Rumor: "Hawks were targeting a RHD Defenseman in the late third"

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Link Below at 11:58;

watch

There were only a few RHD defensemen drafted in the third between Lardis and Felcman. Below is the list;

- Hunter Brzustewicz
- Dylan Mackinnon
- Gavin Mccarthy

So the Hawks were targeting one of these 3. I'm thinking it was Mccarthy for how much time our scouts look at the USHL, but I haven't watched enough of him to determine if he meets our skating criteria.

I thought this deserved a thread because it's interesting to hear this about an NHL draft that just happened.

Reactions: dj Mahoney

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
lol so that's why we ended up with Felcman?

Hunter Brzustewicz was the best skating defenseman at the CHL prospect game testing, followed by Dylan MacKinnon.

Could have been either one of them.

But Brzustewicz was ranked as a late 1st on my board, so they were asleep at the wheel if that's who their target was.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I would bet money on MacKinnon cause of the compete factor as well as the skating. He is the most physical of the 3. Something the Hawks like alot now.

He's also 6'2 (as well as McCarthy) whereas Brzustewicz is barely 6'0 so thats another box he checks.

Reactions: Castle8130

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I would've traded every pick Chicago made after Lardis for Brzustewicz

That's a big L for Kyle if he was just sitting on his hands waiting

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I think the Doneghy statement about targeting a RHD was in the 2nd round at #51 and (I think it was Andrew Gibson) who Detroit took at #42.....so then they decided to stick with their plan for #44(Kantserov) but trade #51 because they thought Gibson(my opinion it was him as a 2nd round target)was no longer there and tgey prefferd to defer a 2nd to 2024 whikexafdibg a 6th they did not have...So KD was half-right ......
The take him early hunch before a goalie run started right after the Gajan pick... He chose not to gamble Gajan would be there at #44 so tokookhim off the board early 2nd instead of in the 40s...and he guessed correctly ...and was proven justified goibg goalie so early in roubd 2...

However he guessed wrong on his RD target(Gibson in my opinion) and was proven wrong because Detroit went to the early part of tge range for Gibson...We will never know of Gibson was therecat#44 if KD takes him in that case and then we would have Gibson...not Kantserov..

Anyway Gibson I think is the .ysterious RD target Hawks really wanted and missed on...in my opinion.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
2024 Draft RD priority target (3rd or4th overall ????)= ARTYOM LEVSHUNOV (USHL)...size 6'2 198,skating and gifted skills boxes all checked. Goott still finish bottom 5 and hope we moveup 1 or 2 spots
.....unless of course lightnig stress twice...and we get Celenroni.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Good news is next draft is much better for D and in particular RHD. The Athletic '24 mock had 3 RHD in the top 10 and 6 in the top 22 (and even 5 more in the 40 others to know listed alphabetically) and the Hawks so far have two 1st and three 2nds. I wish we would have found one this draft as D take longer to perculate and be NHL ready, but no reason to reach as Jones and Murphy are here 3 more years and I assume we add something as a RHD option this Summer even if just a depth bottom of the roster/AHL. Assuming we don't luck into one of the top 2 (Celebrini/Eiserman), but stay in the top 10....there will be 3 RHD there to fill that need. Good news is top 10 drafted D sometimes have a shorter development track to getting to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad