Rumor: Hawks did not qualify D Slater Koekkoek

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I dont have Athletic but here is info

2:40 p.m.: The Blackhawks did not qualify restricted free agent Slater Koekkoek, according to a source.

Koekkoek was in and out of the Blackhawks’ lineup early this past season, but he found a consistent spot after being paired with Olli Maatta in January. Maatta and Koekkoek were arguably the Blackhawks’ most effective defense pairing late in the season. The Blackhawks recently traded Maatta to the Los Angeles Kings.

By not qualifying Koekkoek, the Blackhawks have opened another defenseman spot. It’s believed they’d like to give rookie defensemen Ian Mitchell and Wyatt Kalynuk each an opportunity to make the NHL roster out of training camp.

What a stupid move

He is still young , can play both RD/LD , He was among the best Hawk players to end year and in playoffs and is perfect affordable D to have on 3rd pairing

Hawks have taken step back trading away Maatta and now letting Koek go... Our two best defenders in playoffs

Koekkoek turned his career around last year , someone is going to get a good defender here for 3rd pairing

not a troll

Oct 24, 2012
Wow if they didn't want him I'm sure someone would have given up a pick for him. He's still an NHL'er.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Wow if they didn't want him I'm sure someone would have given up a pick for him. He's still an NHL'er.

A lot of RFAs are not being qualified because if you qualify them there are rules about how much they get automatically. Which normally isn’t a problem but in a flat cap, no fans in the arena COVID world, teams are having to use every possible tool they can to cut salary.

There’s a strong chance that teams all have agreements to not poach other teams’ RFAs so they can not QO them then negotiate new deals as though they were still RFAs.

Or maybe they’re all just risking it because the market is flooded with un-QO’ed RFAs and nobody has money to start a bidding war.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
A lot of RFAs are not being qualified because if you qualify them there are rules about how much they get automatically. Which normally isn’t a problem but in a flat cap, no fans in the arena COVID world, teams are having to use every possible tool they can to cut salary.

There’s a strong chance that teams all have agreements to not poach other teams’ RFAs so they can not QO them then negotiate new deals as though they were still RFAs.

Or maybe they’re all just risking it because the market is flooded with un-QO’ed RFAs and nobody has money to start a bidding war.

In Koekkoek's case his arbitration comparables look like $1.1m to $1.2m to me. Not much above the qualifying offer and not a huge risk for a bad arbitration award.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Wonder if Yzerman takes a stab.

IIRC, wasn't making sure Vegas didn't take Koekkoek (and Dotchin) part of why Yzerman sent them Gusev, a 2nd and a 4th?

Reactions: DatsDeking

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
In Koekkoek's case his arbitration comparables look like $1.1m to $1.2m to me. Not much above the qualifying offer and not a huge risk for a bad arbitration award.

But they cannot go less than the QO and I think that’s what they’re wanting to do, similar to how the Leafs didn’t qualify Rodrigues and are still negotiating with him on a contract.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's the RFAs with arbitration rights that are the ones who may not get their QO. Either those who have a current big number where the player would just sign the QO, thus once you qualify them you can't retract it. The other group is RFAs who are making in the $1 million plus range who now have arbitration rights. Based on their numbers, teams have an idea of what the award would likely be, so they have to determine if they want the player at what the arbitration number is likely to be. Teams can't walk away from a number unless it's over like $3.5 million or something in that range, per the CBA.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I thought this guy turned it up a bit in his recent play? I can't imagine his arb numbers are astronomical, seems like a really shrewd buy low option

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
There is zero chance of that happening. That would be seen as collusion by the players pretty quickly and easily.

Eh... collusion still happens. There are unwritten “rules” among GMs. Plus, like I said after, maybe there isn’t any agreement and everyone knows they are all in the same boat.

Sort of like when a prude of lions is stalking a herd of gazelles. One or two of those gazelles are getting eaten but they’re all huddled together knowing most of them are getting out alive. So maybe one or two RFAs will get scooped by a rival team but overall the GMs will succeed in reaching terms with their RFAs below what they might’ve needed to qualify them at, and Tambellini gets black-balled again.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I have no problem cutting him loose. He's good for at least one bone-headed play per game at the most inopportune time. See ya, 4K.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
It's the RFAs with arbitration rights that are the ones who may not get their QO. Either those who have a current big number where the player would just sign the QO, thus once you qualify them you can't retract it. The other group is RFAs who are making in the $1 million plus range who now have arbitration rights. Based on their numbers, teams have an idea of what the award would likely be, so they have to determine if they want the player at what the arbitration number is likely to be. Teams can't walk away from a number unless it's over like $3.5 million or something in that range, per the CBA.

Of course I know that. I'm asking if Chicago would be unhappy with signing Koekkoek at $1.1m to $1.2m?

From the outside it looks more like they want the roster space, rather then concern of an arbitration award.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Eh... collusion still happens. There are unwritten “rules” among GMs. Plus, like I said after, maybe there isn’t any agreement and everyone knows they are all in the same boat.

Sort of like when a prude of lions is stalking a herd of gazelles. One or two of those gazelles are getting eaten but they’re all huddled together knowing most of them are getting out alive. So maybe one or two RFAs will get scooped by a rival team but overall the GMs will succeed in reaching terms with their RFAs below what they might’ve needed to qualify them at, and Tambellini gets black-balled again.

I don't disagree that collusion happens. Lack of offer sheets is a great example of that. What I'm saying is this is an unprecedented situation. It's easy to collude on RFAs. Tough to collude on UFAs. Many of these guys are legit not wanted anymore. You think a GM is going to phone all the other GMs to get permission before negotiating with a free agent? Seems unlikely to happen.

Collusion happens on a smaller scale in situations where it's easy to be on the same page. To do this would require tons of effort to organize at a time when GMs are busy with other things

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Of course I know that. I'm asking if Chicago would be unhappy with signing Koekkoek at $1.1m to $1.2m?

From the outside it looks more like they want the roster space, rather then concern of an arbitration award.
They have a lot of D prospects. Slater is waiver wire material so in that sense it’s not shocking.

We will see how tight fisted GMs are this weekend.

will they show restraint when it comes to the likes of a Toffoli, Barrie, Hoffman, etc.

Web In Front

Feb 1, 2020
This isn't like Duclair and Kahun going unqualified due to arbitration concerns. Hawks just don't value Koekkoek.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad