Hellebuyck in the Central Division

If Hellebuyck played in the Central Division would he win the Vezina this season?

• Total voters

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
We all know that Northern defence/goalies couldn't stop a beach ball, leading to abysmal stats like Hellebuyck's egregious .920 SV%. On the other hand though, we rarely talk about how the Central teams seemingly don't know how to score. Vezina-favourite Vasilevskiy luckily gets to play in that dead-puck-style gauntlet, where he has emerged with an impressive .929 SV%.
Imagine though that we lived in a world where Hellebuyck played for a Central team - would he Hasek his way through that offensively-challenged division and pick up another Vezina?

( :sarcasm: in the spirit of all these fun recent hypotheticals, apologies in advance)

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
5547n9.jpg

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Hard to say. The Jets aren't great defensively either way, so that's a hindrance, and the Jets would have to play Tampa's offense, which Vasi gets to avoid. He would probably have better stats based on competition, so his odds would be higher, but he'd likely still be in the same pool of 3-5 guys who are the in the mix currently.

ThatsSoSlavin

Aug 23, 2018
Depends on what team he’s placed on imo, goalie stats generally are heavily influenced on the quality of players a team is icing and the system in which they play

imagine him on Colorado

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Central can't score or Central has stacked defensive teams?

Could be either, but people like to blame the relatively high-scoring North for having "terrible defence" rather than talking about their stacked offensive teams

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Could be either, but people like to blame the relatively high-scoring North for having "terrible defence" rather than talking about their stacked offensive teams

I mean, they are pretty terrible compared to TB, Dallas, Carolina, Nashville, etc.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Remember when you tried to say Shesterkin was better than Helle :laugh:

No, I said he’d be more likely to have a better season because Hellebuyck is very inconsistent.

And as should come as no surprise, Shestyorkin has statistically been better.

But I guess like with other North goalies, Markstrom and Price, excuses apply for him and he’s apparently actually a lot better than his numbers indicate. That of course isn’t extended to other goalies, only a select few in the North division.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
No, I said he’d be more likely to have a better season because Hellebuyck is very inconsistent.

But I guess like with other North goalies, Markstrom and Price, excuses apply for him and he’s apparently actually a lot better than his numbers indicate. That of course isn’t extended to other goalies, only a select few in the North division.
No he hasn't lol what are you talking about.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

You took the sample size of his first 4 seasons and concluded that he was going to continue following a good year-bad year pattern. In that you decided to include as an example, again to an already very small sample size, a year where the average sv% in the league dropped significantly due to changes in goalie equipment size. It was a pretty bad take.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You took the sample size of his first 4 seasons and concluded that he was going to continue following a good year-bad year pattern. In that you decided to include as an example, again to an already very small sample size, a year where the average sv% in the league dropped significantly due to changes in goalie equipment size. It was a pretty bad take.

And his SV% has dropped once again. He’s been worse this season than last season.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
And his SV% has dropped once again. He’s been worse this season than last season.

Are you speaking facetiously? This is a strange argument :laugh:
(also note that the difference between .919 and .922 is a total of 3 goals so it's not a huge change, never mind having to face McDrai and Matthews all the time)

Reactions: snowkiddin

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
In the Central defense vs Central offense debate, I'd just like to say that if you don't think its the defense, then you're saying its a lack of offensive firepower that has the Carolina Hurricanes 4th in the league in goals against this year. Look, I'm a fan don't get me wrong, but even I'm not going to say that all of Petr Mrazek, James Reimer, and Alex Nedeljkovic turned into Vezina contenders during this past offseason.

Reactions: jetsforever

Gritty4Hart

Oct 19, 2018
In the Central defense vs Central offense debate, I'd just like to say that if you don't think its the defense, then you're saying its a lack of offensive firepower that has the Carolina Hurricanes 4th in the league in goals against this year. Look, I'm a fan don't get me wrong, but even I'm not going to say that all of Petr Mrazek, James Reimer, and Alex Nedeljkovic turned into Vezina contenders during this past offseason.
The offense in the Central isn't any worse than it is in other divisions, maybe the East has the most offensive firepower but it's not by much. Comparing the Central with the North is basically a wash. Tampa, Carolina, and Florida have just as good a forward group as any of Edmonton, Toronto, and Winnipeg do. Defense is what makes this debate interesting. I'd probably take four or five defenses from the Central before even considering a North team's defense. Depending on which team Hellebuyck played for his numbers could definitely be better in the Central but it's all obviously hypothetical.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Are you speaking facetiously? This is a strange argument :laugh:
(also note that the difference between .919 and .922 is a total of 3 goals so it's not a huge change, never mind having to face McDrai and Matthews all the time)
Zoinks, what an embarrassing take by that gentleman. Hellebuyck’s SV% is a whopping TWO percentage points lower than last year and his GAA is lower than last year’s as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad