Recalled/Assigned: Helenius and Desjardins sent to Syracuse

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Waivers are already in effect? The season hasn't even started yet

Waivers are always in effect if the player is eligible for them.

To be honest I wouldn't care too much if either guy got claimed but I doubt they do at this point as the claiming team would need to keep them on their NHL roster.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Waivers are always in effect if the player is eligible for them.

To be honest I wouldn't care too much if either guy got claimed but I doubt they do at this point as the claiming team would need to keep them on their NHL roster.

Really? I thought they came into effect just before the start of the regular season.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Really? I thought they came into effect just before the start of the regular season.

Sorry I should clarify. I didn't mean literally every second. I more so meant always in effect in the "playing season".

You are correct that there's a period before the regular season. Old CBA was 12 days before the regular season starts, we are 10 days away currently, so that would be why they have to go through waivers. Assuming that timeframe number wasnt changed in the new CBA, which I honestly don't know.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Sorry I should clarify. I didn't mean literally every second. I more so meant always in effect in the "playing season".

You are correct that there's a period before the regular season. Old CBA was 12 days before the regular season starts, we are 10 days away currently, so that would be why they have to go through waivers. Assuming that timeframe number wasnt changed in the new CBA, which I honestly don't know.

Oh wow, you're right! We're a lot closer than I realized. I doubt they get picked up though, since as you said they would have to be carried on the NHL roster. If they ever get sent down then we have the option to take them back.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
The following players were sent to Syracuse/Juniors. None of them need to clear waivers. (Note Brassart & Olson were on PTO's and can be assumed to be added as bonus picks [re: BoltProspect's bonus picks article]).

• Brady Brassart (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Danick Gauthier (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Henri Ikonen (Kingston, OHL)
  • Slater Koekkoek (Windsor, OHL)
  • Charles Landry (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Max Langelier-Parent (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Dan Milan (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Joey Mormina (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Eric Neilson (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Nikita Nesterov (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Carl Nielsen (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Drew Olson (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Evan Rankin (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Tanner Richard (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Artem Sergeev (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Luke Witkowski (Syracuse, AHL)

Is it me or was Koekkoek promised a few NHL games (re: 9 game tryout) by Yzerman?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
The following players were sent to Syracuse/Juniors. None of them need to clear waivers. (Note Brassart & Olson were on PTO's and can be assumed to be added as bonus picks [re: BoltProspect's bonus picks article]).

• Brady Brassart (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Danick Gauthier (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Henri Ikonen (Kingston, OHL)
  • Slater Koekkoek (Windsor, OHL)
  • Charles Landry (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Max Langelier-Parent (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Dan Milan (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Joey Mormina (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Eric Neilson (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Nikita Nesterov (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Carl Nielsen (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Drew Olson (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Evan Rankin (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Tanner Richard (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Artem Sergeev (Syracuse, AHL)
  • Luke Witkowski (Syracuse, AHL)

Is it me or was Koekkoek promised a few NHL games (re: 9 game tryout) by Yzerman?

When was he promised this?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I vaguely recall something like that now that it's been mentioned.

First I'm hearing about it. I don't understand why Yzerman would promise a kid coming off of a serious injury while playing in the OHL a guaranteed 9 game tryout. Doesn't make sense to me.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
First I'm hearing about it. I don't understand why Yzerman would promise a kid coming off of a serious injury while playing in the OHL a guaranteed 9 game tryout. Doesn't make sense to me.

I think...and again I'm hazy on this, that that's why he was sort of promised 9 games. To show him that the organization was sticking by him.

That may have been a Guy Boucher thing though. It did enter the public space via SFY.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
It was during that event where Yzerman was talking about the team to a group of (fans?). It was where Yzerman sounded nervous and he kept stuttering. The top prospects were introduced, I believe Vasilevski was there as well.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It was during that event where Yzerman was talking about the team to a group of (fans?). It was where Yzerman sounded nervous and he kept stuttering. The top prospects were introduced, I believe Vasilevski was there as well.

SFY doesn't stutter. Your brain can't comprehend his voice.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
I'm surprised to see Blujus make the cut rather than Koekkoek. Why are the Lightning keeping him around for another look rather than sending him down to the OHL? I can't see him being in consideration for the 7th defenseman spot along with Barberio/Taormina/Sustr/Lee.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm surprised to see Blujus make the cut rather than Koekkoek. Why are the Lightning keeping him around for another look rather than sending him down to the OHL? I can't see him being in consideration for the 7th defenseman spot along with Barberio/Taormina/Sustr/Lee.

Blujus just had a knee thing done, so he'd be out 2-4 weeks anyway.
https://twitter.com/Missy_Zielinski/status/380028031991304192

The OHL regular season has already begun as well so there's probably a bit of pressure to get guys who aren't going to make it back to their teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad