Rumor: Hawks thinking of trading Debrincat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
If the Hawks trade DeBrincat, I'm done for a while. Regardless of the return. This team can't become any more unwatchable, and they somehow would be.

I also think the desire to trade DeBrincat reeks of desperation. A new GM trying to make big waves and put his fingerprints on the team.

How often do teams trading a guy like DeBrincat actually win those trades? What would be a comparable trade, even? Superstars in their early 20's almost never get traded.

I'll be done for a while too.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
I'll be done for a while too.
If you can't have them at their worst, you don't deserve them at their best. Good riddance.

I'll watch, or at the very least keep tabs on, these lovable losers regardless. I suffered through the trash years of the mid 90s to late 2000s, so this can't be much worse. At least we know it is possible to come out of it in a successful way. There's something awesome about being a fan of a team when they are hot garbage and watching them climb from the depths of hell into success.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I’ll continue to follow online and might watch more often if the new coach has them playing hard and we add some speed.

If they continue to be boring, slow, and bad I’ll probably just read about how they’re doing while occasionally tuning in. Sadly we’ve been really bad and even more boring the last few years. We need speed so bad.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

This is bad news on the DeBrincat front.

Tkachuk is coming off a 100 pt season and isn't a smurf.

Looking for a 40 goal scorer? Sign Forsberg.
Looking for a guy with size and star power? Trade for Tkachuk
Looking for a smurfy star? Sign Gaudreau

There are too many better options for other teams.

Last edited:

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
with all my favorite players we were terrible and keeping all of them probably means we stay terrible we no hope of getting better. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

I'm telling you man, take a deep breath. It's fine if we keep him.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I'm getting a sense that either DeBrincat is intent on testing UFA or the Hawks aren't interested in re-signing him.
getting the sense that the hawks want to move him but teams are reluctant to meet their ask because Cat is not interested in negotating a sign and trade atm

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kadri wants 10m per and Gaudreau turned down 9.5m per from CGY, so not only do the Hawks net future assets by moving Cat but they will likely free up 10m in future cap space by not paying him a ton for years they will be a bottom of league team

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Kadri wants 10m per and Gaudreau turned down 9.5m per from CGY, so not only do the Hawks net future assets by moving Cat but they will likely free up 10m in future cap space by not paying him a ton for years they will be a bottom of league team
This is why I think the Hawks aren't interested in re-signing him. I think Davidson is going to move him for the best package he can today, with the exception of those being offered are similar to the Fiala package.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011

There are not enough Forsberg, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, or Cat's to go around to all the teams looking to add such a player (cause Calgary and Nashville instantly get added to the list if either of their UFA's bail). Cat is the one that if a team can complete a trade for knows they control for 2 more years minimum where as the UFA's possibily never hit the market and there will be multiple teams bidding and your particular team may not be the most attractive to that UFA (aka....you are left empty handed with the hole in your lineup you presumeably want to fill).

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It just doesn't make sense to keep Cat, it really doesn't.

Sign him for 8 year 9mil? OK, our team will suck for at least 4 of those years, if not longer since we don't get assets to help our team get better. And then he will be what, 29/30 when our team is good, with a few years left on his contract, who knows how effective he will be at that time.

Keep him with hopes to sign him? What if he just signs his qualifying offer, and doesn't want to paly for a rebuilding team, and wants to hit UFA the year after? Then we just wasted a perfectly good asset for 2 more years and lose him for just a late 1st + at the deadline the year he is a UFA.

It's just best to maximize his value in the next year or so.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
This is why I think the Hawks aren't interested in re-signing him. I think Davidson is going to move him for the best package he can today, with the exception of those being offered are similar to the Fiala package.
agree with this

It just doesn't make sense to keep Cat, it really doesn't.

Sign him for 8 year 9mil? OK, our team will suck for at least 4 of those years, if not longer since we don't get assets to help our team get better. And then he will be what, 29/30 when our team is good, with a few years left on his contract, who knows how effective he will be at that time.

Keep him with hopes to sign him? What if he just signs his qualifying offer, and doesn't want to paly for a rebuilding team, and wants to hit UFA the year after? Then we just wasted a perfectly good asset for 2 more years and lose him for just a late 1st + at the deadline the year he is a UFA.

It's just best to maximize his value in the next year or so.
reduces their bedard equity too, he's a great player that will help them win a few more games than they should next year, its taking one step back to take two steps forward, acquire the assets now while they're on the table and increase their lotto odds for an elite player next summer

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
agree with this

reduces their bedard equity too, he's a great player that will help them win a few more games than they should next year, its taking one step back to take two steps forward, acquire the assets now while they're on the table and increase their lotto odds for an elite player next summer
Not to mention, that if they trade Cat it may convince Kane and Jones to ask for a trade, which would really help the rebuild as well.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
If you can't have them at their worst, you don't deserve them at their best. Good riddance.

I'll watch, or at the very least keep tabs on, these lovable losers regardless. I suffered through the trash years of the mid 90s to late 2000s, so this can't be much worse. At least we know it is possible to come out of it in a successful way. There's something awesome about being a fan of a team when they are hot garbage and watching them climb from the depths of hell into success.

I've been a fan of them through all of the shitty years too. I just didn't waste money buying a sports package to be able to watch most of their games. I remember the days of Eric Daze, Jeff Hamilton, Adrian Aucoin, Marty Lapointe etc. I was pumped when they got Havlat and he came out of the gates on a tear with little to no supporting cast. I was 18 during Kane/Toews rookie season and I first got the sports package for my cable the year prior and I've watched ~80-85% of their games since then unless I was away working and didn't have the time to watch.

That's what I mean when I say I'll be done. In my opinion alot of the pains the team is going through right now and will be going through in the near future is self-inflicted and could have been handled much better.

But hindsight is 20/20 I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad