HBO's - Broad Street Bullies

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For those that have HBO, they have produced a one hour sports documentary on the Broad Street Bullies. The premiere will be on May 4 at 10 pm.

For those that have HBO, you know how well done these pieces have been in the past. At this point I think the only other hockey one they've done was in regards to the Miracle on Ice.

Some others they've done in the past have focused on the Oakland A's & Raiders of the 70's, The 1972 US men's basketball team (ultimate screw job), Ohio St.-Michigan football rivalry, Larry Bird/Magic Johnson etc.

There is a special preview for those of us in Philly on April 13th at the Wachovia Center

http://flyers.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=772&id=65289

Peter9

Apr 1, 2008
Los Angeles, USA
I'd watch this to be reminded that the Flyers' short-lived dominance in the NHL was one of the league's lowpoints and perhaps its lowest point. The Flyers of that era were anti-hockey. It was such a pleasure to see a superb hockey team sweep them in the 1976 finals. I hope this documentary includes that.

Devils Mike*

The Miracle on Ice one was great, since it actually had the players and revealed more then any movie or other documentary about it, this one will be great also.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just a bump, because the first HBO showing is tonight at 10pm est.

It's HBO so there will be numerous re-airs.

Whether you're a Flyers fan or not, this shoul dbe a good watch. HBO does excellent work, and this is the first ever piece in regards to the NHL.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
reckoning, is it not showing up in your guide on your cable box?

If not, dang. I was really excited about this until post 8.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just watched it.

Obviously a Flyers fan is going to enjoy it more than any other, but I think any real hockey fan will enjoy the piece.

Two real surprises to me were that Rick MacLiesh wasn't one of the interviewed subjects, and that the two regular season games in Vancouver in 72-73 weren't highlighted.

Lots of Clarke, Parent, Schultz, Clement, Kelly, Van Impe, Joe Watson and Snider.

Saleski, Barber, Dornhoeffer, Phil Esposito, O'Reilly, Larry Robinson, Bryan O'Neill, Bryan Lewis, media member both from Philly and around the hockey world also interviewed.

Starts from the inception of the Flyers as an expansion team, moves quickly to the 68-69 playoffs, where the Scotty Bowman coached Blues, led by Noel Picard and the Plager brothers just annahilated the Flyers physically, en route to a 4 game sweep.

The 1969 draft the Flyers picked up Clarke, Schultz and Saleski, the building of the Bullies began, and as Snider professed that night, we would never be pushed around again.

It ends with the 4 game sweep by Montreal in 1976, and the NHL rejoicing (Clarance Campbell most of all).

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Did they discuss the Red Army game in 1976?

Absolutely.

Flyers talked about how for the first and only time the rest of the NHL was rooting for them to win that game. Clarance Campbell even went into the locker room pregame, and soem of the Flyers wanted to tell him to get the hell out, because they knew he despised them.

The looks on Campbell's face when handing the Cup over to Clarke and Parent in 74 & 75 are priceless.

NJrocket24

Oct 19, 2005
NJ
HBO makes the greatest sports documentaries. Their "how it was" baseball show, i think it was called when they played the game was incredible. The brooklyn dodgers documentary was great. Miracle on Ice was awesome. The story of the AFL was unique. Raiders/A's documentary was really strong.

The Broad Street Bullies was really introspective and had lots of great footage from the era.

HBO could make a documentary about the Arizona Cardinals a tearjerker.

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
HBO makes the greatest sports documentaries. Their "how it was" baseball show, i think it was called when they played the game was incredible. The brooklyn dodgers documentary was great. Miracle on Ice was awesome. The story of the AFL was unique. Raiders/A's documentary was really strong.

The Broad Street Bullies was really introspective and had lots of great footage from the era.

HBO could make a documentary about the Arizona Cardinals a tearjerker.

Did you ever see the one about Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? That was great too. And I hate the NBA.

As a Wings fan and someone who isn't a big fan of the Flyers it was still a great watch. It's crazy how much the city latched onto that team. They fit the people of Philly so well. And the funniest thing is that you look at Dan Carcillo and that guy looks like he came out of a time machine from that team.

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Did you ever see the one about Magic Johnson and Larry Bird? That was great too. And I hate the NBA.

As a Wings fan and someone who isn't a big fan of the Flyers it was still a great watch. It's crazy how much the city latched onto that team. They fit the people of Philly so well. And the funniest thing is that you look at Dan Carcillo and that guy looks like he came out of a time machine from that team.
He grew his mustache to look like them. :)

GNick42

I just downloaded it off of Demonoid. Not a Flyers fan but wanted to look back at that era. It was a good show. The '69 draft was certainly a turning point in that franchise's history

xxjimmypxx

Dec 9, 2009
New Jersey
Does anyone have a spare invite for nhltorrents.co.uk? I've been looking all over for an HD rip of this and that seems to be the only place that has one. I have high ratios at ever private tracker I use.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad