Recalled/Assigned: Hayden Verbeek elevated to the Taxi Squad

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Weird.. do they think he might have a legit shot at getting an NHL game?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I mean, Kaden Fulcher has been in the taxi squad pretty much all season, doesn’t really mean that much.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I mean, Kaden Fulcher has been in the taxi squad pretty much all season, doesn’t really mean that much.
Except he gets to see his uncle now. Taxi squad travels and practices with the team.

Considering the team only has 11 healthy forwards, that means he's on a practice line with the regulars. I'd prefer that they evaluate Barber to see if he has any NHL potential. Barber doesn't have a size issue like Hirose, and he's faster than Svech, so I'm not sure why he's not given one more shot at the NHL on this crappy team. Looks to me like he's stuck in the AHL vet role for the rest of his career.

Hoog

Feb 4, 2021
Hey, why not see what he can do? He is a gritty dude who could replace LGD or Helm when they leave if he proves he can play in the last few games. Again, we're going nowhere so let's see what we have in this kid.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Except he gets to see his uncle now. Taxi squad travels and practices with the team.

Considering the team only has 11 healthy forwards, that means he's on a practice line with the regulars. I'd prefer that they evaluate Barber to see if he has any NHL potential. Barber doesn't have a size issue like Hirose, and he's faster than Svech, so I'm not sure why he's not given one more shot at the NHL on this crappy team. Looks to me like he's stuck in the AHL vet role for the rest of his career.

I would agree Barber deserves a shot. I always find it strange that for whatever reason a portion of players like Barber never get a real shot. Barber has put up good numbers in the NCAA, WJC and the AHL. Yet he has only played 11 NHL games.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

They can still bring up Barber if they want, the Taxi Squad only has 4 players on it right now, add both and they are at 6.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would agree Barber deserves a shot. I always find it strange that for whatever reason a portion of players like Barber never get a real shot. Barber has put up good numbers in the NCAA, WJC and the AHL. Yet he has only played 11 NHL games.

I too always find it odd, there is a small amount of guys on every team that never get called up, eventhough they have similar age and production to others who get called up a lot. Puempel is another one on our team, although I don't think he is NHL level at all, he has never gotten a long look in the NHL.

Reactions: Go Wings

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I too always find it odd, there is a small amount of guys on every team that never get called up, eventhough they have similar age and production to others who get called up a lot. Puempel is another one on our team, although I don't think he is NHL level at all, he has never gotten a long look in the NHL.

I've always assumed that guys like that are just looked at by management in a "they are what they are" kind of way. Perceived as Low end players with zero upside. Not saying I agree or disagree, but thats what I think the mindset is.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I've always assumed that guys like that are just looked at by management in a "they are what they are" kind of way. Perceived as Low end players with zero upside. Not saying I agree or disagree, but thats what I think the mindset is.

Yeah I agree with this, it is just weird how there are certain guys on the opposite side of things who keep getting chances when there is never any improved play.

Reactions: kliq

Stony Curtis

Sep 21, 2018
There are players who deserve a look more than someone named Draper or Verbeek. Someone made the comment a while ago that maybe these guys were acquired so they could get their foot in the door for a potential management position. To me, that's pretty fecked up. There are guys who'd give their left nut for an opportunity like that. I don't believe there's enough of a family pedigree for either of those guys to benefit from nepotism. Most on here could care less, but I have a issue with people born on 3rd base thinking it's their rightful place.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
There are players who deserve a look more than someone named Draper or Verbeek. Someone made the comment a while ago that maybe these guys were acquired so they could get their foot in the door for a potential management position. To me, that's pretty fecked up. There are guys who'd give their left nut for an opportunity like that. I don't believe there's enough of a family pedigree for either of those guys to benefit from nepotism. Most on here could care less, but I have a issue with people born on 3rd base thinking it's their rightful place.

That’s how the world works

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

I see what you are saying, but he was a throw in last year in the Merrill trade and when his ELC ran out he was not given another big league contract. He was signed to an AHL contract by the Griffins, but I think thats hardly a stretch as far as him being deserving based on his abilities. If he was brought up to the big club to sit in the press box and collect 6 figures, sure, but thats not the case.

Maybe its nepotism, maybe Pat truly thinks he can bring something to the team. Im not going to pretend to definitively know the answer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad