TV: HBO's Ballers starring Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I concur with the 3 posts above me.

I'm finding The Strain to be more entertaining, for better or worse.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
The transition to the West Coast (due to monetary type stuff) has been pretty tough. Most of the story lines at the end of the prior season were just thrown away. So far has been pretty weak.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The show is really missing the edge that it had over the last two seasons.

All of a sudden Spencer who ended the season as an absolute mess with a lot of work to do, is humming "everything is awesome" while crashing a monster truck.

He was pretty much broke, out of control and a drug addict. That's the basis of a good story of a washed up athlete.

Suddenly he's a power player, he went to his doctor and basically kicked the drug habit and he's a power player in his company instead of an annoyance.

Its just not interesting right now.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I would have been fine with everything working out for him this season, but they just brushed aside in one sentence the entirety of his struggles last season.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I think they are playing up the you owe millions to your friends/clients angle as the setback/problem this season

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I think they are playing up the you owe millions to your friends/clients angle as the setback/problem this season

I was thinking this too. They showed Ricky losing his money at the table, other guys probably going to get cut for the weed stuff.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

That's absolutely what they're going for. It was the main reason behind the dinner in the first episode as well for Spencer, Anderson assured him he'd repay all his debts if he helps close Steve Guttenberg. :laugh:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I was thinking this too. They showed Ricky losing his money at the table, other guys probably going to get cut for the weed stuff.

Yeah, Ricky is going to need that money now, after losing what looks like a couple of million at the table.

And the other client is going to get cut and want his money as well.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
This show is absolutely terrible. I thought about cutting it after season 2, but I thought I'll give it a redemption shot in season 3. It's been even worse.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Ricky and Charles are my favorite characters and they've really pushed them to the back so far this season. Have they even addressed who Ricky played for? :laugh:

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
I feel like the show has almost turned into those types of shows that reset their storylines each new season. Ballers just doing it based on what is hot in the NFL.

Season 2 was the pills & substance abuse.
Season 3 with going to Oakland & the weed debate.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
Ricky and Charles are my favorite characters and they've really pushed them to the back so far this season. Have they even addressed who Ricky played for? :laugh:

There was a throwaway line about getting a deal done with the Patriots. Last season ended shortly after the draft, this season started during preseason, which would fit with Spencer's surgery recovery. I have no idea why Ricky isn't in camp, especially if he wants to play for New England.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The show is really missing the edge that it had over the last two seasons.

All of a sudden Spencer who ended the season as an absolute mess with a lot of work to do, is humming "everything is awesome" while crashing a monster truck.

He was pretty much broke, out of control and a drug addict. That's the basis of a good story of a washed up athlete.

Suddenly he's a power player, he went to his doctor and basically kicked the drug habit and he's a power player in his company instead of an annoyance.

Its just not interesting right now.

This is a shame to read. I just got through season two and enjoyed it. Shame to read they abandoned that season two finale instead of building off it.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
This is a shame to read. I just got through season two and enjoyed it. Shame to read they abandoned that season two finale instead of building off it.

They didn't abandon anything. Just glazed over many of last season's loose ends due to the extended lapse in time between season 2 finale and season 3 premiere.

Many of Spencer's past demons are starting to rear their ugly heads. Give it time. Even Game of Thrones had plot displacement and filler episodes.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY

I thought they were going to start this season with Ricky finally winning his Super Bowl in New England and instead they don't even mention a thing about any of the players performance in the prior season. Kind of weird. I assume this season is supposed to be a year later from the prior season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad