Speculation: Help [MOD: Jets roster and pipeline strengths / weaknesses]

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
Red Wing fan here. Looking for some input from the fan base about what they think the Jet's respective strengths and weaknesses/needs are on the

1) NHL roster this season (immediate)

2) AHL pipeline (short to mid term)

3) Prospects (mid to long term)

Hoping for an realistic evaluation of your team.

Thx for the help.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Red Wing fan here. Looking for some input from the fan base about what they think the Jet's respective strengths and weaknesses/needs are on the

1) roster this season (immediate)

2) pipeline (short to mid term)

3) (mid to long term)

Thx for the help.

1) LD
2) LD
3) LD

I'm actually serious

1) For this season, with Trouba sitting out there is a hole in our top 4 left side (where Trouba was going to be played). It's pretty much the only hole we have given the insane competition for fwd spots and our 3 goalie situation. It looks like Josh Morrissey is going to fill that hole, but top 4 usage is a lot to ask of a rookie.

2) Assuming the aforementioned Morrissey makes the NHL this year, the LD pipeline starts to look pretty weak with only Logan Stanley (who many of us are not particularly high on) and Sami Niku (a 7th round pick) with legitimate shots at being NHL caliber players. Both of them are a ways away.

3) Apart from Morrissey, our only other NHL caliber LD is Tobias Enstrom, who's showing signs of decline and who's contract ends in 2 years. So even if both of our LD prospects turn out, we're left with a severe lack of depth in the long term. If we start now, we should be able to fill this need through the draft

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

Strength: Forwards depth. We have so many young guys fighting for a position on the team that we can't fit them all in. One of the free agents we signed (Howden) ended up getting assigned to the AHL (unless he was picked up on waivers? Not sure).

Weakness: LHD. Our best is probably Enstrom, and it falls dramatically from there. If we can't get an NHL ready LHD prospect, hopefully we can get a veteran NHL LHD with a few years left until UFA along with a prospect who will be ready by that time.

Strength: Forwards, for reasons mentioned above.

Weakness: Defense. Probably LHD, but I would feel having some good RHD prospects could also be useful. I'd love to see getting some depth LHD to play in the AHL.

D prospects, specifically LHD, but I wouldn't mind 1 or 2 good RHD prospects.

Thx for the help.

You're welcome. I wouldn't mind hearing from a Red Wings fan what you guys may need. 'Cause if it's depth forwards, there may be a trade available of our forward depth for some D depth?

Last edited:

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014

Thx for the help.

1) Strengths of NHL roster: Right D, Wingers, Depth forwards & Center
Weaknesses: Top pair Left D (if Trouba situation doesn't get sorted out.)
Unknown: Goaltending - Have amazing prospects, just need to see if Helle will be given a shot or we go with the known quantity in Pavs. Pavs has only had a league average save percentage once with the Jets and we made the playoffs that year. :help:

2) Strengths: Forwards, goaltending, depth defensemen that could hold the fort for a few games on the bottom pair when injuries hit.
Weaknesses: Potentially Elite talent D-men, assuming Morrissey makes the Jets.

3) Strengths: one of the strongest prospect pools in the NHL.

I can't help but think this in some way relates to a Trouba trade offer, but the reality is all that this team needs as a top pair left D to play with Buff. We were grooming Trouba to do that. We are bursting with prospects and depth players and will have many guys who should be in the NHL on the moose this year so really we just want that one piece to fill the hole Trouba is leaving and nothing else. We already can't find a place to play all our prospects. Here's how I see the rosters setting up:

Ehlers - Scheif - Wheeler (Ehlers switching back to RW once Laine and Connor both need top 6 minutes)
Laine - Little - Armia (Looks like Armia is getting the first shot but could be Stafford also. By the end of the year I expect Laine on the top line, Connor in his spot and Ehlers on RW)
Connor - Perrault - Burmistrov/Stafford
Matthais - Lowry - Burmistrov/Stafford
Thorburn, Tanev

Enstrom - Myers
Morriessey - Buff
Chiarot - Postma
Stuart

Moose Roster:
Lemeiux - Petan - Dano
Howden - Copp - Kosmachuck
De Leo - Roslovic - Lipon
Peluso - Bloomquist