Confirmed with Link: Head Coach Vacancy Pt III: How's your spelling? (Eakins/Vigneault/Messier/Gretzky)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The Post article from today actually mentioned something about timing. Then again, it's not definite... more like speculation.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/rangers/sather_choice_GIh2ucyUiEiFPWJZAPHl5I

To me, that little tidbit (that they are going to wait until late June) is a smokescreen--they have to make a number of decisions regarding the roster before then, starting with what to do about Richards. If they wait to the end of the month before even making a decision on a coach, that means he'll get no imput into a number of important decisions.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
To me, that little tidbit (that they are going to wait until late June) is a smokescreen--they have to make a number of decisions regarding the roster before then, starting with what to do about Richards. If they wait to the end of the month before even making a decision on a coach, that means he'll get no imput into a number of important decisions.

The reality is "what to do about Richards" is a business decision, not a coaching decision. He'll be bought out because not doing so is potentially catastrophic.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Whys that, just curious.

The defensive system would change. The Canucks don't block many shots. I'll give him that.

Offensively, he's Torts without the attitude. Same dump and don't chase ****ing useless nonsense we're trying to move away from. If not for the Sedins I don't think that team would ever score, and we have nothing even close to the Sedins.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What worries me is the Sedin factor, more than their PO record.

They gloat and brag about a bunch of players in Vancouver, guys like Bieksa, Edler, Sami Salo, Kesler and co, and many others over the years, have supposedly been the best in the league. But from my point of view, they are an extreme top line team. The Sedins won concecutive Art Ross Trophy's lately. They are spending a ton of ice time in the attacking zone, every night, no matter who they play against. And I can guarantee you that the Sedin's basically aren't coached. They do their thing, and would do it with every single coach in this league or the AHL.

So AV has basically only coached the 2nd to 4th line in Van. More or less atleast.

valid point but at the same time, i think the majority of torts detractors would argue that he would still have a job if he let top end players like nash and gaborik 'do their thing' instead of trying to force them to play the same game that brian boyle does.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
The defensive system would change. The Canucks don't block many shots. I'll give him that.

Offensively, he's Torts without the attitude. Same dump and don't chase ****ing useless nonsense we're trying to move away from. If not for the Sedins I don't think that team would ever score, and we have nothing even close to the Sedins.

This.

Whenever I watched the Canucks, the only line that has consistently impressed me if the Sedin line. No other line kept any sort of pressure.

Give me Eakins. Maybe Boucher. Tippett and Babcock would obviously be preferable, but they don't look very realistic. No Ruff/AV/Maurice/Wilson.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

Brad Richards, who still is far more likely to be an amnesty buyout later this month than a candidate for the club’s first-line center slot when camp convenes in September.

Of course there's always a chance...but it's still unlikely he's back. Just too much potential
for crippling the team if he happens to get injured. He'll play elsewhere next season.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Gretzky wasn't a good coach. The Rangers aren't exactly in a position to take a gamble.

Not saying I want to see Gretzky as coach, but a lot of coaches are failures in their first opportunity. Some even in their second and third tries. And then it all falls into place.

I would rather they try someone new though, then the typical retreads. I know trottier didn't work, but that should have no bearing on the decision.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

Our offensive system actually's isn't that bad. The problem is that we spend most of the game in our own zone. They actually score at a quiet a good rate for how little time they attack every game

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
If we hire Messier or Gretzky, I will seriously reconsider being a Ranger fan. Gretz sucked in Phoenix and Mess has ZERO coaching experience.

Let them replace Gernander for all I care, but keep them away from the big club.

I hear what you're saying, but you know and I know that would last for maybe one period. You're a ranger fan and you will be back.

Dalagaze

Rangers in 7
Apr 6, 2012
NY
I hear what you're saying, but you know and I know that would last for maybe one period. You're a ranger fan and you will be back.

Yeah I know, I was exaggerating, but I'd still probably cry in a corner if one of them is hired.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
This.

Whenever I watched the Canucks, the only line that has consistently impressed me if the Sedin line. No other line kept any sort of pressure.

Give me Eakins. Maybe Boucher. Tippett and Babcock would obviously be preferable, but they don't look very realistic. No Ruff/AV/Maurice/Wilson.

AV grudges hard too. Neglects rookies/youngins.

Dishonoring his family.

Give me Eakins or give me death...or Tippet or Babcock or Boucher...they'd be okay tioo

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Not saying I want to see Gretzky as coach, but a lot of coaches are failures in their first opportunity. Some even in their second and third tries. And then it all falls into place.

I would rather they try someone new though, then the typical retreads. I know trottier didn't work, but that should have no bearing on the decision.

I watched Gretzky coach in Phoenix for four years. You could harshly say he had one year of experience repeated four times. That's a little strong becasue I did see some growth but he did not flourish and the talent wasn't 25 points different the next year. Part of that was coaching underachievement and part was overachievement by Tippett.

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009
tsn.ca/nhl Insider trading video from yesterday.

I also saw Dreger on there yesterday. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he say all of that was just his best guess? I wasn't really paying attention. I remember the Rangers were picked to go with Vigneault, I think Dallas with Ruff, and Maurice and Eakins were both considered possibilities for both Edmonton and I think Vancouver. Can't remember.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
tsn.ca/nhl Insider trading video from yesterday.
Dreger's best guesses:
tsncoach.jpg

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Can anyone who knows Tippets style give me a brief rundown on the game he plays?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Maurice is such a funny looking ****. My dad would have a field day with him. Hope we hire him just for teh lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad