Heiskanen-Makar vs Dahlin-Fox

Which one would be your preferred as your longterm LD-RD defense pairing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The Avs injuries and offseason departures certainly affect the 5v5 numbers, there is only one line that can score consistently. Leading the league in ice time and being more of a complete all situations Dman doesn't help the scoring either, easier deployment and reduced minutes would keep Makar more fresh.

Makar is still a PPG Dman though for the 3rd straight year. No other Dman in the league does it more consistently.

Guessing the "more mouths to feed" argument that was posted by certain Avs fans in the Makar vs Karlsson threads turned out to be false then. It's almost like it rather might be a certain skill set to produce with lesser talent on your roster. :rolleyes:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Guessing the "more mouths to feed" argument that was posted by certain Avs fans in the Makar vs Karlsson threads turned out to be false then. It's almost like it rather might be a certain skill set to produce with lesser talent on your roster. :rolleyes:
Not sure what you are trying to prove here. Makar has been a PPG player in every season except his rookie year, that seems to be the norm for him and there is no other Dman in the league currently that has been able to match his production. The fact that he does it while playing a steady two-way game is highly impressive.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Not sure what you are trying to prove here. Makar has been a PPG player in every season except his rookie year, that seems to be the norm for him and there is no other Dman in the league currently that has been able to match his production. The fact that he does it while playing a steady two-way game is highly impressive.

It shows that Makar produces really well when playing with MacKinnon and Rantanen on the PP, but not good at all when playing with lesser teammates. His two-way game can only be considered in 5v5, and there his numbers are not impressive.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
It shows that Makar produces really well when playing with MacKinnon and Rantanen on the PP, but not good at all when playing with lesser teammates. His two-way game can only be considered in 5v5, and there his numbers are not impressive.
Yeah this is not how it works. Not going to go trough the numbers but in the last seasons he has produced no matter who was on the ice and often took over the games where one of those two were injured. There is a reason he is considered the teams best player and won the Smythe.

I will give you that this season his production has been largely dependent on the PP. He isn't as impressive as last season at least so far. The bar was set pretty damn high though, it's going to be difficult to match it.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Yeah this is not how it works. Not going to go trough the numbers but in the last seasons he has produced no matter who was on the ice and often took over the games where one of those two were injured. There is a reason he is considered the teams best player and won the Smythe.

I will give you that this season his production has been largely dependent on the PP. He isn't as impressive as last season at least so far. The bar was set pretty damn high though, it's going to be difficult to match it.

Could it just be that he played for a much deeper team last season and he mostly played with other stars? Without anyone of Rantanen, MacKinnon, Kadri, or Nichushkin on the ice, Makar was on the ice for 8 goals for 5v5 for Colorado and had a 44GF%. And this in 340 minutes of play. That's not very good.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
I reject the idea that Makar is some kind of product of his forwards. It doesn't support the eye test at all.

I don't think so either, and just to be clear, I have him as the best D in the league but with some competition sniffing his rear. All the people claiming that he would make bottom feeding teams contenders, way better than Karlsson at his peak, or that he's the second coming of Orr just gotta relax a little bit.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I don't think so either, and just to be clear, I have him as the best D in the league but with some competition sniffing his rear. All the people claiming that he would make bottom feeding teams contenders, way better than Karlsson at his peak, or that he's the second coming of Orr just gotta relax a little bit.
That we can agree on. The Orr talk cannot be taken seriously and EK's peak was damn impressive, the difference between Karlsson is not much.

Makar has had a ridiculous start to his career though. If he can stay healthy the numbers will rival the all-time greats, however it's way too early to know.

Reactions: Buck Naked

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
The Aves are actually terrible 5v5 without Mackinnon on the ice. Makar's 5v5 impact is interchangeabe with a pylon who has a slapshot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad