Speculation: Head Coach Search Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
TSN this AM are definitely pushing the narrative of Patrick Roy being back behind an NHL bench next season.

I certainly don't think there is any doubt about his ability to relate to or work with young talent after watching him interact with his junior players. They appeared well organized and competitive top to bottom, definitely didn't win by simply having the most talent.

Perhaps the coach selection process has been delayed by wanting to let him finish his season before interviewing. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's in the mix.

Would certainly be good for our young players, I know it didn't work out in Colorado, but it was one team.

Question is, do you think he wants to come to a rebuild team, that may still be another 2 years from competing for the playoffs?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Would certainly be good for our young players, I know it didn't work out in Colorado, but it was one team.

Question is, do you think he wants to come to a rebuild team, that may still be another 2 years from competing for the playoffs?

Didn't work out in the end, but he also managed to win a Jack Adams (2013-14), so not one of those coaches who completely fumbled his first opportunity.

That's a fair question, obviously a highly competitive person so I'd doubt he'd have any time for a tank. But I think the idea here is that you help this young group improve year by year and hopefully get back into relevancy and beyond. It's a great proving ground for someone up to the challenge.

Reactions: Leonardo87

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
@Leonardo87 ironically there seems to be more talk of Roy heading to coach your other team.

Not difficult to see that as a better fit. More competitive right away but still the challenge of getting some key young players going. Also no doubt has the personality for that type of stage.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Yeah and last week everyone thought Laviolette was the new head coach. lol. There is so much crap being thrown out there now. Rangers are also looking at Hynes as well. So really don't know.
That’s the whole coaching market, really. No one seems to know what’s really going on in Calgary or especially here, the Jackets hired Babcock and no one seemed to know for a couple weeks at the very least, the Preds conducting a full coaching search with barely anyone realizing and obviously with the Rangers there’s a lot of mystery as well. Regarding Roy there I do wonder if people are just pushing the Drury connection a bit too much but it would also explain why the Rangers haven’t hired anyone yet.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That’s the whole coaching market, really. No one seems to know what’s really going on in Calgary or especially here, the Jackets hired Babcock and no one seemed to know for a couple weeks at the very least, the Preds conducting a full coaching search with barely anyone realizing and obviously with the Rangers there’s a lot of mystery as well. Regarding Roy there I do wonder if people are just pushing the Drury connection a bit too much but it would also explain why the Rangers haven’t hired anyone yet.

Good point on the Drury connection, I think that added a lot of fuel to the fire, especially since the Laviolette speculation has simmered down.

FiveHoleTickler

Sponsor
Sep 21, 2018
Roy-Boudreau as a head coaching tandem. Do it.

Hey guys, working on a... project. Send me your favorite ...

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
As for Roy, I’d be really intrigued by that one. He gets a lot of flack for his three years in Colorado but he was genuinely innovative and I think people forget how bad those rosters were. Seriously, go look at the defense they had. It was just way too convenient to blame 2017 on Roy leaving so close to training camp and then use their ascent to trash Roy’s time there.

There’s also the question about control but I wonder if that’s actually be an issue. He did quit over input on personnel decisions but people forget that when he was hired he was promised this kind of input and IMO it’s understandable to be upset when he was the one who was pushed out of that.

Last edited:
Reactions: KickHisAssZegrass
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad