Pre-Game Talk: Hawks in the SENS Den, Tues 7:30 pm on TSN

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Good start imo, two horrible goals against, pick yourself up, a suspect call or two brings to 4-0, claw back to 4-2 and then the old delay of game penalty from Smith finished us off....sucks that they flat out gave up after as it appeared it could have been a competitive game from the start, but understandable given the way the game played out. Way she goes and back to tanking, expect more of the same tonight vs the Leafs.

Reactions: Cosmix

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Every time we think we hit rock bottom it seems to get worse with another blowout loss just around the corner.
Combination of this team not as good as some think they are in addition to the majority of them not really caring is a recipe for disaster.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Phaneuf’s legs are shot. Should make him a healthy scratch tomorrow just like Seabrook.

What's the deal with him? Has he had any major leg injuries?
I've heard he has a really good work ethic in the gym...which is confusing because his endurance looks like shit. He'll move his legs one shift on the rush...and the rest of the game he's luke Richardson/Jason smith out there not moving his legs swinging his stick around.

For a guy known to spend a lot of time in the gym, he sure doesn't do much explosive training for his lower body...nor does he seem to do any long distance cardio.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
They gave up so much to get Duchene, but the ball is in his court. Does he want to stay? Will he commit to us long term? We’ll find out in the summer when contract negotiations open up.

I hope we don't do like Ryan and sign him based off what he did 5 years ago. Based off the last couple seasons(which is all that matters really) he shouldn't get a lick over 5 million.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I hope we don't do like Ryan and sign him based off what he did 5 years ago. Based off the last couple seasons(which is all that matters really) he shouldn't get a lick over 5 million.
This is what terrifies me. Another Ryan type contract.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Checked out after 6-2 but I found Duchene to be one of the only guys going last night setting up his line mates countless times early on, I have liked his game since he has gotten here, it is more what he is surrounded with and in last nights case who was behind him that is the problem imo.

If we based who we want to re-sign going forward out of "the vets" on this season alone it would be Duchene, Stone and Dzingle for me, that is all.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
He also had a semi breakaway and led the breakout on a couple occasions.

Rookie mistakes are expected. He's not doing more harm than any other player.

No he is not, but it's not like he did anything special to garner more ice time. I guess because everyone else sucked too why not give him more ice time? What a time to be alive.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He played for the worst team in the league last year. He had 59 points the year before that. You think he’s regressing at age 26? He had 10 points in 14 games before he came here. He’s been much better lately, but overall he’s struggled. You think this will continue? He’s going to be a 40 point guy for the foreseeable future?

He’s played on two of the worst teams in the league the last two years. That contributes to it. No question. He’s going to score more than 40 points here next year. Don’t be silly.

We don't know that for sure. Some players decline quickly.

I don't like this logic of "they produced 5 years ago...so even if they haven't produced in 2 years they can start producing again"...that's exactly how you end up with Bobby Ryan contracts. You'd think we'd learn.

For every player that has their production go up after age 25, there's a few that their production go down.

For every alfredsson, there's a joe Juneau.

Look at guys like heatley and spezza. Their best years came in their early to mid 20s.

Players offensive peaks are usually around 24. Not 28-32 like some people think.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
No he is not, but it's not like he did anything special to garner more ice time. I guess because everyone else sucked too why not give him more ice time? What a time to be alive.
It just doesn't make sense to me when you have future prospects looking to make an impact that you'd give them the ice time they've been getting in favor of guys who aren't projected to be here long term. Especially when playoffs are unrealistic.

If the team was winning, in a playoff spot and everyone is playing well then yes its understandable to a degree but not given our circumstances

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No, but he’s probably going to get at least 6 years at 6 million per. They gave up so much to get him. It’s like the Ryan deal. Give up a lot for a guy who needs an extension soon. He’ll get it unless he wants to move on.
6x6 for a 40 something point player who has declined in production 4-5 years in a row? I'm not high enough for this...

Reactions: derriko

Rodzilla

Aug 31, 2010
Canada
He saw the ice though, I remember him creating 1 turnover, and also turning the puck over a few times.

Same he also got a semi-breakaway. I hope they let him try Ryan's spot tonight. I hope Boucher is able to see by himself that playing our vets the way he has hasn't done any good this year and won't do any good for the rest of the year either. Mix it up Guy.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Saw the ice far too often with Burrows and Dumont.

Honestly if you can’t net a couple with those guys on your wings you probably shouldn’t have an NHL career.

In all seriousness I guess someone has to play with them right? I mean yeah I’m not opposed to benching both guys but who are the replacements? I’m all for throwing more young guys in but I’m not holding my breath for any results.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Can't say I follow the logic here.

Karlsson was one of the biggest advocates in the org of bringing Duchene in. They are tight, have been for years, off-season workout partners, etc...

The team walking away from Duchene, the guy Karlsson specifically wanted here, could very realistically be the last straw for him here in Ottawa.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Checked out after 6-2 but I found Duchene to be one of the only guys going last night setting up his line mates countless times early on, I have liked his game since he has gotten here, it is more what he is surrounded with and in last nights case who was behind him that is the problem imo.

If we based who we want to re-sign going forward out of "the vets" on this season alone it would be Duchene, Stone and Dzingle for me, that is all.

I'm not saying don't sign duchene. I'm saying sign duchene according to what he's done the last few years...not what he did a handful of years ago. That's how you end up with Ryan.

Where does duchenes production rank in the last 2 years, and how much do those players make around that ranking? 4-5 million? I'd do that. 6-7 million? Need to do all types of drugs to be ok with that.

Reactions: derriko

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm not saying don't sign duchene. I'm saying sign duchene according to what he's done the last few years...not what he did a handful of years ago. That's how you end up with Ryan.

Where does duchenes production rank in the last 2 years, and how much do those players make around that ranking? 4-5 million? I'd do that. 6-7 million? Need to do all types of drugs to be ok with that.
Unfortunately that's not how UFA works...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad