Head to head in the playoffs Ovechkin has more points than Crosby

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Ovechkin has been very successful on the PP against the Pens, no doubt. He's also been a better playoff performer than people give him credit for. Having said that, from just watching all three series, I thought Crosby was the better player in 2009 and 2017, especially when it came to big moments. The way they are utilized is also quite different. One is out there taking a face-off defending a one-goal lead while the other is usually on the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: radapex and Kalv

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That is a pretty surprising stat actually. Doesn't say much about who's better or who's the better leader or who has the best team though.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Ovechkin blew it in game 7 last season all the stats in the world don't help when you give the puck away. Good news for him is he has another chance to slay the dragon.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
OP we know how this works. By the end of this series Sid will have more.

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
1. When stats are in favor of Crosby - "I told you he is better player!"
2. When stats are NOT in favor of Crosby - "Just watch games, he does so many valuable things that do not accumulate to points!"

On a serious note, one can't compare wingers to centers. Center is a way more valuable position by default and Crosby MUST do those "many valuable things that do not accumulate to point".

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Unless of course you're one of the best goal scorers in the game and when it counts and is all on the line... comes up short.
It'd be interesting for someone to find Ovechkin's stats during the 2nd round and see if this actually holds up.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Its sad how much hate he gets. If you switch his and Crosbys nationalities there would be very different perceptions of each player

He gets hate because he's unable to carry a line anymore, thus hurting his team. Let me know when Ovechkin outscores Crosby without needing an elite linemate to do it.

PenguinSpeed

Oct 4, 2017
1. When stats are in favor of Crosby - "I told you he is better player!"
2. When stats are NOT in favor of Crosby - "Just watch games, he does so many valuable things that do not accumulate to points!"

On a serious note, one can't compare wingers to centers. Center is a way more valuable position by default and Crosby MUST do those "many valuable things that do not accumulate to point".

-For those that dont remember last year. Crosby had 4 points in the first 2 games on Washington ice, Pittsburgh won both games. In game 3 a few minutes into the game Ovechkin slashes Crosby in the back then Niskanen on the same play crosschecks Crosby in the face. Dirty Niskanen was ejected with game misconduct. Crosby played 2 minutes in the game, suffered a concussion, the Pens lost in overtime. Crosby missed the next game because of Concussion. After playing 2 total minutes in games 3 and 4, Crosby put a point up in Game 5, 6 and 7 after a concussion. Pens win the series.

-I fully expect Washington to physically try to injure Crosby on purpose. Washington has pulled their goonery for 3 decades going back to the Dale Hunter and Dino Cicarelli days. One of the top cheap shot artist teams in the entire NHL. Refs should be aware after the leagues best player suffered another concussion against these goons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad