Post-Game Talk: Hawks win Game 1 (2-1 F/OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
My dad and I have gone full Fin with our jerseys since I'm half Fin and he's full Fin (by heritage of course, not nationality), Backstrom and Koivu. Granlund would be the next step in that trend.

My mom is full finn, I'm half. :laugh:

I have a White Granlund third Aeros sweater on order. ;)

That's cool. It's always interesting to meet people with Finnish heritage since there are so few. We are a small people in a big world :laugh:

I guess Minnesota and Michigan, especially the northern parts of the states, are the rare places where it's actually common to have some Finnish heritage in your family?

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
That's cool. It's always interesting to meet people with Finnish heritage since there are so few. We are a small people in a big world :laugh:

I guess Minnesota and Michigan, especially the northern parts of the states, are the rare places where it's actually common to have some Finnish heritage in your family?

Pct_finnish4.png

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
That looks right. My wife and my sister's husband both have majority Finnish in them coming from Upper Michigan. In some areas up there the street names are in Finnish too. Or maybe that was just by Suomi College.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Yeah that fits pretty well with my family's distribution around Minnesota and North Dakota. My branch of the family is mostly Norwegian, another branch is mixed Norwegian and Swedish.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Yeah, the Northern parts of the state are basically Noggie, Swedish (which is one half of my Grandparent) and Croatian is the other grandparent in addition to a ton of Finns (who I call the Nordic Irish).

My Gramps grew up in "Finntown" up in Virginia Minnesota, so despite not being Finnish I've always been a fan of theirs, since they were basically treated like crap along with the Croats by the Swedes and Norwegians up there for a long time and there is still a sort of stigma of being Finnish for that generation.

That's why Finns are so proud to be Finnish here, it reminds me of the Irish side of my family from Boston. After being "kept down" so much, they finally get to get out and celebrate their culture and their very happy and also very patriotic about it.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Yeah, the Northern parts of the state are basically Noggie, Swedish (which is one half of my Grandparent) and Croatian is the other grandparent in addition to a ton of Finns (who I call the Nordic Irish).

My Gramps grew up in "Finntown" up in Virginia Minnesota, so despite not being Finnish I've always been a fan of theirs, since they were basically treated like crap along with the Croats by the Swedes and Norwegians up there for a long time and there is still a sort of stigma of being Finnish for that generation.

That's why Finns are so proud to be Finnish here, it reminds me of the Irish side of my family from Boston. After being "kept down" so much, they finally get to get out and celebrate their culture and their very happy and also very patriotic about it.

Wow that's really interesting, I had no idea. Why were they treated so poorly?

Billy Mays Here*

Found out a few months ago that my last name means beach/shore in Finnish.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
Wow that's really interesting, I had no idea. Why were they treated so poorly?

Up North, the upper classes were mainly the Norwegians and Swedes, so Finns were always looked down upon in general as second class citizens.

Most of the businesses and bosses were Scandinavian, those that weren't that kind of got scraps. The Finns being Nordic ended up in that group.

For the tons of Croats that went up you could say it was worse, being Catholic in a very non-Catholic area thus breeding more resentment from the upper classes.

A lot of the families that kind of broke down these lines had issues like mine, and the famous Carlson aka the Hanson brothers (well two of them before Jack got called up) are from the same town, and they are half Swede, half Croat -- my Gramps is a friend of their parents so they grew up in Finntown as well.

Met their mother a few years ago, she's an amazing lady. She got them to all sign my vintage North Stars jersey, and then sent me a picture from her collection of all of them playing for the Fighting Saints that they all signed as well.

Now, being Finnish is a huge thing of pride and everyone I know up there that is Finnish will tell you IMMEDIATELY, but you'll still get those that are happy that they aren't Finnish, or they hide Finnish blood like people used to do with Native American blood in their families until they were deemed "ok by society" to come out and reveal it.

Sad, but true. At least this is basically in the oldest generation, a lot of this garbage has died off and that's why a ton that don't have family from Northern Minnesota or elsewhere don't know the plight of some of those immigrant groups.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
Up North, the upper classes were mainly the Norwegians and Swedes, so Finns were always looked down upon in general as second class citizens.

Most of the businesses and bosses were Scandinavian, those that weren't that kind of got scraps. The Finns being Nordic ended up in that group.

For the tons of Croats that went up you could say it was worse, being Catholic in a very non-Catholic area thus breeding more resentment from the upper classes.

A lot of the families that kind of broke down these lines had issues like mine, and the famous Carlson aka the Hanson brothers (well two of them before Jack got called up) are from the same town, and they are half Swede, half Croat -- my Gramps is a friend of their parents so they grew up in Finntown as well.

Met their mother a few years ago, she's an amazing lady. She got them to all sign my vintage North Stars jersey, and then sent me a picture from her collection of all of them playing for the Fighting Saints that they all signed as well.

Now, being Finnish is a huge thing of pride and everyone I know up there that is Finnish will tell you IMMEDIATELY, but you'll still get those that are happy that they aren't Finnish, or they hide Finnish blood like people used to do with Native American blood in their families until they were deemed "ok by society" to come out and reveal it.

Sad, but true. At least this is basically in the oldest generation, a lot of this garbage has died off and that's why a ton that don't have family from Northern Minnesota or elsewhere don't know the plight of some of those immigrant groups.

Thanks for sharing that. Definitely learned something new today.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
my wife found out a few years ago (after thinking she was 100% norwegian) that one of her great-great grandmas was actually a mail order bride from Finland. or great? can't remember which. Anyway, they shipped her over. Some sort of shortage of men in Finland and a shortage of Norwegian women that wanted to move to ND? Not sure the circumstances. So I mercilessly tease her family about it--this whole time they'd been "rah-rah Norway this, rah rah norway that". Told her it was nothing to be ashamed of. One of her great aunts had a picture with "Arrives from finland".

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
my wife found out a few years ago (after thinking she was 100% norwegian) that one of her great-great grandmas was actually a mail order bride from Finland. or great? can't remember which. Anyway, they shipped her over. Some sort of shortage of men in Finland and a shortage of Norwegian women that wanted to move to ND? Not sure the circumstances. So I mercilessly tease her family about it--this whole time they'd been "rah-rah Norway this, rah rah norway that". Told her it was nothing to be ashamed of. One of her great aunts had a picture with "Arrives from finland".
That would have just devastated my family, they are such proud Norwegians. Hilarious though.

Off topic from the Fin stuff but kind of in line with Ryns experience I have a story to tell.

My father died when I was 15 (I am now 46) and after that the family (3 sisters all older than myself) kind of splintered all over the country.
Well a few years ago my sister in Wisconsin decided that we should all get together for a Christmas at her place, it would be the first time ever all of us with our spouses and kids had been in the same place at the same time so it was a very special occasion.
So Christmas Eve arrives and we have had a wonderful time and then my Wisconsin sister who is the keeper of all the family pictures and historic papers and such announced she had a very special gift for each of the siblings.
We all open our special gifts and it is a large very nicely framed and beautifully put together montage of our family. Now as i was looking at this beautiful montage and getting a bit teary eyed one particular picture caught my eye, I just couldn't recognize who this person was in this picture. My sister from Cali leans over and whispers in my ear, "Kelly, who is that in that picture there?" I said I don't know.
So I asked Wisconsin sister "Kim who is this man?" she says "What do you mean, that is dad!" I said "Whose dad?" Kim says "What do you mean? It's our dad of course"

Me and my other sisters busted out laughing because who ever that man was he was not our father. Kim was convinced it was dad because this picture was in one of his albums and the guy is wearing a Navy uniform. I had to point to Kim that the man in the picture was actually a Marine.

She offered to redo all the montages but I said naw leave it, the memory of this glorious mistake will be cherished forever

So on my living room wall, prominently displayed for all to see is a beautiful montage of my family and some Marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad