Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt IV — Rangers get permission to speak to Ruff

Status
Not open for further replies.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I'm seeing a lot of negativity towards AV but not a whole reasoning why. Seems like a good fit considering the team's wants. Can someone sum up why he isn't the guy?

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
While that is true, his strengths in terms of coaching aren't going to change.

Isn't that what got Torts fired, inability to change it up ? ;)

I think for many years Buffalo relied on youngsters since they could not afford the high price guys, at times, they overachieved during those years. New ownership gave them the ability to load up, and that ended as an underachievement and removal of Ruff.

But really no matter who is brought in, again, they said it since they canned Renney, they want that guy who will take them the 'next step'. I can't see any scenario where a new coach comes in and employs all that he believes in team building. Win now is the mantra I've been hearing for awhile now and the new coach will have to adjust to that, right away, and successfully. Tall order.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Isn't that what got Torts fired, inability to change it up ? ;)

I think for many years Buffalo relied on youngsters since they could not afford the high price guys, at times, they overachieved during those years. New ownership gave them the ability to load up, and that ended as an underachievement and removal of Ruff.

But really no matter who is brought in, again, they said it since they canned Renney, they want that guy who will take them the 'next step'. I can't see any scenario where a new coach comes in and employs all that he believes in team building. Win now is the mantra I've been hearing for awhile now and the new coach will have to adjust to that, right away, and successfully. Tall order.

I agree, and I don't see any of those coaches available. Torts was one of the only ones with a Cup.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
HAvent been on in days. I was reading the tippett stuff after eakins was hired and it occurs to me that we have a really good relationship with Pho. Could it be possible Sather and maloney have already discussed things and Tippett is on his way as soon as the contract is up?

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
HAvent been on in days. I was reading the tippett stuff after eakins was hired and it occurs to me that we have a really good relationship with Pho. Could it be possible Sather and maloney have already discussed things and Tippett is on his way as soon as the contract is up?

They have a good relationship, but that doesn't mean Maloney will be doing Sather any huge favors just because.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Funny. These guys must be lying to you before they become coach of the Rangers.

....or, just maybe, after gauging the personnel vs. the top teams in the league, the last 2 coaches decided to coach a more defense oriented system.

A new coach mandated to open things up combined with no major depth moves is a recipe for disaster next season. Be careful what you wish for.

Yup I do question whether we have the horses to run. I DONT think we should be and should have been as bad and unwatchable as we were though

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Ruff is another John Tortorella kind of personality. We don't need that again. We need someone who's more of a player's coach. Would rather rehire Renney than hire Ruff.

Kershaw

I'm warming up to the idea of hiring Tom Renney.

He adjusts his team pretty well according to roster level. Doesn't demand too much from youngsters and holds veterans accountable.

Also, perfect guy to blame.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
John Shannon‏@JSportsnet2h
After a tip from @ian_mendes, Sure sounds like Alain Vigneault is on his way to Palm Springs to talk to NYR brass. #coachonaplane

The plot thickens...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Stars are interested in Torts

#NYR Can confirm Dallas has interest in John Tortorella. DAL hasn't yet requested permission to speak w/him but NYR unlikely to stand in way

https://twitter.com/KatieStrangESPN/status/344143881589370882

Torts has 2 or 3 years left on his contract. The Rangers would save some money if Dallas hired Torts. Vigneault has 2 years remaining on his VAN contract.

I Am Chariot

One shift at a time
Mar 19, 2006
Do you really need permission to speak with a guy who was fired by his last team?

I understand he still collects on his contract, but permission?

So Hypotheticly the Rangers could prevent Torts from talking to or working for say the NY Islanders until his contract is complete?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad