Rumor: Hawks to play Wild in Milwaukee next season

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

Hopefully a fun chance for our Wisconsinite Hawks fans to catch a game up in AHL Admirals land.

At the cost of a UC home game, though.

And if the Hawks are open to market adjacent neutral games, I wonder if they're considering a game in Indianapolis as well.

Last edited:

Clownish

Jan 1, 2014

Hopefully a fun chance for our Wisconsinite Hawks fans to catch a game up in AHL Admirals land.

At the cost of a UC home game, though.

And if the Hawks are open to market adjacent neutral games, I wonder if they're considering a game in Indianapolis as well.

They are currently remodeling/updating Gainbridge Fieldhouse, so maybe it's better now for hockey. The layout was a bit strange when the Ice played there last--which was about 10 years ago. The Fuel's arena at the fairgrounds only holds about 7k.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Why doesn’t Wisconsin have a pro team? It seems like there’d be enough interest in Milwaukee to support one
It might have worked in the past but there's too many bigger markets that don't have a team for Milwaukee to be considered.

I love that city though I wish they did. I'd make a weekend trip at least once a year.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Why doesn’t Wisconsin have a pro team? It seems like there’d be enough interest in Milwaukee to support one
too logical for the nhl...why would you have a team in wisconsin with natural rivalries and a decent hockey scene when you can have a team playing in a random rink with 3k capacity at arizona state...not to mention they could have a winter classic at lambeau which would be ez marketing for the franchise

Reactions: Minowaman

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
too logical for the nhl...why would you have a team in wisconsin with natural rivalries and a decent hockey scene when you can have a team playing in a random rink with 3k capacity at arizona state...not to mention they could have a winter classic at lambeau which would be ez marketing for the franchise
No TV market and you aren't introducing hockey to anybody new. It's all about dollars.

Reactions: Drumman44

vegarover

Sep 1, 2015
It might have worked in the past but there's too many bigger markets that don't have a team for Milwaukee to be considered.

I love that city though I wish they did. I'd make a weekend trip at least once a year.
You are dead on about Milwaukee being a small market. (It's ranks 40th overall by metro population in the U.S.) The other major league sports can survive in a small market like that because of the huge national TV deals, but hockey is far more reliant on local viewership and butts in the seats. I agree it would be cool for Milwaukee to have a team however.

Here's an interesting article about what hurt Milwaukee's chances in the past:

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015

Milwaukee is a great city. I love it when work makes me go there.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Wisconsin would be great for hockey. Natural rivalry in other sports with Chicago and Minnesota sports teams already too.

Despite the market size makes much more sense to me than Hamilton Ontario which would just be a little brother to the Leafs

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Wisconsin would be great for hockey. Natural rivalry in other sports with Chicago and Minnesota sports teams already too.

Despite the market size makes much more sense to me than Hamilton Ontario which would just be a little brother to the Leafs
Just what Canada needs, another Canadian team that will be ignored by the national sports media in favor of the Leafs.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Would Milwaukee be worse than whatever is going on in Arizona right now? If they don't care about ticket sales then lets have the US's version of Winnipeg have a team. They could stay in the Central too and it wouldn't ruin the balance of the divisions

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd compare Milwaukee to Indianapolis in regards to adding new teams. Is there enough recreational money in said market to really believe that a newcomer would be able to lift off and find success? I have my doubts as I view both as mostly being tapped out as it is when it comes to major pro sports.

At least Phoenix had the promise of being a massively growing market (while the water lasts) for future potential that never gets realized.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
Salt lake and Milwaukee would both be good destinations. I think people are underestimating how many families are relocating to these kinds of places especially with remote work.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Salt lake and Milwaukee would both be good destinations. I think people are underestimating how many families are relocating to these kinds of places especially with remote work.

I lived in SLC for a few years and don’t think SLC would work. Maybe if the Jazz moved but I just don’t see the interest.

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
I lived in SLC for a few years and don’t think SLC would work. Maybe if the Jazz moved but I just don’t see the interest.
Shits changed quite a bit, lots of transplants especially from California. I’m on my way out now but it’s up and coming and really expensive to live here

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
SLC would be a great idea. It also makes sense form the perspective of it being west. That city is booming and changing all the time.

MKE would also be a great city as well. They all make too much sense for the NHL though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad