Heat, Condors heading outdoors

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Will the ice stay cold?

Yes. The couple of ice plants the NHL has (which might be utilized for this in advance of Winter Classic) can handle the 40-50+ degree weather. (And with covering the ice while the sun is on it, helps more, and pushes practice skating until late afternoon, depending on orientation of rink/shade.)

The big issue might be rain. ("Godzilla" El Niño is expected this winter.)

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
I wonder if this a gauge to see how much interest Sacramento has in pro hockey.

Possibly, the new Golden 1 Center in downtown Sacramento looks awesome and will be open next year for the NBA Kings. The Sharks seem committed to keeping the Barracuda in SJ but I think they would be better served in Sac.

Sac has hosted preseason and neutral site regular season games in the past during the late 80's and expansion era 90's. The city used to host 1 Sharks preseason game every year until the iceplant broke at Sleeptrain Arena about 10 years ago. I'm sure that will happen again when Golden 1 opens.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
I agree, a team in Sacramento (or Oakland even) would be better suited, it would expand the range of the Sharks. Save those dates for concerts!

I wouldn't be surprized if San Jose puts a team there in 3- 5 years, if not maybe they'll try a San Francisco scenario by adding an ECHL team and moving them up if they do well.

It would be cool to see a San Jose - Sacramento - Oakland

San Francisco could work, but not with the Cow Palace.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Interesting to see more of these outdoor games in the AHL, curious to see what the turn out will be.

Should be a sellout, Raley Field is a nice small 10,000 seat stadium with room for 4,000 more on a general admission lawn space in the center-right field area.

I've seen a few RiverCats games there and they always have good attendance, they've led AAA baseball in attendance for the last 15 years.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
There's very little "viewing" ability from 10' and below playing surface.

So, not sure what "lawn space" might be utilized. For safety issues, there's usually no patrons within 50+ feet, in case a puck goes flying.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

So, not sure what "lawn space" might be utilized. For safety issues, there's usually no patrons within 50+ feet, in case a puck goes flying.

Ummm, no. There's usually no fans within 50 feet because of the way the rink is set up to maximize ticket sales. If you were to build the rink to one side of the outdoor venue to get fans that close you'd be reducing the value of the seats you've now places far away from the action.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville

I was referring to the sloped hill lawn area called "Toyota Home Run Hill" that is behind the center-right field wall and has always been the general admission area for RiverCats games to catch home run balls.

It's also being utilized for the hockey game with the cheapest ticket prices of $20. There are approx 10,000 fixed seats in the stadium and another 4,000 can fit in that lawned hill area.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Wouldnt mind seeing the AHL or any other minor league scratch these outdoor games all together. NHL "winter classics" are ok because they are special. Once a year, designated game day like New Years, and really an epic entertianment & sporting event to showcase the game on an international platform. That just does not happen at the AHL level and the production costs more then what they get in return. The game in that dome up in Syracuse last year, nobody outside of the AHL fan base knew about or even cared. The crowd was impressive yes but that dome in Syracuse is nothing more then metal bleachers in an oversized inflatable dome. If the AHL game can be done inconjunction with maybe an NHL game or NCAA college game package then thats not a bad thing. I dont even like the "Stadium Series" much. Keep it a one time event, Winter Classic is special.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Wouldnt mind seeing the AHL or any other minor league scratch these outdoor games all together. NHL "winter classics" are ok because they are special. Once a year, designated game day like New Years, and really an epic entertianment & sporting event to showcase the game on an international platform. That just does not happen at the AHL level and the production costs more then what they get in return. The game in that dome up in Syracuse last year, nobody outside of the AHL fan base knew about or even cared. The crowd was impressive yes but that dome in Syracuse is nothing more then metal bleachers in an oversized inflatable dome. If the AHL game can be done inconjunction with maybe an NHL game or NCAA college game package then thats not a bad thing. I dont even like the "Stadium Series" much. Keep it a one time event, Winter Classic is special.

I disagree.

The Winter Classic is not special anymore, it was special when one thought their NHL club would get a chance to play in it and then realized the league only wants to showcase its marquee players in the U.S. NHL cities of the northeast over and over again.

Someone like me on the west coast, or really anybody west of the Mississippi will never get to see a "Winter Classic" in these parts because the NHL doesn't care to stage them out here. That's why they created the lame "Stadium Series" moniker to accomodate us.

I didn't go to Levis stadium last year because I didn't want to pay $100 for nosebleeds a mile away from the rink. If they would've had the game at AT&T park I would've gone because it's a smaller stadium in a better location. There is no bad seats at Raley Field and I think its wonderful they want to play there.

This is minor league mind you, not the NHL and this game is for us hockey fans in Cali and to grow it for neutral and non-hockey fans here. What's wrong with that? It's not like they're ruining the outdoor experience when this game probably won't even be televised.

Mark7

Nov 27, 2012
I agree, a team in Sacramento (or Oakland even) would be better suited, it would expand the range of the Sharks. Save those dates for concerts!

I wouldn't be surprized if San Jose puts a team there in 3- 5 years, if not maybe they'll try a San Francisco scenario by adding an ECHL team and moving them up if they do well.

It would be cool to see a San Jose - Sacramento - Oakland

San Francisco could work, but not with the Cow Palace.

San Francisco will have a new arena in a couple of years for the NBA Champion Warriors, but the team owner has bigger ideas for hockey in the venue... http://www.csnbayarea.com/sharks/warriors-owner-lacob-wont-rule-out-arena-share-sharks

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
This season ~1/3 of the Barracuda home games are the same day as a NHL Sharks game.

My guess is that in about 3 or so years, the Sharks might host another outdoor game, perhaps at the AT&T stadium in SF. That would be a perfect opportunity for an AHL outdoor game at the same venue.

Goldenshark

Sep 16, 2007
Vacaville
Will the ice stay cold?

If anybody's wondering, it's 45 degrees right now in the Sacramento Area and it's raining and windy. This is the kind of Winters that Sac used to get but for the last few years didn't because of the dought. Maybe things are returning back to normal, there's been a lot of cold rain storms so far this season, but hopefully it won't rain this Friday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad