bantam and am a big guy (6'1 180) and my biggest problem is I dont hit enough.... it's not like im scared but i am too cautious and don't want to over commit... how can i get over this mental barrier? thanks

edit: by the way I'm a defenseman
I think your scared to hit cause if you do you will get into a fight. I just think you are scared to fight thatusually is the case most of the time when people dont hit, they are scared of what the consequence's could be.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
AG9NK35DT8 said:
I think your scared to hit cause if you do you will get into a fight. I just think you are scared to fight thatusually is the case most of the time when people dont hit, they are scared of what the consequence's could be.
He's a 6'-1" 180 pound bantam, he's got to be the biggest kid on the ice, who's gonna fight him? Sounds to me like his coach is out in left field and he's trying play his coaches game instead of his own and he doesn't want to sit on the bench for making a mistake. He'll figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad