Confirmed with Link: Hejduk to have his number retired 1-6-2018

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Look at it this way. Once his number is retired it will be at least 10 years until the next one is up there. Probably more. Can't really see any current active player making a case for it.

Yep... Landy might be the closest, but even he has a long, long ways to go there.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
He deserves this, no question.

Now some other local heroes need to be honored in the same way:
-Shannon Sharpe is the greatest tight end of all time. His #84 should never have been re-issued.
-Larry Walker put the Rockies franchise on the map. His #33 should also be retired.
-Ralph Simpson was the leading scorer for the Nuggets during the ABA years
-Fat Lever deserves it too
-Brian Langtry put TWO lacrosse franchises on the map in this town with his charisma and unmatched effort and passion. The Mammoth retired his number but for some reason the Outlaws didn't.
-John Grant Jr just recently retired from both leagues and is arguably the best lacrosse player who ever lived.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
#77 should only be up in Boston and no one should question that. Foote was awesome but not retiring his number awesome. Hedjuk I cringed a little at first but I can see why he's up there. I'm on the fence here.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The writing was on the wall when they asked Beauchemin to change his number from 23 when he signed here.

The way the league is going, I think the players who stick with one team for their whole careers are going to be a relic of a bygone age soon. The league is getting younger and more ruthless. Franchise players who pass their primes are going to start being forced out by young guns and traded or sent to UFA more and more often. And it's going to be hard for teams to retire numbers for guys who wore 2-3 other jerseys after they spent their primes with them unless they're truly elite like Iginla for Calgary.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
#77 should only be up in Boston and no one should question that. Foote was awesome but not retiring his number awesome. Hedjuk I cringed a little at first but I can see why he's up there. I'm on the fence here.

Foote was retire his jersey awesome, as was the Duke.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I absolutely think Duke deserves it. Considering the way the organization at times felt like they were doing their best to sever any link between Quebec and Colorado even makes this a more easy decision. Henchy's post regarding the AVs stats drive this home.

I will go so far as to say that if Hejduk's entire career was exactly the same but he played for Toronto, New York or Montreal, there would be quite a few people debating whether or not he should be in the Hall of Fame. In my opinion, there are less worthy players enshrined. That doesn't mean he should be in, it just means I think the HHOF has a bit of an east-coast NHL bias.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
His Avs numbers

#2 in goals (375)
#3 in assists (430)
#2 in points (805)
#1 in games (1020 next is Sakic at 870)
#1 in power play goals (140)
#1 in game winning goals (59)
#3 in playoff points (76)
#3 in playoff goals (34)
#4 in playoff assist (42)
3rd captain of the franchise
Olympic Gold Medal Winner
Stanley Cup Winner
Rocket Richard winner 02-03
3 Time All Star

I think he has more than earned this honor.

http://avalanchedb.com/blue/StatFinder/mresults.php

He was also extraordinarily loyal to the franchise.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Jokerit is the king of useless retired numbers with Kurri's 17 (never worn in a Jokerit jersey, I believe) and Tikkanen who played one season with Jokerit. Bourque is in that category. Hejduk is nowhere near.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well deserved he had some bad years after the lockout but he busted his ass and was still a beast at times.

I think HOF and jerseys are different level. Hall of Fame should be about a player and their impact on the game as a whole. They very best of the best. A jersey being retired should be about a player's impact on the organization. I'd argue outside of Roy and Sakic, Hejduk might have the 3rd largest impact.

The only number I have an issue with being retired is Bourque, and if you look at the recent history of the team... it will be a long, long while before somebody else gets their number retired.

Foppa is ahead of the Duke.

Yeah, it at least a decade from DUchene's jersey ceremony.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Duke was number 4 on my "deserved" number retirement list. Sakic, Roy, Forsberg then Hejduk. The rest are questionable.

Glad he is getting his number in the rafters.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I rank Ray as my favorite player of all time, but call the Duke my favorite Avs player of all time. I know that sounds a bit dubious but whatever.

I really am not bothered by the #77 retirement (obviously I'm biased). It's done, there are no set rules for jersey retirements, the Avs have nothing to answer for. As for #23, there is, IMHO, only one number that deserved it more, and that's Super Joe's 19. Obviously there have been better players to wear the jersey, but of all the greats only Hejduk and Sakic stayed with this team/franchise for their entire careers. I realize that's sacrilege to say someone deserves a jersey retirement more than Foppa but it's not like I'm dissing Peter the Great.

Milan could play the role of slick, speedy sniper and he could also be the gritty guy who took punishment in the slot to score dirty goals. And he could adapt his playing style to virtually any linemate (much as I still love Matty Duchene, this is one thing I feel he doesn't do well). He doesn't get near-enough credit for how complete a player he was. The only time I ever saw him absolutely look out of his depth was when they VERY briefly had him man the point on the power play. He looked soooo nervous out there every time the puck landed on his stick. :laugh: Yeah, that experiment ended very quickly.

Gonna try like hell to get tickets for this. Driving from Nebraska to Colorado in early January is not fun though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
based on what? hes done nothing.

Read the post again... I said a 'long, long ways to go.' :nod:

Landy has the basics of being a captain (at the time youngest in NHL), good player (he's been a 1st line level winger his whole career except last year), Calder winner, public face of the franchise... Landy needs playoff success and 5-6 more good to great seasons.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
I'm fine with it because of the status quo established during the glory era. But this needs to be the last and a new status quo with a higher standard needs to be established.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Foppa is ahead of the Duke.

I get the argument between the two... Foppa shined brighter (much brighter), but for a shorter amount of time. Hejduk was here 14 years and was a captain. IMO they are 3rd/4th and could be lined up at either and I wouldn't debate much.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
The only number I have an issue with being retired is Bourque, and if you look at the recent history of the team... it will be a long, long while before somebody else gets their number retired.

inb4 Tanguay gets his number on the rafters a year from now. :rolly:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad