Equipment: Helmet Recommendations

rbarker26

Jan 3, 2013
Nor-Cal
Looking to buy a new helmet. I currently have the Bauer 1500, I want to get something that looks better and offers more protection. Right now, I am looking at the Reebok 8K/7K, Bauer 4500, CCM Vector 10. I would like to stay in the $100 budget. Also looking to put a visor on it. Appreciate any recommendations, thanks

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
It's actually really easy. Forget brand, model numbers, types of technology (foams, gels, liners etc.) and get the helmet that fits you the best.

Best protection = best fit. End of story.

Now say if you end up with two helmets that fit equally well, then we can get into some of the differences, but for now, start, and hopefully end, with that.

rbarker26

Jan 3, 2013
Nor-Cal
I was actually planning on going to local hockey store and try some on. I most likely will end up buying online, the prices are cheaper compared to the store's prices.

ean

Nov 27, 2007
I looked at new helmets recently and was disappointed in what I saw on the market. Im not sure helmet padding technology has improved over the last 10 years. In fact the inside of the bauer helmets I looked at seemed almost the same as my 5500 that is at least 10 years old. Easton seemed like their stuff was even less protective than what youd find previously since they tried to make their buckets light as a feather. All very surprising considering whats going on in the NHL as far as head injuries.

kr580

Who knows.
Aug 9, 2009
California
Im not sure helmet padding technology has improved over the last 10 years. In fact the inside of the bauer helmets I looked at seemed almost the same as my 5500 that is at least 10 years old.

It's kinda hard to keep your brain from smacking your skull. No helmet technology is ever going to prevent your brain from sloshing around. There's only so much absorption they can engineer into a 1/2" thick barrier.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I was actually planning on going to local hockey store and try some on. I most likely will end up buying online, the prices are cheaper compared to the store's prices.

Try bringing evidence of those prices to the manager and explain to him that you need to get the right fit first and see what he can do.

Otherwise, you're treading on very touchy moral grounds here by using your LHS as a 'fitting station', wasting their time and not giving them a cent.

Bengerm77

Aug 9, 2012
Try bringing evidence of those prices to the manager and explain to him that you need to get the right fit first and see what he can do.

Otherwise, you're treading on very touchy moral grounds here by using your LHS as a 'fitting station', wasting their time and not giving them a cent.

Plus a bajilllion. If everybody used the store as a fitting booth and then bought online the store won't sell anything and go out of business. Then you can't even try stuff on anymore, you're going to have to buy blind. If you try it on there, buy it there.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I currently use the Cascade M11 and my helmet was a high end Reebok before that, have not had any issues with fit, comfort or protection. My Reebok cracked in the front so I replaced it but will probably go back due to the great ventilation they offer. I look for 2 things when I buy a helmet, comfort and which one has the biggest vents. Playing rec league in So Cal it can get hot inside the rinks, my head needs to breathe.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Why'd you get an M11 then? :laugh: I have an M11 Pro with the 'new and improved vents' and there's zero airflow. :(

They looked OK when I bought it, I ended up taking out the plastic inserts where the vents are to increase air flow. Reebok still blows it away, people don't realize how much heat those helmets can trap and when you're playing rec league on those extra long ineffective shifts it can really catch up to you.

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
I know Hockey Monkey just had a sale on the Easton Z-Shock and are currently having a sale on the CCM V10.

Like the above posts, buy in the store if your going to try them on there and the best fit equals the best protection. For me, my Z-Shock fits perfect and is comfortable with good airflow and lightweight.

I'd say go to your local store and bring a couple print outs of competitors prices to see if he can match the price at best. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
+1 on "try them all on", the best helmet is one that doesn't move around on your head. They all pass the same certification testing.

+2 on "buy from your local store", help keep them in business so you don't have to order your tape and laces online too.

Personally I go for whatever fits and then whatever feels like it has the most air flow and comfortable pads. The new Easton feels super comfy but I think the tradeoff would be extra heat and warmth.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Why'd you get an M11 then? :laugh: I have an M11 Pro with the 'new and improved vents' and there's zero airflow. :(

Wow, looked at the M11 pro yesterday, much less ventilation than the regular m11 I have. Think I'm gonna get a white 11K after looking yesterday, the high end Easton was very light but I have an egg head so it looks very weird. Not impressed by the Warrior, Bauer or CCM's, they all just seem to be changing the padding inside and not changing looks or ventilation.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I ripped the vents out of my M11. It looks funky now but whatever. Kind of reminds me of my old Mission Intake. I wish I could get another of those, so comfortable.

I kind of like how the helmets are going to either baseball cap or knob adjustments over screws, but more helmets could stand to improve the padding, especially the middle models. I don't know why I have to pay $150-200 just to get some padding (beyond the VN/EPP protective stuff).

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I ripped the vents out of my M11. It looks funky now but whatever. Kind of reminds me of my old Mission Intake. I wish I could get another of those, so comfortable.

I kind of like how the helmets are going to either baseball cap or knob adjustments over screws, but more helmets could stand to improve the padding, especially the middle models. I don't know why I have to pay $150-200 just to get some padding (beyond the VN/EPP protective stuff).

On the M11 Pro the vents are much smaller. I ripped out the inserts as well, they serve no purpose other than let less air flow through.

rbarker26

Jan 3, 2013
Nor-Cal
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will end up buying locally. Another question, will the cage on my current bauer fit on any other helmet I decide to get? Or do the brands on the helmets and cages have to match?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
They don't HAVE to match. As long as it fits with the helmet and your face.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I own a Reebok 6K and absolutely love it. Then again, the Bauer series fit my head weird. As others have said, you have to try them on.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
If your old bucket is a bauer. Try on the 5100. I use it, less than $100, looks modern & plenty of them in the NHL.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Both the mid- and high-end Bauer cages are fantastic IMO.

I've used a lot of different helmets and you really want to try your cage with them. On my Reebok, the chin cup sits right on my chin and on my M11, it hangs maybe 1/2" lower. Just a heads up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad