Post-Game Talk: Hawks have one good minute in a Wild loss, surprisingly not enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

CertainAffinity*

Sorry to interrupt this Corsi/Crawford/Q fight or whatever...

but I just am not enthused about the Hawks having a losing record in the Central when there's this divisional-focused playoffs coming this year.

What is it about the Central teams that give the Hawks more problems? Are they really that good? Or do the other teams in the division just get up that much more to play the Hawks?

I don't know. We haven't had that many games against Central division opponents where the Hawks bothered to show up and play 60 minutes worth of hockey. Hard to gauge where they stand a pure talent/skill/potential level when we have only 15 minute efforts to go by.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Crazy how the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup during the 2009-2010 NHL Season without Michael Frolik?

Crazy how the Chicago Blackhawks had the fourth best penalty killing unit during the 2009-10 NHL Season without Michael Frolik?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...L&sort=penaltyKillPercentage&viewName=summary

Chicago Blackhawks management traded Michael Frolik. If Michael Frolik was so valuable to the Chicago Blackhawks organization, he would still be on the roster. Furthermore, the cap difference between Rozsival and Frolik this season are negligible. The Chicago Blackhawks roster for the 2013-14 NHL Season has been finalized. Frolik is no longer on the roster, so freakin' live with it.

This ALL started when you claimed Frolik and Kruger weren't our top penalty killers last year. You were/are/will continue to be wrong.

But keep your head in the ice fishing hole. Did I use that correctly?

CertainAffinity*

Crazy how the Chicago Blackhawks won the Stanley Cup during the 2009-2010 NHL Season without Michael Frolik?

Crazy how the Chicago Blackhawks had the fourth best penalty killing unit during the 2009-10 NHL Season without Michael Frolik?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/teamstats.ht...L&sort=penaltyKillPercentage&viewName=summary

Chicago Blackhawks management traded Michael Frolik. If Michael Frolik was so valuable to the Chicago Blackhawks organization, he would still be on the roster. Furthermore, the cap difference between Rozsival and Frolik this season are negligible. The Chicago Blackhawks roster for the 2013-14 NHL Season has been finalized. Frolik is no longer on the roster, so freakin' live with it.

I am living with it. We all are. We're here, living with a 29th ranked PK.

Frolik was shipped out because of the realities of the business. We had to sign a third line player (Bickell) for 4 million, and we had to sign the goalie with the 33rd best SV% in the league [so far this year] for 6 million, in a year with a reduced cap ceiling. If they could have kept Frolik, they would have. And honestly, they probably fell into the same trap that many, many teams do, thinking that because a guy is a role player, he's easily replaceable.

Now, personally, I think we had to do the Bickell signing, because we needed that power forward role filled. That said, I think the 6 million signing fro Crawford was a joke and that Stan Bowman needs his ****ing head examined for choosing to sign a player at the height of that player's bargaining power, coming off a shortened season and career numbers.

If Stan Bowman had waited until the 40 game mark of this season, he would probably be looking at a 5.5 million dollar contract. If he waited til closer to the trade deadline, probably a 5 million dollar contract.

If the cap hadn't gone down, Frolik would still be here, at least for another season or two.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
DEC 5 '13 CHI @ MIN L 4 23 19 .826
DEC 3 '13 DAL @ CHI L 4 18 14 .778
NOV 29 '13 CHI @ DAL W 1 29 28 .966
NOV 25 '13 CHI @ EDM W 1 25 24 .960
NOV 23 '13 CHI @ VAN W 1 37 36 .973
NOV 21 '13 CHI @ WPG W 3 25 22 .880
NOV 19 '13 CHI @ COL L 3 7 4 .571
NOV 17 '13 SJS @ CHI W 1 24 23 .958
NOV 16 '13 CHI @ NSH L 5 22 17 .773
NOV 14 '13 PHX @ CHI W 4 30 26 .867
NOV 10 '13 EDM @ CHI W 4 23 19 .826

Crawford's last 11 games

232 SV/263SH = 0.88 save %

4 games over 90%
7 under 90% including 5 under 83%

Not only does he not bail the team out when needed but just flat out loses games for them all by himself (Colorado/Dallas)

I dont know how anyone can defend his performance, even the games that he has a great save percentage, he has been mediocre minus maybe two games max (Vancouver/Dallas) which can be considered good but not by any means amazing.

Conclusion:

Last 11 games

2 good games
4 average games
3 bad games
2 horrendous games

This right here ladies and gentlemen is a basic entry level NHL goalie. Definitely not worth 6 million a year for the next 6 years. This is a 3 million dollar goalie locked up for 3 years max. I would give my left nut that Raanta can do a much better job, I have zero doubt about that and anyone who does is not in their right mind.

SLarmer28*

I am living with it. We all are. We're here, living with a 29th ranked PK.

Frolik was shipped out because of the realities of the business. We had to sign a third line player (Bickell) for 4 million, and we had to sign the goalie with the 33rd best SV% in the league [so far this year] for 6 million, in a year with a reduced cap ceiling. If they could have kept Frolik, they would have. And honestly, they probably fell into the same trap that many, many teams do, thinking that because a guy is a role player, he's easily replaceable.

Now, personally, I think we had to do the Bickell signing, because we needed that power forward role filled. That said, I think the 6 million signing fro Crawford was a joke and that Stan Bowman needs his ****ing head examined for choosing to sign a player at the height of that player's bargaining power, coming off a shortened season and career numbers.

If Stan Bowman had waited until the 40 game mark of this season, he would probably be looking at a 5.5 million dollar contract. If he waited til closer to the trade deadline, probably a 5 million dollar contract.

If the cap hadn't gone down, Frolik would still be here, at least for another season or two.
Crawford's $6 million cap hit does not go into effect until the 2014-15 NHL Season.

This is not about Bickell whatsoever.

This is about a 35 year old Rozsival ($2.2 million cap hit) versus a 25 year old Frolik ($2.33 million cap hit). If the Chicago Blackhawks experience salary cap difficulties next season, Rozsival will be the first to go.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Crawford's $6 million cap hit does not go into effect until the 2014-15 NHL Season.

This is not about Bickell whatsoever.

This is about a 35 year old Rozsival ($2.2 million cap hit) versus a 25 year old Frolik ($2.33 million cap hit). If the Chicago Blackhawks experience salary cap difficulties next season, Rozsival will be the first to go.

When did this become about Michal Rozsival?

SLarmer28*

The consistency with which you are wrong is shocking and impressive. If our PK was HALF has consistent as your wrongness, we would have no issues.
Seriously, the Winnipeg Jets board awaits you since you care more about Michael Frolik than the Chicago Blackhawks. So please go worship the shrine of Michael Frolik soon to be erected in your mind.

Nothingman*

We aren't going to win every game. And some we will be flat. Our starting goalie is inconsistent and the PK is last in the league. We should by 1/3 of the season have the PK figured out. Fro was a good PK but so was Bolland. That is why I don't understand the boner over one guy and no crying for the other that was a better two way player and could be used in all situations compared to Fro. This constant whining over losing Fro and therefore our PK is poor is ridiculous. It is on the coaches to teach and make the adjustments as well as the players to learn them and put them in practice.

SLarmer28*

We should by 1/3 of the season have the PK figured out. Fro was a good PK but so was Bolland. That is why I don't understand the boner over one guy and no crying for the other that was a better two way player and could be used in all situations compared to Fro. This constant whining over losing Fro and therefore our PK is poor is ridiculous. It is on the coaches to teach and make the adjustments as well as the players to learn them and put them in practice.
Dave Bolland is on the shelf recovering from a lacerated Achilles tendon for undetermined amount of time, so Dave Bolland would be of no assistance to the Chicago Blackhawks this season.

Nothingman*

Last year, Frolik was better in every facet of the game compared to Bolland. Bolland was hot garbage last season.

He was good on the PK. Played poorly most of the year last year yes. Fro sucked both years on the Hawks before last. Your memories are damn short.

I am sick of this board throwing a pity party over a marginal scrub on the Winnipeg Jets.

Nothingman*

Dave Bolland is on the shelf recovering from a lacerated Achilles tendon for undetermined amount of time, so Dave Bolland would be of no assistance to the Chicago Blackhawks this season.

He would not have had that happen if he was on the Hawks as he would not have been in that game. And I am not asking for him back. Just sick of this Fro ********.

CertainAffinity*

We aren't going to win every game. And some we will be flat. Our starting goalie is inconsistent and the PK is last in the league. We should by 1/3 of the season have the PK figured out. Fro was a good PK but so was Bolland. That is why I don't understand the boner over one guy and no crying for the other that was a better two way player and could be used in all situations compared to Fro. This constant whining over losing Fro and therefore our PK is poor is ridiculous. It is on the coaches to teach and make the adjustments as well as the players to learn them and put them in practice.

I don't actually have that much of a hardon for Frolik, I just disagree with the absurd notion that Hossa and Toews were our two best penalty killers last year, and the conversation spiraled from there.

I agree it's absolutely on the coaches to make the adjustments in light of the roster changes. Moreover, anybody with eyeballs can look at our PK and our 5on5 team defense this year, compare it to our PK and 5on5 team defense last year, and see the immediate, obvious difference. Where we were aggressive and relentless in our puck pursuit and pressure on the opposing puck carriers last year, this year we are passive. We give players too much room, we NEVER outman the other team on the boards, we never pressure the points on the PK and we lose more 50/50 puck battles than we win.

We're a very skilled team. We were a very skilled team last year too, but what took us from 'skilled' to 'damn near unbeatable' was the fact that every single player on the ice bought into their role, and played a full 60 minutes of absolutely relentless, 200 foot hockey. Playing against the Blackhawks last year meant enduring wave after wave after wave of fast, aggressive pressure that forced mistakes, and created transitions that you got burned on. And it wasn't a 10 minute flurry when they felt their backs against the wall, it started at 20:00 of the first period and Did. Not. Stop.

And that's missing this year. We seem to be gliding around by comparison, and taking waaaaaaaaaaaay too many shifts and periods off.

Nothingman*

I don't actually have that much of a hardon for Frolik, I just disagree with the absurd notion that Hossa and Toews were our two best penalty killers last year, and the conversation spiraled from there.

I agree it's absolutely on the coaches to make the adjustments in light of the roster changes. Moreover, anybody with eyeballs can look at our PK and our 5on5 team defense this year, compare it to our PK and 5on5 team defense last year, and see the immediate, obvious difference. Where we were aggressive and relentless in our puck pursuit and pressure on the opposing puck carriers last year, this year we are passive. We give players too much room, we NEVER outman the other team on the boards, we never pressure the points on the PK and we lose more 50/50 puck battles than we win.

We're a very skilled team. We were a very skilled team last year too, but what took us from 'skilled' to 'damn near unbeatable' was the fact that every single player on the ice bought into their role, and played a full 60 minutes of absolutely relentless, 200 foot hockey. Playing against the Blackhawks last year meant enduring wave after wave after wave of fast, aggressive pressure that forced mistakes, and created transitions that you got burned on. And it wasn't a 10 minute flurry when they felt their backs against the wall, it started at 20:00 of the first period and Did. Not. Stop.

And that's missing this year. We seem to be gliding around by comparison.

Totally agree with this statement. They are playing different (forwards especially) on the PK and defensively compared to last year.

Hawkscap

Jan 22, 2007
Good call. I mean, Jamie Kompon has b2b cups having led the pp of the Kings then the Hawks. Really what else is there to say.

Funny thing is that both were on the bottom half of the league for the PP during the regular season. During the playoffs, they both were one of the worst.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I remember when Bobby Jet and I were criticized for pointing these things out because we are winning.

The PK is atrocious and no heads roll.

The PP is undependable and middle of the pack and no heads roll.

The goaltending is marginal currently and no heads roll. So much for evaluating the assistant coaching staff.

I will sit back and wait for the adjustments Q makes, remember the even strength puck possession system is not exactly his either. There's a guy who really developed it in the NHL with great success. He sits next to Q on team flights from time to time.

I guess that leaves us with lineup choices as 100% Q's domain.;)

Last edited:

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
While I agree with some of your frustrations, heads don't usually roll 30 games into the season after a Cup win where the team is also off to a very hot start.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Bad game overall, team showed up for 7mins and almost won.

Hopefully Crawford gets his **** together over the next bit, he hasn't been very good the last bunch of games outside of the game in Dallas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad