Confirmed with Link: Hawks sign Ryan Donato (2 years /$2 mil AAV)

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
What force are you talking about? Especially by referring to 06? They had to start spending more because of the creation or the cap so he signed Khabibulin and Aucoin if that's what you call forcing things.

Idk what else you could mean.
Yes, had to spend to out of the gate but he overrated his prospects. The Havlat acquisition was a "win now" move. Handzus, Lang, etc. and that's not counting all the top players that rejected Chicago offers. Campbell and Huet were "win now" moves...before they even made the postseason. It forced a ton of transactions that would have played out differently had he taken the patient route knowing they were going to be a playoff team for a long time.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
How in the world did the Avs get out in front of their skis?
Iginla, Stuart, Briere after they made a round 1 exit. They hit the gas and it backfired but ended up working out great for them. Ratanen and Makar aren't there with a patient approach,

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
But you blame Tallon for not getting the QO’s out in time forcing the overpayment to 4 players (screwing the future cap).
It’s common knowledge that team capologist (Stan Bowman) thought they had to be sent on 7/1 when the reality was they had to be sent before 7/1.
Tallon took the hit with his “the buck stops here” interview but it was Bowman who screwed up.
That's not common knowledge. That was a local writer's theory who was a Tallon fanboy. I think it was Yahoo who picked it up and spread it like wildfire.

I don't care if it's Bowman's fault, but Tallon was a soup sandwich on details and there was alot of bad media after the Pulford crew purge. Bowman could have made plenty of bad calls, but he could show he was organized and deliberate. Tallon's had plenty of messy hires and contract negotiations, probably because they had to be done off of the golf course sometimes.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Iginla, Stuart, Briere after they made a round 1 exit. They hit the gas and it backfired but ended up working out great for them. Ratanen and Makar aren't there with a patient approach,
I think you have a different definition on jumping the gun or rushing things. These were small-time signings. Yes Avs did try to be tougher playoff team but I think every team does these.

Not sure what the counter of no veteran signings you have in mind in opposite of this is. Yzerman isn't doing that, Buffalo and Toronto didn't not sign vets to try to be good. I'm not sure what point is here

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
That's not common knowledge. That was a local writer's theory who was a Tallon fanboy. I think it was Yahoo who picked it up and spread it like wildfire.

I don't care if it's Bowman's fault, but Tallon was a soup sandwich on details and there was alot of bad media after the Pulford crew purge. Bowman could have made plenty of bad calls, but he could show he was organized and deliberate. Tallon's had plenty of messy hires and contract negotiations, probably because they had to be done off of the golf course sometimes.
You don’t agree with it so it’s made up?
Did we all imagine the press conference where Tallon makes his “it doesn’t matter who, the buck stops here”. statement?

I’ve never claimed Tallon to be a genius but you are now claiming Bowman didn’t drop the ball is humorous.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
It ended up working great for them, because they sucked after signing those old guys, and got to draft Rantanen and Makar. I don't understand what we should be imitating from the Avs?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
It ended up working great for them, because they sucked after signing those old guys, and got to draft Rantanen and Makar. I don't understand what we should be imitating from the Avs?
The point was most of the best teams in the cap era didn't get there with a patient or overripening approach. It makes sense, it's pretty on paper, but teams didn't get to the top and stay there with sustained tanking and then a slow approach to finish coming out of it post cap.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Did we all imagine the press conference where Tallon makes his “it doesn’t matter who, the buck stops here”. statement?

I’ve never claimed Tallon to be a genius but you are now claiming Bowman didn’t drop the ball is humorous.
Bowman may have indeed sabotaged his arch-nemesis Tallon to take his job for all I know, but the story that came out about what happened was unsubstantiated. The idea that it was the assistant gm responsible for mailing the offers came from a former staffer of a different front office and the goofball media that hated McD picked up and ran with it filling in all the blanks.

It was repeated and repeated and repeated for years after the first cup, but the actual facts never came out...and they don't matter beyond being important in assessing what did or did not happen and how it changed things.

Anyway, Donato is fine, wasting money is fine at the owner's discretion is fine, but there's very little evidence that these are moves that fit a template of a proven "go slow" approach to building a sustainable contender. We can like it and see how it makes sense, but being honest with ourselves there's just as good of an argument that hitting the gas on buying talent gets teams to the top sustainably even if it's ugly for a few years.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Over/Under on # of healthy scratches?
He played every game in the playoffs for Seattle. He just turned 27. If he’s getting healthy scratched, it’s probably a good sign for what’s cooking amongst the young players.

Who cares. Dale Tallon’s entire executive career was remarkably mediocre. His biggest claim to fame was drafting Toews third and Kane first. If he hadn’t, they would have gone fourth and second, respectively.

Reactions: Pez68

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Losing both Toews and Domi at the dot is going to hurt....Domi really impressed last year there ....I think the Hawks physicality ----especially at the forward position would be pretty impressive adding Domi to the team. The depth of the forwards would be quite solid.
Chicago was one of the best teams in faceoff all season long…but bottom of standings…this I could not figure out, poor possession numbers I guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad