Have you visited the Hockey Hall of Fame? Share your experience, compare it to other HOFs

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I have had my fair share of visits there over the years. I'm an hour away. Downtown Toronto, near Union Station sort of hidden away if you weren't looking for it.

I love it, I mean it does pretty good on the nostalgic side of things. You can get a picture of the Stanley Cup, you can see everyone who has been inducted and it is incredibly interactive.

This is the difference with the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. In Cooperstown it is just a small little hole in the wall town. The entire town revolves around the Hall. It is a piece of Americana. There is lots of nostalgia there, more than the HHOF. It has been there since 1939, while the current Hockey Hall of Fame has just been in its location since the 1990s.

Baseball has a bit more of the historical aspect to it than Hockey. They rely on it a bit more, there isn't the interactive games there like with Hockey or with Canton (Football). With hockey you can play goalie, shoot on a goalie, use your voice to record famous goals and play table hockey. Lots to do.

So share your thoughts, have you ventured here yet, and if so how did it compare in your mind to other Halls?

Reactions: Troubadour

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
I did in 2005. I was 22 years old. Got to see the replica Stanley Cup. Always regret that I didn't take more photos of myself with it and post it on Facebook nowadays, making people think it's the real Stanley Cup.

Admittedly, I was not that well schooled back then about the history of the game and some of the names frequently mentioned on this forum. If I ever go back, I will have a greater appreciation and knowledge of each of the players enshrined.

I remember the Canadiens' locker room, the jersey store, running into Flyers fans who were super excited about Forsberg joining their team. Seeing the actual trophies was special as well (only the Stanley Cup is a replica).

I grew up in the Soviet Union, so my parents were most excited to see Tretiak and the old Soviet jerseys on display.

Never been to any other Hall of Fame so I can't compare this with other sports.

Reactions: Troubadour

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I remember the Canadiens' locker room, the jersey store, running into Flyers fans who were super excited about Forsberg joining their team. Seeing the actual trophies was special as well (only the Stanley Cup is a replica).

If it is true what I have been told by a HHOF employee himself, it all depends on what time of year you visit the HHOF whether or not the Cup is the real one or not. The last time I went was a few years back in the month of February and it was the real one then. He said if you come in the summer months it is always the replica because the team that won it has it.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I've been to all 4 major HOFs and honestly, the hockey one was the most disappointing.

Very small, limited exhibits and just generally very underwhelming.

The baseball HOF is by far the best of the bunch.

Massive exhibits, a grand awe inspiring hall section, and basically all of downtown Cooperstown is an extension of the HOF. Its almost like a baseball Disney World

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
I've been to all 4 major HOFs and honestly, the hockey one was the most disappointing.

Massive exhibits, a grand awe inspiring hall section, and basically all of downtown Cooperstown is an extension of the HOF. Its almost like a baseball Disney World

Really not that surprising. NHL does everything second rate compared to the other sports.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
I went once when I was a kid when I went to Toronto with my dad on a business trip, we also caught a leafs game and attended a Ballard hosted charity auction(lol).

It was ok, I was young so I mostly just remember looking at the place, don't remember any games.

My kids went on school field trips and saw it.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I live close. Work even closer to the HHOF and I haven’t been there in many, many years.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Oh I agree, Baseball is the cream of the crop. Considering Cooperstown wasn't picked by accident either. It was picked because it was determined that this where baseball was invented. Think of it, a town like Cooperstown maybe 2,000 people is where people flock. They could have done it easier and put it in New York or Boston but they wanted it to be authentic.

Down the street is Doubleday Field, named after Clarence Doubleday the inventor of Baseball. I just sat and watched a bantam game in the stands, just because. It couldn't have FELT more like baseball to do that. This is what the HHOF misses. I can't describe Canton or the Basketball HOF though.

And I agree, Cooperstown down the main road where the HOF is reminds me of Main Street U.S.A. in Disneyland/Disney World. Simple, low maintenance, nostalgic. Niagara-on-the-Lake near Niagara Falls, Ontario has that same sort of feel, but Cooperstown has it beat.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I went to the hall of fame in 1997 I think. I enjoyed it, I thought that the building was nice and the exhibits were interesting to me. The NHL does history pretty well, though obviously there isn't going to be tremendous depth. They had some bad 90s technology where you could put on flimsy goalie gear and watch a screen showing some computer generated players shooting the puck at the net behind you and it would register (somewhat) if you made a save or not. Seemed high tech at the time. The only other hall of fame I have ever been to is the country music hall of fame, which is a good visit if you like seeing old, small guitars and colourful jackets but otherwise definitely worth missing.

I once attended a hockey tournament and stayed in the same hotel as the HHOF guys. One night I was able to go to the room where the Cup was being kept and the Cup was taken out of the case (white gloves on while taking it out) so that we could have a look at it, touch it and whatnot (no lifting it over your head). That was great, though a lot different from the much more stately presentation of the Cup that you see in the actual HHOF.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Oh I agree, Baseball is the cream of the crop. Considering Cooperstown wasn't picked by accident either. It was picked because it was determined that this where baseball was invented. Think of it, a town like Cooperstown maybe 2,000 people is where people flock. They could have done it easier and put it in New York or Boston but they wanted it to be authentic.

Down the street is Doubleday Field, named after Clarence Doubleday the inventor of Baseball. I just sat and watched a bantam game in the stands, just because. It couldn't have FELT more like baseball to do that. This is what the HHOF misses. I can't describe Canton or the Basketball HOF though.

And I agree, Cooperstown down the main road where the HOF is reminds me of Main Street U.S.A. in Disneyland/Disney World. Simple, low maintenance, nostalgic. Niagara-on-the-Lake near Niagara Falls, Ontario has that same sort of feel, but Cooperstown has it beat.

Canton and the NFL HOF are a lot like Cooperstown. The entire town of Canton is geared towards the HOF, there's a HOF stadium and the hall itself is large with many exhibits and things to see.

The actual hall is grand like Cooperstown with all the busts

The basketball HOF is a lot like the hockey HOF. Its in a city (Springfield, MA) but is in its own large building, but has nothing else. The exhibits arent as large as baseball or football, but are bigger than hockey. The hall itself is underwhelming like hockey, just etched glass panels lined up on a wall.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I enjoyed the HoF and I’ve been a couple of times.

My favourite exhibit is the opportunity to call famous goals on the monitor and have them recorded. My brother and I howled with laughter as we got really into the role. It also gives you an appreciation for how difficult it is to describe what is going on the ice in real time.

The shooting exhibit was funny because an American family was right in front of Mrs_NyQuil (before she was Mrs_NyQuil) and I and the Dad was really trying his best.

Mrs_NyQuil then went up there in her heels and miniskirt and started rifling shots into the top corner.

“Dad, that girl is way better than you!”, said the kid.

The look on the guy’s face was worth the price of admission.

I found the actual Hall of Honour or whatever it is called was tastefully done and I liked seeing the old Cup bands that have been removed for display.

If you’re a fan of hockey, I can’t imagine why you wouldn’t enjoy the visit.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I’m pretty sure it’s Abner Doubleday.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If it is true what I have been told by a HHOF employee himself, it all depends on what time of year you visit the HHOF whether or not the Cup is the real one or not. The last time I went was a few years back in the month of February and it was the real one then. He said if you come in the summer months it is always the replica because the team that won it has it.

That's correct. From the start of the playoffs until about October, the real Stanley Cup is on the road and may actually be in town and on display for a handful of days.

During the winter months, it also travels a lot, but much less than the summer. It's generally on the road about 250 days of year at least, and some years even more.

If you ask, the employees will always tell you which version you are seeing and there are some pretty easy ways to tell them apart.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

The Hockey Hall of Fame is 60,000 square feet. Cooperstown is 60,000 square feet.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The first time I went was the last year the Maple Leaf Gardens was open. Went with my 13 year-old son. HHOF in the morning, junior game in the afternoon (St. Mike's Majors), Leafs-Sens at night. A memorable day to say the least.

Two things stood out from that visit.

First, the Great (trophy) Hall. We were the first two people in. You go up a staircase and the huge room is under a dome. We stopped at the top step and just sucked in the atmosphere in dead silence. Hockey heaven.

Second, there was a 1950's family in their 50s living room watching 50s HNIC. The old black and white TV had on an actual game video. Mom, Dad, son & daughter mannequins all enjoying the game. I was wishing it was a Twilight Zone episode where I could step into the scene as a young Canadian kid and spend the rest of eternity watching HNIC.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Has anyone ever visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland? If you ask why it is in Cleveland and not somewhere like Memphis the reason is explained that Alan Freed - the DJ who gets credit for coining the phrase "Rock and Roll" - had the first Rock and Roll concert in Cleveland and he was from there as well. Plus I think the city made a big push to have it located there because, well, what else is there to do in Cleveland?

I am not even sure why the HHOF is in Toronto other than a good location for it. Hockey is said to have started in all sorts of place along the St. Lawrence River from Kingston to Montreal.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Haven’t been there since 2001, and I plan on that changing soon. I went with my dad as a kid, and was aware of hockey’s history even then, but had nowhere near the knowledge or appreciation that I do now. My son is 2 months old and it would be a dream come true to be able to take him when he gets older.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I haven't been as I have only been to Toronto once as a teen for a weekend and at the airport between flights.

My ex worked security at the Vancouver Olympics and I got a call to come on down and take a picture with the SC and hold it but I really didn't want to as I think it should be reserved by players won won it.

Later that day I picked my ex up from work and she was late, turned out she was having her picture taken with the SC, which she hung up behind my "archie bunker chair" while we were still together.

I never regretted my decision but hope to visit the HHOF in the next couple of years on a planned holiday to the big smoke.

Reactions: Big Phil

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
I’ve only been to the baseball and hockey HoFs. I enjoyed both of them. I think the baseball one does a better job with the static exhibits and conveying the history of the game, the hockey one has the interactive exhibits which are good. The setting in the old bank building is pretty striking in the hockey hall.

I’m old enough to have some memory of the old HHoF on the Ex grounds. Now that was not very impressive; the current one is a huge step up.

I’ve also been to the International HHoF in Kingston. I don’t know if that one still exists. It was pretty basic but had some interesting exhibits if you are a big enough hockey nerd.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Visited the Hockey Hall of Fame for the first time a couple years ago, after having wanted to go for years. And honestly was slightly disappointed. Really enjoyed the international section, with the various international jerseys and memorabilia, and the stuff like the Canadiens' dressing room and the Stanley Cup rings (and the trophy room itself). But really felt it was small, and didn't have that much in it. I would have really liked to see more historic artifacts, and less kids-oriented stuff like the mini-rink, especially with all the noise associated with it.

I know they have a lot more stuff available in storage, it just feels like a crowded area that lacked enough space to display it all, and I went through it a lot faster than expected. Also found it really hard to find an entrance, but that was partially due to construction at the time.

CHIP72

Mar 16, 2013
Silver Spring, MD
Has anyone ever visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland? If you ask why it is in Cleveland and not somewhere like Memphis the reason is explained that Alan Freed - the DJ who gets credit for coining the phrase "Rock and Roll" - had the first Rock and Roll concert in Cleveland and he was from there as well. Plus I think the city made a big push to have it located there because, well, what else is there to do in Cleveland?

I visited the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Pro Football Hall of Fame on consecutive days back in 2005 (as part of a three day trip to northeast Ohio when I was living in the Harrisburg, PA area; I saw an Indians game vs Seattle on the Saturday, went to the RNR HOF on the Sunday, and went to the Pro Football HOF on the Monday). IIRC, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame had a handful of interactive exhibits but more of it was devoted to memorabilia and static exhibits. My recollection was the Pro Football HOF had more interactive exhibits. (I probably spent at least 90 minutes alone in the HOF inductees room watching the videos about the inductees.) I liked the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, but I really liked the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and I know I liked the latter better and spent more time there. I've also been to the Baseball HOF, way back in summer 1986 when I was 13 years old, and I remember being a little disappointed by it. I may look at differently now with adult eyes, I don't know.

I'm giving thought to going to Toronto this summer for a few days and attending 1-2 Blue Jays games (the Blue Jays are one of 10 MLB teams I've never seen in person in their home ballpark/stadium), and if I do get to Toronto, I'll probably try to go to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'm giving thought to going to Toronto this summer for a few days and attending 1-2 Blue Jays games (the Blue Jays are one of 10 MLB teams I've never seen in person in their home ballpark/stadium), and if I do get to Toronto, I'll probably try to go to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

I think every hockey fan should, if they can get there. It is like never going to Disneyland/Disneyworld if you are a theme park junkie. You have to go to the HHOF if you are a hockey fan if it is feasible. I live 5 hours away from the Football HOF in Canton and I have no excuse for not going yet.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay................up until now I had never visited the Basketball HOF but I recently did go to the James Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Massachusetts. Okay, not bad, but I thought there was perhaps a little less there than I expected. I liked the nod to some older stuff and the interactive stuff was neat (scoring into a peach basket and trying to dunk on a 6, 7, 8 and 9 foot net). The entire first floor is just a large basketball court, which was neat because it was as dead as a doorknob the day we went there and that left lots of room. They are renovating and adding a 3rd floor I believe so perhaps there is more to it. I just thought it would take longer to walk through and explore.

It is in Springfield because this is where Naismith is said to have invented the game. So it sticks to its roots and I guess you can say Hockey didn't quite do this although Toronto is still the early days of hockey so I guess it doesn't matter.

Anyway, another one off my bucket list. Anyone else ever been and if so how do you compare it to Hockey?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad