Having 'nhl' in website url

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
So long as you don't try to use nhl.org or nhl.net, you should be ok. Just make sure it is clear you are not affiliated with the league in any way and it is not an official website of the NHL. If you are worried, you should consult an intellectual property attorney.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Shouldn't be a problem if your site falls under fair use. Could always reach out to nhl for a written permission.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Looking to build a hockey related website.
Is there any legal complications including 'nhl' in the websites URL?

As a lawyer, but not one who specializes in intellectual property, I would suggest this is the kind of thing you should actually sit down and talk to a lawyer about.

Edit: I had almost forgotten - a long time ago I helped out a website that had the initials WWF in it. The website was contacted by WWF (the wrestling people - like I said it was a long time ago) about the website name. The law around this is complex (which is why you should consult with a lawyer) but the website in the long run decided it was better off just changing the website name to remove the offending letters.

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
As a lawyer, but not one who specializes in intellectual property, I would suggest this is the kind of thing you should actually sit down and talk to a lawyer about.

Edit: I had almost forgotten - a long time ago I helped out a website that had the initials WWF in it. The website was contacted by WWF (the wrestling people - like I said it was a long time ago) about the website name. The law around this is complex (which is why you should consult with a lawyer) but the website in the long run decided it was better off just changing the website name to remove the offending letters.

paypalsucks.com has been around forever and has a documented history of domain dispute with paypay -> PayPalSucks.com FAQ, answering your domain name dispute questions, and sometimes, your hate mail.

Would be interesting to know what is the league official stand on usage of associated TM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad