Help me out here

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn_kemp*

well they need an excuse, so they use the bigger ice excuse

but as surprising as it may sound, I agree with this excuse. In 2002 Canada beat USA who plays pretty much the same style but is just worse at it. And in the semifinal Canada had not matchup. That leaves Finland ... well, they obviously played better in 2002, but IMO Canada is almost impossible to beat on small ice because the way they cycle in the offensive zone can only be achieved on that small rink.

Regency

May 17, 2004
Toronto
You won't win many hockey games by being shutout in 11 of 12 periods...doesn't matter whether you're playing on an NHL or International ice surface.

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Kinbote said:
Wasn't Salt Lake City a big ice surface? I'm pretty sure it was, so if that's the case why is everyone using that for an excuse for Canada's poor performance?

I haven't heard of that excuse much. Team Canada had greater problems to deal with well before worrying about big ice. Teamwork would be the top of my list of concerns.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
How is that an advantage or a disadvantage, if the other teams--composed of mostly NHLers--also play on that same surface. Now, if a national squad of players that play mostly in Europe had won the tourneys, I'd say these critics have a point. Otherwise, they're fumbling for excuses--and desperately so.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think the big ice had much to do with it, execpt that some of the members of team Canada aren't suited for it, leading to bad penalties and so on.

Neither do I think the trap has much to do with it. If anything Canada played the trap more than the russians did.

I think the problems are almost purely internal. Canada should be able to put up a team that is among the best on big ice and no matter what strategy the opponent uses. This one didn't. They never really got going offensively or defensively. The results are even less flattering considering they had among the best goaltending in the whole tournament. I do think this failure will have concequences for the composition of future canadian teams. Perhaps sacrifice some size and physicality for speed and passing, especially on defense.

thebodyczech

Dec 5, 2005
Freudian said:
I don't think the big ice had much to do with it, execpt that some of the members of team Canada aren't suited for it, leading to bad penalties and so on. QUOTE]

But the Russians, whom you referred to, are mostly NHL players, who are by now accustomed to the smaller surfaces. It's only an advantage to the Germans, the Italians, the Swiss, and the Latvians. Their players are accustomed to the larger surfaces. Most members of other teams aren't (save for younger Euros like Olesz and Malkin, and maybe even Gaborik).

Bloggins

Dec 1, 2005
Kinbote said:
I've heard a few people use that excuse including Ron MacLean. But when Canada won the gold in SLC it was on big ice, so that's a totally bogus argument.

It's bogus :)

Balej20*

Kinbote said:
Wasn't Salt Lake City a big ice surface? I'm pretty sure it was, so if that's the case why is everyone using that for an excuse for Canada's poor performance?
They only won because of the lucky Canadian coin in the ice at Salt Lake. Otherwise the suck ;)

muffin with tentacle

Jan 28, 2006
Ottawa
Wow. Okay guys, we lost. You don't need to rub it in. You had your fun now go cheer on your countries. Thought the Olympics were about sportsmanship 'n such?

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Kinbote said:

All Olympic hockey is always played on the "big" IIHF standard ice size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad