Help me choose a team

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
ok. short version of my story is that I'm a huge hockey fan and madly in love with a Swedish woman, and after visiting Sweden over xmas, combined with the lockout, my interest in the SEL shot through the roof. I went to the HV71-Brynas game and loved every second.

this might be quite simple for some of you to answer because I only have 3 choices: Frolunda, HV71 or Vaxjo. this is because my girlfriend's entire family all live in the south of Sweden, around 1hr south of Jonkoping. I want to be able to go and watch my team live as much as possible!

positives I feel for each:

HV71 - team success in recent years and currently, already been to a game (which I loved - hovi won), probably the easiest stadium to get to from home

Frolunda - 12k stadium (attractive in principle at least), very close to either Gothenburg airport which is where we fly to from London

Vaxjo - ... two players from gf's tiny home town (Gislaved), kind of it...

help me choose! :handclap:

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
Frölunda! We'll get a new coach next year with a more offensive philosophy and we'll be playing funnier hockey. A lot of yonug players are rumoured to join the team as well. It will be a team rising to the top of the SEL. :)

GBGglenn

Jan 5, 2013
If you're there to feel the atmosphere during the games (loud crowd etc). Then you should not pick Frölunda since they are not famous for the support and chants. ^^

But since im a Frölunda fan myself i'd have to say Frölunda. :laugh:

Coffe

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2010
Stockholm
My advice to you is to go to 1 homegame (preferably more) for each team and go with your gut feeling. This should be a decision for you to make, not users on this boards.

But since you're asking, I'll say Hv71.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
I say Växjö! I wasn't very interested in the SEL before, mainly because I didn't have any teams close to me - I didn't feel loyalty to any particular team. However, both because of the lockout, but also since their late success leading to the promotion of SEL, I've settled for Växjö. It's a young club, they have a very good management, and they're in the starting pits, kind of. I used to root for Hv71 I suppose, being a team from Småland and all, but Växjö was always closer to me, anyway. They have a good arena and fanbase going, and I just generally like the team, town, and their "plan". Being a new fan - maybe that's a good club to go for?

Wendy Clear

Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
I say Växjö! I wasn't very interested in the SEL before, mainly because I didn't have any teams close to me - I didn't feel loyalty to any particular team. However, both because of the lockout, but also since their late success leading to the promotion of SEL, I've settled for Växjö. It's a young club, they have a very good management, and they're in the starting pits, kind of. I used to root for Hv71 I suppose, being a team from Småland and all, but Växjö was always closer to me, anyway. They have a good arena and fanbase going, and I just generally like the team, town, and their "plan". Being a new fan - maybe that's a good club to go for?

i kind of want to pick them, a team to "grow with", but to be honest as a caps fan and kansas city chiefs fan (worst team in league last year, havent won a damn playoff game since ive been a fan), its pretty depressing never winning anything. :shakehead

hz

Aug 7, 2010
It dose not get real if you simply choose a team, the team should choose you in a way. With that being said even if im a Frölunda fan all these teams are kinda of "plasty", and have pretty lousy athmosphere. A half-full hovet certainly beats a soldout Scandinavium.

FakeKidPoker*

ok. short version of my story is that I'm a huge hockey fan and madly in love with a Swedish woman, and after visiting Sweden over xmas, combined with the lockout, my interest in the SEL shot through the roof. I went to the HV71-Brynas game and loved every second.

this might be quite simple for some of you to answer because I only have 3 choices: Frolunda, HV71 or Vaxjo. this is because my girlfriend's entire family all live in the south of Sweden, around 1hr south of Jonkoping. I want to be able to go and watch my team live as much as possible!

positives I feel for each:

HV71 - team success in recent years and currently, already been to a game (which I loved - hovi won), probably the easiest stadium to get to from home

Frolunda - 12k stadium (attractive in principle at least), very close to either Gothenburg airport which is where we fly to from London

Vaxjo - ... two players from gf's tiny home town (Gislaved), kind of it...

help me choose! :handclap:

Just be a fan of MoDo.. it'll be pretty sweet when Peter and Markus make another comeback in 5 years.

Lugaid

Hajlajtreelmål!
May 28, 2008
Stockholm
i kind of want to pick them, a team to "grow with", but to be honest as a caps fan and kansas city chiefs fan (worst team in league last year, havent won a damn playoff game since ive been a fan), its pretty depressing never winning anything. :shakehead

I think it's not TOO unlikely Växjö could win the SEL in a few years, depends on the moves they make, but AIK for example was re-promoted only a few seasons ago, and has had success in the playoffs. It'll be even sweeter when they *do* win! :nod:

Wendy Clear

Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
just for clarity, i posted this thread to get any kind of feedback really, and to...show up in the sweden forum. hopefully i'll be here often. looking very seriously at moving there in fact! anyway, its not like i created a poll and will do exactly as it says here.

those whove said go with your gut and the team will choose you are right. thats exactly how i picked my current teams and how i'll choose this. and its not like they'll be by favourite team of all - been rooting for the caps for years, and i only know very, very basic swedish, so following them isnt exactly easy. its really just about developing a more keen interest for when i visit, or move, to sweden.

Doghandler

Jul 9, 2010
Sweden
just for clarity, i posted this thread to get any kind of feedback really, and to...show up in the sweden forum. hopefully i'll be here often. looking very seriously at moving there in fact! anyway, its not like i created a poll and will do exactly as it says here.

those whove said go with your gut and the team will choose you are right. thats exactly how i picked my current teams and how i'll choose this. and its not like they'll be by favourite team of all - been rooting for the caps for years, and i only know very, very basic swedish, so following them isnt exactly easy. its really just about developing a more keen interest for when i visit, or move, to sweden.

HV all the way :P Also Gislaved huh ? Nice little town, I studied there for a year before going off to the Army. Great parties at Gärdesgatan !

e91a

Mar 14, 2011
Sweden
Worst teams you can choose from in the SEL. Plastic, plastic and again plastic. Hv + Växjö are just.. wow.

e91a

Mar 14, 2011
Sweden
Errr? What differs between a "Plastic" SEL team and a non-plastic one, then? Elaborate.

One fact? Klappor as it's called in Sweden. Paper things instead of clapping with ur hands.
Speaker that thinks he's the cheerleader.

Two of the thing's that makes this trio very plastic.

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
HV is the way to go. They've been one of the two best teams since 2000(the other is Färjestad) and they're a fun team to watch, especially this year where they constantly get in 2 and 3-goal deficits before they turn the game around.

Wendy Clear

Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
yeah it's HV I think. went to their game, had a great time, it's basically the home team. haven't been entertained at all watching frolunda. vaxjo is just...eh.

thanks guys. looking forward to visiting kinnarps again in early april!

Rutkowski

Jul 13, 2012
Uppsala, Sweden
Awesome! If there's one guy you need to know it's Johan Davidsson. He is a machine that, other than a short time in the NHL and Finland, have spent the entirety of his adult career on the team and he started back in '92.

Swedish playmaker*

I don't understand how people can "pick" a team and really root for them without any real connection. I like the Caps because of Ovetjkin and Bäckström, but I don't really support them like I support Djurgårdens IF. Cheering for Djurgården came naturally 'cause I grew up in Stockholm where it's either Djurgården or AIK (or Hammarby for some lost souls)

It's like North Americans having several favorite teams in the NHL, wtf?

Guess I'm pretty conservative. ;)

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden
I don't understand how people can "pick" a team and really root for them without any real connection. I like the Caps because of Ovetjkin and Bäckström, but I don't really support them like I support Djurgårdens IF. Cheering for Djurgården came naturally 'cause I grew up in Stockholm where it's either Djurgården or AIK (or Hammarby for some lost souls)

It's like North Americans having several favorite teams in the NHL, wtf?

Guess I'm pretty conservative. ;)

There is no problem with following a non-home town team. Sure if you got a home town team then it is natural to follow it. Otherwise you start to follow a team for whatever vague reasons and get into it - it grows on you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad