HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ tv series

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
though the more i think about it, the more it makes no sense

whats manhattans motivation here? to go to will and come up with this big master plan spanning a decade just to kill a few klan members and trieu

he can do literally anything, just kill them

He's a bit fatalistic because he sees everything happening as the present.

So he's not actually choosing to do anything. He's just experiencing the plan all at once.

He explains it as the chicken and the egg happening simultaneously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
He's a bit fatalistic because he sees everything happening as the present.

So he's not actually choosing to do anything. He's just experiencing the plan all at once.

i guess i dont really get that as he “knows” everything thats happened and has apparently planned everything ahead of time (wills expecting the kids at the theatre)

realistically, whats the explanation for him not just saying “wait, why dont i just blow up their heads yesterday

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
i guess i dont really get that as he “knows” everything thats happened and has apparently planned everything ahead of time (wills expecting the kids at the theatre)

realistically, whats the explanation for him not just saying “wait, why dont i just blow up their heads yesterday

The concept of knowing the future has always been explained as locking that future in place, eliminating free will.

Yesterday doesn’t exist for him.

The kids are at the theatre because that’s where he put them. He dies because that’s what happens.

He literally only finds out about the KKK hood at the end of the season, even though it sets the whole thing in motion.

His life is just one long narrative that he knows all about aside from those moments where he is caged or willingly ignorant.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s actually quite reminiscent of how they deal with prescience in the Dune series.

You don't question your present, because it's happening right now. Imagine if the future was the same.

There are no alternate possibilities in the present, because it -is-. Knowing the future means turning it into the present. Making it unchangeable.

I think there's a distinction between "seeing the future" and "seeing future possibilities". I'd think that there are an infinite number of future possibilities, meaning that's impossible to distinguish between them.

The only thing that makes sense is seeing one particular future, which is the timeline that Manhatten locks into place.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
The concept of knowing the future has always been explained as locking that future in place, eliminating free will.

Yesterday doesn’t exist for him.

The kids are at the theatre because that’s where he put them. He dies because that’s what happens.

He literally only finds out about the KKK hood at the end of the season, even though it sets the whole thing in motion.

His life is just one long narrative that he knows all about aside from those moments where he is caged or willingly ignorant.

so then how can he carry out a conversation if everything is happening alp at once

even ignoring that fact, when he visits will and the plan is made at that “time” and they obviously have some sort of discussion about whats going to happen, why doesnt he just leave wills and kill the clan

just ignoring his time crossing ability or whatever you would call it

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He actually carries on conversations simultaneously at different points in time.

It is why he laughs when Angela says he has imagination in Vietnam while Veidt says he has none simultaneously to him years later.

Last edited:

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Yea, remember the start of the Angela and Manhattan episode? He is basically talking to and about her in 3 different timelines to us.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
mhm when angela asks drm to ask will how he knew judd was racist, so he can clearly interact across timelines

if this is the case, why doesnt he just kill these people in the past?

if hes capable of asking a question in the past being asked in the future, why cant he do other things?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Seemed pretty open ended. I'd be shocked if there wasn't another season for better or worse.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
mhm when angela asks drm to ask will how he knew judd was racist, so he can clearly interact across timelines

if this is the case, why doesnt he just kill these people in the past?

if hes capable of asking a question in the past being asked in the future, why cant he do other things?
He (feels/is) constrained by events as they happened/are happening. The criticism of Manhattan as a character is that he *doesn't* do those things - all of that power and yet he does not exercise it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They spent an entire episode and then parts of two more diving deep into how Manhattan experiences time via his conversations with others, and the fact that some people still don't get it...

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
Looks like there wont be a season 2

I'm totally ok with this. Nothing wrong with making something great and deciding that's it. Not everything needs to be continued and/or expanded. Bravo to showing confidence in vision and to having restraint in the face of what might be some enticing reasons to go on (more money, big acclaim/awards).

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'd be interested in some other work with different superheroes in the same universe but I agree that the basic storyline involving the main characters is done.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I also wouldn't be opposed to a semi-anthology exploring different heroes and different periods in the timeline between the events of the comics and the events of season 1. Each season would be its own vignette into the world of Watchmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00