Post-Game Talk: He’s such a Bouche

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
That is not sustainable long term playing drai and McD that much every game
Of course not. They played them together because of the injury to Leon and I think the fact that they were so dominant dictated TOI.

It's been a crazy year. Vancouver is tied 1-1 in the second round despite having the second lowest shot total after 8 games in NHL playoff history. The Leafs went to game 7 scoring 12 goals. Vegas scored 16 goals in 7 games.

So far in the playoffs only 61% of the goals scored have been 5 vs 5. Teams have averaged 1.83 5 vs 5 goals per game. The Oilers have scored 2.42 5 vs 5 goals per game, second only to Colorado with 3. And yet the sense seems to be that if they are not on the pp they don't score. Given so few 5 vs 5 goals are being scored by any team, and given that one would expect the vast majority of the Oiler 5 vs 5 goals to be scored when McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice, scoring has not really been the problem. What they need to do is not give up cheap goals when the big guys are off the ice.

To put things in perspective Nuge has 4 5 vs 5 points, the same as Marchand and one less than MacKinnon.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
100 percent Hughes is a very good player but Bouch right now is right there with him
100 percent Hughes is a very good player but Bouch right now is right there with him
Hughes would be a good winger. he doesn't have the build to be a D. jmo. I can't stand runt D's Don't like Girard in Colorado either. I think you have to have at least a modicum of size or strength to play D. hughes gets tossed around like a ragdoll.

LA beat this club everytime. Countless highlights where Kings just rush Hughes at the Ozone blueline, put his ass on the ice, take the puck, and get a break. Many others where Hughes just gets pushed off the puck at the point and a King skates up leisurely up ice and Hughes is trying to stop the play and can't do a thing against even an average sized forward.

How does one defend at Hughes strength? You can't. Yamamoto is probably stronger.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Splittin hairs. I just can't see how anyone could claim Ceci is dragging Nurse down at this point. Ceci isn't forcing Nurse to rush board plays w/ swipes and misses. He's not forcing Nurse to chip him pucks vs easier passes. He's not forcing him to make no look reverses TOO hard that they goto the point 80% of the time. He's not forcing him to take way too long in his own zone, ignore Mcleod flying thru the middle only to wait to flip it at a covered winger(BTW, Ceci actually made that Mcleod pass once yesterday, Nurse never made 1)
Ceci isn't forcing Nurse to stand still at the blueline, get closed on only to have to shoot or dump it wide. Yesterday he got 3 cross ice passes that he had time but elected to not skate and just sit there and wait

It's not even a case of Nurse underwhelming, they both just suck and drag the team down. Everytime it's that pairing out, butt clenched because you know its going to be a SCA

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That is not sustainable long term playing drai and McD that much every game
Not worried about it in the short run. The Oilers had a week off. The one thing we don't have to worry about is them being too tired. KK has managed their minutes through season and especially late in season much better than Woody did.

We needed this W and got it. I think we keep them together in game 3 but we don't need as many minutes out of them. I expect wins in game 3 and 4 and for other lines to start getting untracked a bit and popping some.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The less ice time was important. But until Ceci comes out that head is still slightly up the bum

I’ve given up on Nuge being anything other than a good pk and pp guy. Kane has another gear. He’s turned oddly quiet….after the LA series
I agree, and I believe they know that. Coaches trust Vets too often to their detriment.

Reactions: Ibanez

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
Paging the following:

Evander Kane
Ryan Nugent Hopkins
Corey Perry

Please show up to Game 3.

Each can be a game/series difference maker. Would love to see some high event games from any/all of them.
Perry has zero points in 7 games. Plays no PP or PK. Can't skate. Has taken bad penalties.

What are we doing here?

ManOfSteelI

Nov 5, 2018
Of course not. They played them together because of the injury to Leon and I think the fact that they were so dominant dictated TOI.

It's been a crazy year. Vancouver is tied 1-1 in the second round despite having the second lowest shot total after 8 games in NHL playoff history. The Leafs went to game 7 scoring 12 goals. Vegas scored 16 goals in 7 games.

So far in the playoffs only 61% of the goals scored have been 5 vs 5. Teams have averaged 1.83 5 vs 5 goals per game. The Oilers have scored 2.42 5 vs 5 goals per game, second only to Colorado with 3. And yet the sense seems to be that if they are not on the pp they don't score. Given so few 5 vs 5 goals are being scored by any team, and given that one would expect the vast majority of the Oiler 5 vs 5 goals to be scored when McDavid and Draisaitl are on the ice, scoring has not really been the problem. What they need to do is not give up cheap goals when the big guys are off the ice.

To put things in perspective Nuge has 4 5 vs 5 points, the same as Marchand and one less than MacKinnon.
Interesting!

Thanks for sharing this perspective.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

To wit this is why I don't understand how unappreciated McLeod is. People have been so critical because he isn't producing. But he isn't allowing any goals either. If he runs just a saw off line that doesn't get anything or allow anything we win because Nucks have better depth. Just getting that saw off turns the game in our favor as our topguns can then own it, and own their shifts.

Not mentioned either by anybody is how many times it was McLeod breaking up plays, getting to a 2 on 1 from behind, several zone outs when the Oilers were getting hemmed in. McLeod has become a very good defensive forward on this club and also yeoman work on pk. The value with this player is there.

Reactions: Oilhawks

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
the mains are gonna quickly remember why no one liked the canucks or their fans in 2011.

Every missed call/clean play is getting a thread.

06980fd3-1454-4eb1-9cdd-8ccf5219457c_text.gif

I'm not even gonna bother posting on any of them knowing I'd likely get an infraction or thread ban, but that's hilarious. I don't see any of us making threads to whine about the non calls. Vancouver should be renamed to Whinecouver with all that f***ing whining they've been doing since last night to now.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Man lots of cope from Vancouver media, Toronto media, Canuck fans and the hockey guy complaining that we are just McDavid and if we didn't have him we would have lost.

Should we introduce a ban phase before games like in Video games where we can just pick 3 players on each team who can't play?

Hahaha

Seeth

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Perry has zero points in 7 games. Plays no PP or PK. Can't skate. Has taken bad penalties.

What are we doing here?

The fact he lead the team meeting after last game is a good sign for him being a great acquisition. As the playoffs go on, you need those vets. He just should also probably be getting looked at as the guy coming out next

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
The fact he lead the team meeting after last game is a good sign for him being a great acquisition. As the playoffs go on, you need those vets. He just should also probably be getting looked at as the guy coming out next
Who said he led the meeting?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Pathetic whining from nucks media oil have 3 pps and way more missed calls. Embarrassing fan base
They both had 3 pps. I mean it was even. Plus canucks had more pps game one.

I mean if the Canucks want the pps called let's do it. Let's call all infractions. Series will be over in 5.

Great we got a guy who gives a speech and does nothing else.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Oh hey look, a non bias approach from a TSN media member! Of course the one he's responding to has to be another nuck media whining member. f***ing cry more nuck fans and media.

The fact we’re basically dead even in penalties and PP opportunities in the regular season, and they’ve had 50% more PPs than us so far this series, and their fans are STILL whining? Hilarious.

Osmak had a good point after the game, when she pointed out the refs let a too many men by the Canucks go right after the missed high stick to make up for it. And considering our PP, that’s actually a tradeoff that’s more punishing for us.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
What’s funny is Stecher is a vet generally. He’s been around for years. And munched minutes in Arizona. Sometimes the obvious road is the hardest one to take
Fair, but I meant the "Vets you know" Either way, I do expect him, Ceci, to come out next game. If this is level and he's going to play sub 16 mins, other guys can get a shot at that.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Nuge's line as a threesome gave up essentially nothing 5 vs 5. They had a 5-2 advantage in scoring chances and did not give up a single high danger chance. It would be big if they scored of course but when you play the nuclear option the big thing you want out of the rest of the team is to at leas break even.
Nuge also took two penalties one of which resulted in an early GA and the Oilers being behind the 8-ball and playing from behind all night. Both penalties were unnecessary. Nuge also failed to pot an easy goal off a great feed from Mcleod in game one that would have given us a 5-2 lead and probably would have sunk the Nucks spirit at that point.

Nuge is too good of a player just to be collecting assists off the backs of superstars scoring. he can be an impact player that can score. As I said in another post its enough for Mcleod to just run a saw off low event line. It isn't enough for Nuge to be just that. He has the ability to rise up and be an allstar player. To be his best. Which we just saw last season.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Of we can get some fking support from anyone not named mcdavid drai Hyman amd ekholm we are in business

Kane is struggling, nuge has looked brutal for months now. Perry is a waste of space. Could gobon but I'm sure you get by he point.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Fair, but I meant the "Vets you know" Either way, I do expect him, Ceci, to come out next game. If this is level and he's going to play sub 16 mins, other guys can get a shot at that.
If he does play again. I just don’t even know what to think about Knob….

We wait. Prayers up!!!

And yeah I see what you mean about “vets you know”. It’s a dagger for some coaches

Poke checking Stetcher would get his ass killed in this series
More than Ceci is? I’d bet money ceci is worse. And I’m not a gambler. Stecher can at least transport the puck. Ceci cannot

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

What are we doing here?
How would Gagner who is productive and makes really good plays with the puck and is a good setup guy possibly a worse option? I just don't get it. Lets kick Gagner to the curb one mroe time despite him bleeding Oil and dearly wanting to be out there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad