Hejduk´s 1000th game: Highlights of his career

EurolancheDavid

Official news: http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=653917&navid=DL|COL|home

Bio: http://avalanche.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8460577

What is your opinion on Hejduk? I translated his bio from English to Slovak yesterday and I was a little bit shocked how many milestones and team reacords he has reached. I knew before he is great, but I did not know how much! And because that I am surprised how many fans easily wanted his retirement after the last season, his first bad year in the NHL. For now, I like his play in this year. He has still one of the best shots in the league and very, very, very smart hands.

My first highglight of his career is the Winter Olympics in Nagano 1998. He won the gold medal and then get a chance in the NHL.

hejduk_nagano.JPG

--------

Btw, I prepared small contest for you: All of you will have a chance to win Hejduk´s signed photo. All what you have to do is send us answers on the following three questions to [email protected]:

1. In how many consecutive seasons Hejduk scored at least 20 goals?

2. If Hejduk would get an invitation to play for the Czech Republic national team on the next winter Olympics, will he accept it or not?

3. Where you can join the Eurolanche? (if you are not our member now, you have to join us for get a chance to win)

Deadline is set for the start of tonight´s game. We will make a draw and choose one winner amongst the fans who sent us right answers on all three questions.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The last few seasons have tarnished his legacy.

I disagree. He will always be great when I look back. The way he is playing now will be totally forgot about in 2-3 years, instead what will be remembered is when he played along side Forsberg and scored at a near PPG pace (with 30-40g) for the middle of his career.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
The last few seasons have tarnished his legacy.

He could have abandoned ship if he wanted to, but he stuck through the rebuilding years, mentoring the young kids. Nothing will tarnish my thoughts of the Duke.

El_Loco_Avs

Jul 6, 2003
The Netherlands
He could have abandoned ship if he wanted to, but he stuck through the rebuilding years, mentoring the young kids. Nothing will tarnish my thoughts of the Duke.

His play has tailed off yes, but he is still an incredibly classy player. Despite his lesser play I think we're lucky he's still with us. :)

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I have never understood talk about players worrying about their "legacy" anyway. Play your heart out till you can't bring it anymore. Then pack 'em up. Let everyone else worry about your "legacy".

You'd think most players would think of it that way anyway.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
Congratulations to Duke from a Panthers Fan. The guy is a class act. 1000 games played. It's hard to wrap my mind around that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Congratulations to Duke from a Panthers Fan. The guy is a class act. 1000 games played. It's hard to wrap my mind around that.

Awesome handle and avatar, man. :laugh::handclap:

Personally, Hejduk went way up on my list of all-time favorite players in his later years. When they paired him with Stastny, he went from being an elite finisher who depended on speed and puck cycling to create space to a player who created a lot of his own offense (skating the puck out of the zone, battling in the corners and along the wall) and became more of a two-way player. He also scored goals, but they were more "blue collar" type of scores that required he take some punishment in front of the net. He completely changed his game when he went from being centered by guys like Sakic and Forsberg to guys like Stastny. He is most definitely the most important player in Avs franchise history behind Sakic, Forsberg, and Roy. My only regret was that he didn't get the Captaincy sooner.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Since the Avs just love to be so ridiculously over the top about these things (re: Sakic Under Glass, Todd Gill getting a commemorative stick and then being released a few games later) they'll probably show a highlight reel set to really bad music (I'm guessing Nickelback), give his family a tacky gift (they've already done the big painting and custom golf cart, so maybe a giant statue of Pierre Lacroix), and do something not at all in line with the character of the player himself to "honor" him (maybe preserve his helmet, stick, and jock in resin and place it in the Pepsi Center concourse). Overall a very classy and modest guy will be forced to look as uncomfortable as Bar Refaeli did in that Super Bowl ad.

But the good news is that he'll get a very well-deserved standing ovation from the fans. That'll be fun to watch.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Since the Avs just love to be so ridiculously over the top about these things (re: Sakic Under Glass, Todd Gill getting a commemorative stick and then being released a few games later) they'll probably show a highlight reel set to really bad music (I'm guessing Nickelback), give his family a tacky gift (they've already done the big painting and custom golf cart, so maybe a giant statue of Pierre Lacroix), and do something not at all in line with the character of the player himself to "honor" him (maybe preserve his helmet, stick, and jock in resin and place it in the Pepsi Center concourse). Overall a very classy and modest guy will be forced to look as uncomfortable as Bar Refaeli did in that Super Bowl ad.

But the good news is that he'll get a very well-deserved standing ovation from the fans. That'll be fun to watch.

Indeed. The things they do to honour the players is just...embarassing. Usually some huge caricature painting that makes them look mentally challenged. Oh boy. Put that in your living room.

Idiots.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Although his offense has gone down, and he's been stuck playing with pluggers in his twilight years, I've never actually seen him be a liability out there (except when he was playing hurt and was skating really slowly last year). Says a lot about the guy.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Although his offense has gone down, and he's been stuck playing with pluggers in his twilight years, I've never actually seen him be a liability out there (except when he was playing hurt and was skating really slowly last year). Says a lot about the guy.

The one and only time I've ever seen him look completely out of sorts was when Sacco had him run the point on the power play. He clearly looked uncomfortable there and thus, it was a short-lived experiment. It was kind of a silly thing to do, since putting him there doesn't play to any of his strengths as a player.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

I will always be a fan. Duke has been an outstanding player and from all reports just an all-around classy guy. We've been lucky to have him on our team for so long.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO

I actually laughed out loud at this

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
Duke is a class act person , a player who could have made a lot more cash , but always gave the Avs an hometown discount.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad