Post-Game Talk: Hawks beat Yotes 5-4 in the SO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
i concur morin looked terrible, same with bollig

Yup, Bollig didn't look great, but he was still responsible in our end. He just couldn't do anything with the puck in the neutral zone, or in the offensive zone (nothing new, I know).

It was probably his worst game this year, so I'm not too worried about him ... yet.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Yup, Bollig didn't look great, but he was still responsible in our end. He just couldn't do anything with the puck in the neutral zone, or in the offensive zone (nothing new, I know).

It was probably his worst game this year, so I'm not too worried about him ... yet.

Bollig did have a terrible turnover near the Hawks blue line as well.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I haven’t seen the last 15 minutes , OT or the SO yet (it's on PVR) ….. but, no comments about Coyote players going to the net all night unimpeded, while Hawk dmen stood around and watched? Particularly Oduya and Hammer. This issue is getting worse, that I can see. Seems quite obvious that the word is definitely out that that is the way to beat us. At least get position on these players if you’re not going to apply the body. Stick checking can only do so much. Crawford must have felt like a shooting duck out there. They may get away with it now, but in the POs………………..?

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
I haven’t seen the last 15 minutes , OT or the SO yet (it's on PVR) ….. but, no comments about Coyote players going to the net all night unimpeded, while Hawk dmen stood around and watched? Particularly Oduya and Hammer. This issue is getting worse, that I can see. Seems quite obvious that the word is definitely out that that is the way to beat us. At least get position on these players if you’re not going to apply the body. Stick checking can only do so much. Crawford must have felt like a shooting duck out there. They may get away with it now, but in the POs………………..?

Concerning, but not a problem they can't shore up.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA

They pretty much nullified the Coyotes chances in the 3rd and OT. I also don't get complaining about players not being physical when you know its not part of their game. Lamenting Oduya's lack of physical play is like lamenting Bollig's scoring prowess. He's gonna get caught with his pants down in the defensive zone at times. Its who he is, but he makes up for it in other ways.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Mike Smith is amongst my most disliked players in the league. What a little *****. And a whiney idiot off the ice, too. Get a clue.

Shaw barely made any contact with him at all...didn't even extend his own arms if I recall correctly, and was directed into him by a Phoenix d-man. That play pissed me off to no end. At least the ref evened it up. I'd love to see someone tune his ***** ass and give him something to really flop and complain about.

Rant over.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They pretty much nullified the Coyotes chances in the 3rd and OT. I also don't get complaining about players not being physical when you know its not part of their game. Lamenting Oduya's lack of physical play is like lamenting Bollig's scoring prowess. He's gonna get caught with his pants down in the defensive zone at times. Its who he is, but he makes up for it in other ways.

No one expects any of our dmen to be Scott Stevens-like physically but it is pretty basic defensive hockey to harass players hovering around the crease. I just can’t believe that Hawk coaching staff continues to condone them not trying to move anyone and relying strictly on stick checking once the puck arrives. Keith is so skilled he can usually can get away with it… but as I said, at the very least guys like JO and Hammer need to get position on the ops and give CC a fighting chance to at least see the puck and help clean up if there is a rebound. Coyotes were deflecting pucks from the slot, then feeding on rebounds for the first 2 periods. Goals came too easily for them.
But then again, Hawks have been breaking the rules for a while now, and it has worked, so go figure. Johns can’t get here fast enough.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
C'mon, Mike Smith. What a tool.

Both players revisited a bit of old history as Smith believed Shaw made a dangerous play on a drive to the net during the third period of the game — the same issue that earned Shaw a three-game suspension for in the 2012 playoffs against Phoenix.

Smith was once again unhappy after the collision, and he didn't hold back his feelings toward Shaw's on-ice antics after the game.

"He has a reputation of two years ago, knocking me out and it was kind of a dirty play back in front again," Smith said. "I've talked about it numerous times with the league. When we talk about vulnerable hits, that's a goalie down in front trying to make the save and guy sticks his elbow out. That's attempt to injure as far as I'm concerned."

http://www.csnchicago.com/blackhawks/mike-smith-tested-vs-hawks-takes-issue-andrew-shaw

What a joke he is. Maybe he should watch the replay, then he will see that his own player checked Shaw into himself. I really hope he is not Team Canada's goalie, I do not want to cheer for him AT ALL.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
No one expects any of our dmen to be Scott Stevens-like physically but it is pretty basic defensive hockey to harass players hovering around the crease. I just can’t believe that Hawk coaching staff continues to condone them not trying to move anyone and relying strictly on stick checking once the puck arrives. Keith is so skilled he can usually can get away with it… but as I said, at the very least guys like JO and Hammer need to get position on the ops and give CC a fighting chance to at least see the puck and help clean up if there is a rebound. Coyotes were deflecting pucks from the slot, then feeding on rebounds for the first 2 periods. Goals came too easily for them.
But then again, Hawks have been breaking the rules for a while now, and it has worked, so go figure. Johns can’t get here fast enough.

Sometimes the problem with trying to clear the front, is you end up making the screen on your goalie even worse. We won 2 cups without worrying too much about a guy standing in front of our goalie.

The problem is the forwards aren't getting in the shooting lanes enough or effectively enough. Be nice to see Crawford make some difficult saves, too. He hasn't done much of that in the last few games.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Sometimes the problem with trying to clear the front, is you end up making the screen on your goalie even worse. We won 2 cups without worrying too much about a guy standing in front of our goalie.

The problem is the forwards aren't getting in the shooting lanes enough or effectively enough. Be nice to see Crawford make some difficult saves, too. He hasn't done much of that in the last few games.

True. That's definitely part of our loose play in the back end ... And that's probably got Q irked more than any other deficiency, outside of the PK.

ChiTownCode

Natural Perm
Aug 13, 2013
Chicago
Didn't Doan knee Johnny O in the head and then finish him off later in the shift instead of going after the puck when Oduya was pretty much out of the play?

I hate Doan...

zac

Apr 29, 2009

On the last goal Oduya just stood there. If you aren't going to body up in the crease, you have to react and ensure your stick is on the ice to clear the puck. He did neither.

Our puck clearing skills in general were piss poor to say the least. The Coyotes seem to understand as a team that once the pressure is on you don't dick around, clear the puck hard and see what happens. One or two of their goals, largely because of Brookbank, were scored from a retained possession off a weak or failed clearing attempt.

Gotta like the pressure we applied, although Hossa missed two easy opportunities and Saad passed up a wide open opportunity for a cute pass attempt. We were victimize by a weak first goal, turnovers in our zone and week crease play (giving unnecessary opportunities), not pressuring the puck on the perimeter once puck possession was established in the d zone (same reason why our PK sucks), Brookbank (was brutal), and Keith's passing (too many passes at the skates though he wasn't the only one).

It's a little disconcerting we didn't blast this team as they had no business being in the game, but there was more good than bad on the overall. If we had Rosy instead of Brookbank it would have likely been a 4/5-2 victory. It was essentially 6 on 4 every time Brookbank was on the ice.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
/\ I watched 3rd period and rest of game on PVR. Hawks were an improved team and other than a few lapses, kicked butt. I hate to see Saad trying to get fancy again but I think that stellar goaltending will do that to players. Smith was outstanding. And Brookbank isn't nearly as bad as you imply.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
yeah, Doan is a ********. That's not news to anybody.
Smith is one of the players I hope that really get taken out. Maybe if he finally stops with his antics this may change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad