Head Coach 2014-15

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
As we tailspin losing 4 out of 5 its become obvious to most everyone that the problem this year was not the coach, not structure, but simply a lack of developed talent.

Our present coach is an interim coach so the two questions are:

What does our interim have to do to earn a renewal?

Or

Is it finally time after 6 seasons to hire a coach who has NHL coaching experience?

And who would your choice be?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I dunno brotha, I'm not quite even halfway convinced that coaching was to blame for the last string of losses.
A few bad calls/non-calls, few horrific turnovers less and this thread might just be about Mr.Hor's extension.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
It may not be headcoaching experience, but Horachek had ten years with Nashville. That counts for something.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
I think (from assorted interviews) that going ~.500 here on out is the basis for an extension.

So far I like what Horachek has brought in. The sense of structure in the play (pp /PK aside) has made a big difference. Also the night and day change in the D corps.

If we can do something around ~.500 I'd be happy with an extension. Though I would leave the assistants up to Horachek.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
I think this guy is Tallon or Santos's quick fix guy. I don't think he has a chance of getting extended. No matter what he does or how the team does.

The next coach will be Viola's guy. Which should setup the eventual replacement of Tallon as well.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I like what I've seen so far. I think the biggest issue we have is talent, not coaching.

If we continue to see the team put in a solid effort, the young guys develop, and there's a sense that we're really a couple players away from making the playoffs, we sign him to an extension.

If we had a competent powerplay, we might be close to .500.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Good call SeasonTicket, Vinnie appears to be one us disgruntled Rangers fan convert types. Also, nobody would come in and fire the GM right away.

We can speculate all we want, I doubt anyone here know Viola personally enough to speak of his hockey knowledge and whether or not hes educated enough to know who a better fit would be. I so, speak up! I kinda get the feeling he might be :)

I have no problem with our current coaches, any of them.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida
I think this guy is Tallon or Santos's quick fix guy. I don't think he has a chance of getting extended. No matter what he does or how the team does.

The next coach will be Viola's guy. Which should setup the eventual replacement of Tallon as well.

If Viola chooses "His guy" for coach, then this ownership will be no better than any ownerships of the past.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013

I don't think he is a "quick fix" he was brought in to SA with the intention of replacing Dineen early in the summer. He was also one of Tallon's finalists for the the job Dineen eventually got. Then factor in his ties to S. FLA and Horachek was intended to replace Dineen during the season, or in the offseason.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
...and its sure not talent, were lacking. Its the decision making within teamwork. They pass when they should shoot, drop to no trailer. Coaching can do a bit to help, but the execution is on the skaters. Everyone of these guys have talent.

Watch any old Soviet video, the tight passing...those (humans) were trained to know to do that and they had to go out and pull it off. Well not too many teams come close to that kind of precision, donno why...fire em all?

Chemistry? I think it's not coaching and its not talent, really.

EnforceTheLaus

Nov 3, 2013
I absolutely 100% disagree with even the slight possibility that Viola should have a strong impact in hockey personnel decisions aside from hiring a GM.
Agree completely. Viner may not have had he deepest pockets but he knew to let Tallon work. Something I hope Viola follows, with more spending of course.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
...and its sure not talent, were lacking. Its the decision making within teamwork. They pass when they should shoot, drop to no trailer. Coaching can do a bit to help, but the execution is on the skaters. Everyone of these guys have talent.

Watch any old Soviet video, the tight passing...those (humans) were trained to know to do that and they had to go out and pull it off. Well not too many teams come close to that kind of precision, donno why...fire em all?

Chemistry? I think it's not coaching and its not talent, really.

What we have is some amazing up and coming talent, and a bunch of mediocre journeyman.

We've had 2 coaches here this season and no bottom line improvement. Scotty bowman wouldn't make a huge impact here with this roster. Viner failed to fill in where we desperately needed to. Plain and simple.

Egblad

Patiently Waiting
May 20, 2006
Florida

Because it causes all sorts of problems. First and foremost, there should be a well maintained hierarchy, if Viola starts making hockey decisions, what does that say about the GM to the rest of the team? How will the GM feel about how the owner is basically saying he can't do his own job? How will the players view that? How will the coaches view that? It is not conducive to a good working environment for anyone. Everybody should have their roles and work within their roles. If Viola took those actions, the focus isn't on hockey any longer in my opinion. You'll have a pissed off GM, potentially pissed off coaches, and it will cause distractions.

Also, if Vinny Viola starts making hockey personnel decisions, we potentially bring in the slippery slope mechanism. Will he start telling the GM who to acquire via trade? Who to draft? What scouts to hire? Where does it begin and end?

What if Viola started having friendships with players, such as Cohen and Jokinen did?

This is all made MUCH worse if Viola had zero clue about hockey (which is a possibility).

If Viola strays into the hockey ops department of this organization, it will do nothing but open up the pandora's box.

CoolburnIsGone

If Viola strays into the hockey ops department of this organization, it will do nothing but open up the pandora's box.
Hey his kid is in the hockey ops dept already with a VP title so who knows if that box is not already cracked open and just waiting to be opened further. I wouldnt be surprised if Travis is supposedly "put in charge" of interviewing for the new head coach in the offseason.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
trocheck created the nashville D

i want him as an assistant if he's unable to stay as headcoach...

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
That's a tough question because we lack talent. No coach can come here and coach this team to the playoffs. I'm sorry we just don't have the talent yet.

This team was thrown together at the very last minute of the off season. We got the scraps no one wanted because of the ownership change. Had it changed sooner, I'm sure we'd be in a completely different spot right now, HOWEVER this is what we are.

I'd like to see a proper NHL roster here before throwing any coaching staff member under the bus. I understand something had to change so Dineen was let go but I don't blame Dineen for this teams short comings.

On one hand I want Horchuk to grow with these kids as we add proper talent to the team but the other hand wants to go outside the organization and hire a coach with winning experience.

I'm torn.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Dream coach? Dave Tippett.
:cry:
Maybe if Barry no neck Trotz is fired, I would like to see him brought here.

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
That's a tough question because we lack talent. No coach can come here and coach this team to the playoffs. I'm sorry we just don't have the talent yet.

This team was thrown together at the very last minute of the off season. We got the scraps no one wanted because of the ownership change. Had it changed sooner, I'm sure we'd be in a completely different spot right now, HOWEVER this is what we are.

I'd like to see a proper NHL roster here before throwing any coaching staff member under the bus. I understand something had to change so Dineen was let go but I don't blame Dineen for this teams short comings.

On one hand I want Horchuk to grow with these kids as we add proper talent to the team but the other hand wants to go outside the organization and hire a coach with winning experience.

I'm torn.

That is a summary of alt of what I'm thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad