OT: Help fellow Jets

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hello my fellow Jets brothers and sisters,

What I am about to write may be too much for some, but I have a hard time discussing this with people irl, so I thought id ask my hfjets buddies. If mods feel this is out of place, deleting will not upset me.

I have very recently been diagnosed with a very mild form of aspergers, and I am having a pretty hard time coming to terms with it tbh - I am in no way writing this for people to go easier on me, I like it here and have always felt comfortable and home amongst all you hockey fanatics, especially here on hfjets.

I am writing this, so that it may explain some of my weirder interactions, and also to see if any other Hfjets are aspies, or know alot about it - would be cool to interact with people in the know.

However misplaced this thread may be, it feels good to get out to someone, even if it is online.

Yours truly,

Astro

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

What I am about to write may be too much for some, but I have a hard time discussing this with people irl, so I thought id ask my hfjets buddies. If mods feel this is out of place, deleting will not upset me.

I have very recently been diagnosed with a very mild form of aspergers, and I am having a pretty hard time coming to terms with it tbh - I am in no way writing this for people to go easier on me, I like it here and have always felt comfortable and home amongst all you hockey fanatics, especially here on hfjets.

I am writing this, so that it may explain some of my weirder interactions, and also to see if any other Hfjets are aspies, or know alot about it - would be cool to interact with people in the know.

However misplaced this thread may be, it feels good to get out to someone, even if it is online.

Yours truly,

Astro
I am not an aspie or anything, but I just wanted to say good luck and don't let his get you down.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg

Yours truly,

Astro

Honestly, it would be very difficult to tell if someone was diagnosed with some form of ASD just from their postings.

Pretty sure no one here treats you any differently / will treat you any differently, so don't sweat it, dude. Keep your chin up, it's almost hockey season!

PredsHead

Nov 14, 2018

Yours truly,

Astro

Preds fan coming in peace, just happened to see the thread title on the main page and was intrigued. Unfortunately I have no personal insights, wisdom or advice to offer, just wanted to wish you the best of luck in dealing with this. I would imagine it took some guts to put that out there, so good on you for doing it. Hopefully just talking about it more openly will begin to make it easier for you.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yours truly,

Astro

No problem with this thread.

It may even be a symptom of your condition that you find it easier to talk about it here with virtual friends than live with material friends.

JMO, but you shouldn't let yourself have too much difficulty accepting the diagnosis. You are the same person you were before the label was attached to you. Having this knowledge should only help you to be a better version of yourself. You will now have access to help in better dealing with your symptoms.

Hope this little comment is coming through as positively as I intend it. :)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Astro, I consider you to be one hell of a great kick ass guy. Have you ever seen the movie The Accountant? For me, you are the guy that makes things right in the world. For being open about it here with us, that's how I think of you. One hell of a great kick ass guy.

Movie Review of The Accountant from an autistic perspective
Wow, thanks buddy, those are some nice words right there, I truly appreciate it.

And yes, I have, that is one great movie. Again thanks!

Also, thanks for the review link, that was quite the interesting read:)

Preds fan coming in peace, just happened to see the thread title on the main page and was intrigued. Unfortunately I have no personal insights, wisdom or advice to offer, just wanted to wish you the best of luck in dealing with this. I would imagine it took some guts to put that out there, so good on you for doing it. Hopefully just talking about it more openly will begin to make it easier for you.

Cheers, those are kind words.

It was not easy, but knowing how people are here, made it easier :)

No problem with this thread.

It may even be a symptom of your condition that you find it easier to talk about it here with virtual friends than live with material friends.

JMO, but you shouldn't let yourself have too much difficulty accepting the diagnosis. You are the same person you were before the label was attached to you. Having this knowledge should only help you to be a better version of yourself. You will now have access to help in better dealing with your symptoms.

Hope this little comment is coming through as positively as I intend it. :)
I agree, it is not easy for me to talk to people irl about this stuff.
Only close family know about it, not even good friends or colleagues. But I do consider you all very good virtual buddies.

I have come to really enjoy frequenting hfjets.

It comes thru very positive and re-affirming, I will get there, I just need a little time adjusting to it.

Last edited:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Might not help, but there's a local comedian with aspergers - he plays a lot of smaller venues here, but I don't recall his name. Might be able to find it via google search, but perhaps he could be an information resource?

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137

Yours truly,

Astro

Astro, you kick ass man. Always enjoy your posts and your game day antics so don't worry about changing, just keep doing you :)

Anton Hipchekhov

Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for letting us know more about you, Astro!

I find this site a wonderful escape from the "real world". It's helped me at times and I hope it can do the same for you if/when you need it.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Might not help, but there's a local comedian with aspergers - he plays a lot of smaller venues here, but I don't recall his name. Might be able to find it via google search, but perhaps he could be an information resource?
Yeah for sure, if you remember the guys name, please let me know:)

Astro, you kick ass man. Always enjoy your posts and your game day antics so don't worry about changing, just keep doing you :)

Thanks buddy, and likewise.

Thanks for the heartwarming answer :)
Thanks for letting us know more about you, Astro!

I find this site a wonderful escape from the "real world". It's helped me at times and I hope it can do the same for you if/when you need it.

Yeah, I agree, this site has been a great source of escapism for me personally.

I am super overwhelmed by all the positive responses.

Again thank you all ❤️

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I believe Adam Schwartz is the comedian mentioned.

I think Mortimer said it best. This doesn't change who you are. Every positive thing you've done in your life, you've done while being the exact person you are right now. The only thing this does is gives you further insight into who you are and equips you to better understand some of the things you do and allows you to better deal with them should you feel the need to. This isn't a negative development in your life, I promise.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I believe Adam Schwartz is the comedian mentioned.

I think Mortimer said it best. This doesn't change who you are. Every positive thing you've done in your life, you've done while being the exact person you are right now. The only thing this does is gives you further insight into who you are and equips you to better understand some of the things you do and allows you to better deal with them should you feel the need to. This isn't a negative development in your life, I promise.
Thanks, I will look him up.

And thanks, I know, it just takes some time to adjust!

But all the positive feedback here, certainly makes it alot easier!

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017

Yours truly,

Astro
I don't know that much about your thing, but I'd like to say, you can share. We value you as you, not for syndrome. And you are brave enough to speak about it. We got your back. I have my health issues, but since it is been so long (from serious case of sleeping disorder, and that just one thing), I try to be positive and not share too much. It's not that I don't confront these things, it's just that I've gotten used to these things.

Also, just for you, I will say my last year was pretty much for losing my father for stomach cancer. And went so quick also, when diagnosed, it was already too late. No chemo or anything to give hope.

So I'll tell you this. I've had interactions with Jets fans in private and they will help you. And also, just you saying "aloud". It's a good thing. We all have things that could be better in a sense.

You just be you, there's nothing wrong with that. If I knew you in person. Wouldn't matter. So keep on being positive and enjoy this fandom, by being yourself.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don't know that much about your thing, but I'd like to say, you can share. We value you as you, not for syndrome. And you are brave enough to speak about it. We got your back. I have my health issues, but since it is been so long (from serious case of sleeping disorder, and that just one thing), I try to be positive and not share too much. It's not that I don't confront these things, it's just that I've gotten used to these things.

Also, just for you, I will say my last year was pretty much for losing my father for stomach cancer. And went so quick also, when diagnosed, it was already too late. No chemo or anything to give hope.

So I'll tell you this. I've had interactions with Jets fans in private and they will help you. And also, just you saying "aloud". It's a good thing. We all have things that could be better in a sense.

You just be you, there's nothing wrong with that. If I knew you in person. Wouldn't matter. So keep on being positive and enjoy this fandom, by being yourself.
Awesome post buddy.

And I am very sorry to hear about your father, you have my condolences,

Yes, this is simply the best subforum on all of hf, hands down.
People are awesome in here, differences or not.

Again thanks for sharing - Stuff like that helps!

Reactions: backwards motion

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Sad to hear that you have to go through something like that. Honestly I don’t know much about dealing with Asperger, but I can at least imagine that to be diagnosed with something that probably is a part of you for the rest of your life is probably scary and even depressing in some ways.

I wish you strength with dealing with this new knowledge about yourself. But on the other hand it’s maybe good to remember that you were yourself and did probably fine in many ways before you got your diagnosis, and you are you and will most probably do the same way fine in most of the things in your life from now on, just like you did before you got your diagnosis. Take care anyway!

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Sad to hear that you have to go through something like that. Honestly I don’t know much about dealing with Asperger, but I can at least imagine that to be diagnosed with something that probably is a part of you for the rest of your life is probably scary and even depressing in some ways.

I wish you strength with dealing with this new knowledge about yourself. But on the other hand it’s maybe good to remember that you were yourself and did probably fine in many ways before you got your diagnosis, and you are you and will most probably do the same way fine in most of the things in your life from now on, just like you did before you got your diagnosis. Take care anyway!
Thanks bud,

Scary yes - Depressing at first, not so much anymore :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad