News Article: Have You Seen This Crazy Idea????

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/1/10/why...k-dipietro-trade-would-be-the-best-thing-ever

If the Philadelphia Flyers really are – as Wednesday’s edition of the Roberto Luongo rumour mill suggests – interested in buying out Ilya Bryzgalov, they should stop and not do that. I’m not saying they need to keep Ilya Bryzgalov – just that if it is within their power they should trade him to the New York Islanders and buyout Rick DiPietro instead.

Before I get into the case for the trade, I need to acknowledge the hurdle: Ilya Bryzgalov’s no-move clause. Plenty of hockey players have no interest in playing for the Islanders, and Bryzgalov may well reason that a buyout is preferable to a trade because he’ll still collect two-thirds of the money he’s owed and he’ll be free to go find a job with another NHL team or a KHL club. If he’s willing, though, this deal would make sense for both the Flyers and Islanders.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Stupid suggestion. DiPietro's buyout will be $1.5m per.

Isles have boughtout other players, so it's not like Wang's never gone down that road.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I dunno....the guy has talent. The suggestion of moving to low key LI might be valid.

At worst, we have to buy out a guy Wang doesn't fawn over. Any Flyers fans care to comment on his hot dog distribution?

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
I think Bryz might do just fine here on LI, certainly would be out of the spotlight like he was in Phoenix. Beyond that, he seems to be a marketable guy who the fans seem to like. Imagine Bryz in a Bob's furniture commercial? The possibilities are endless! And like OlTimeHockey says, the guy has a lot of talent, just looks like he needs a change of scenery.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I think Bryz might do just fine here on LI, certainly would be out of the spotlight like he was in Phoenix. Beyond that, he seems to be a marketable guy who the fans seem to like. Imagine Bryz in a Bob's furniture commercial? The possibilities are endless! And like OlTimeHockey says, the guy has a lot of talent, just looks like he needs a change of scenery.

I love how players who can't take the heat, are supposed to be attractive to other fanbases.:laugh:

I'd rather see Wang buyout DiPietro and pay $1.5m per, then give up something significant in a trade.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Here's my problem with this: Mike Smith.

Bryz was mediocre before he was a Coyote, put up some amazing numbers in Phoenix, and then became mediocre after leaving the Coyotes.

Mike Smith was mediocre before he was a Coyote, and is now putting up some amazing numbers in Phoenix.

I don't know what it is about the Phoenix Coyotes, most likely Tippett's system, but mediocre goalies just seem to put up amazing numbers in Glendale.

VT Isles Fan

Mar 24, 2010
Vermont
Why are the Isles always the dumping ground for other teams cast offs? (I know, but it's tiresome)

In addition to the Bryz situation, I've heard a Montreal station suggest that Rene Bourque may be attractive to the Isles. What's so attractive about an overpaying for a guy who's wildly inconsistent and doesn't play hard every night?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Here's my problem with this: Mike Smith.

Bryz was mediocre before he was a Coyote, put up some amazing numbers in Phoenix, and then became mediocre after leaving the Coyotes.

Mike Smith was mediocre before he was a Coyote, and is now putting up some amazing numbers in Phoenix.

I don't know what it is about the Phoenix Coyotes, most likely Tippett's system, but mediocre goalies just seem to put up amazing numbers in Glendale.

Thank you. Have always thought 100% the same way. In fact was talking about this Dipietro/Bryzgalov trade/buyout possibility with someone else earlier... Basically, I said It would work in the Isles favor as long as Dave Tippett comes to coach the team.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Getting rid of the DP contract to a team that has the moeny to afford to mothball him is one thing. But in exchange, the Isles would get back an inconsistent flake who is still only 32 but has one of those back-diving contracts that has 8 more years to go on it. The cap hit is above $5.5MM until 2018 when it drops to $2MM and Bryz is 38 years old.
No thanks. We are better off buying out the Rick or waiting for an early broken body part to disable him again. Maybe he gets it finally and retires with an insurance payoff.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
Its a idea. However a idea i am not to crazy about. I think from the outside looking in as we are. It sounds nice it would be a way to get rid of Dp and perhaps get something in return. Plus while he is a good goalie he is not a great goalie. He is also 32 years old and has 7 years to go on a contract that is over paying him. I would not want his 5.6M cap hit. The concept it there though. I did not think of any teams taking advantage of a buyout VIA trade route etc.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
It would depend on the return.

If you consider that a) DP won't make an impact and b) that Wang won't buy him out, then you are basically spending an extra $1.1 per year to get whatever Bryzgalov can give you.

Even if Bryz ends up backing up one of Poulin/Nillson, he would still be worth more than $1.1 per. Plus, if played well and proved last year was a fluke, he would have trade value.

That said, given that the Isles have a goalie this year, two good prospects, and Bryzgalov is no sure thing to be an above-average goalie, I wouldn't give up much for him. Where the writer gets truly crazy is when he says the Flyers would recoup whatever they give up for Luongo. Bryz doesn't have that kind of value. A Bryz-DP deal would be a bad contract swap with a little extra to the Flyers because Bryz can play. Doubt anyone else takes on his contract though, so Flyers couldn't ask for a ton.

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
It would depend on the return.

If you consider that a) DP won't make an impact and b) that Wang won't buy him out, then you are basically spending an extra $1.1 per year to get whatever Bryzgalov can give you.

Even if Bryz ends up backing up one of Poulin/Nillson, he would still be worth more than $1.1 per. Plus, if played well and proved last year was a fluke, he would have trade value.

That said, given that the Isles have a goalie this year, two good prospects, and Bryzgalov is no sure thing to be an above-average goalie, I wouldn't give up much for him. Where the writer gets truly crazy is when he says the Flyers would recoup whatever they give up for Luongo. Bryz doesn't have that kind of value. A Bryz-DP deal would be a bad contract swap with a little extra to the Flyers because Bryz can play. Doubt anyone else takes on his contract though, so Flyers couldn't ask for a ton.

I think his contract is a crutch even if he plays better than last season

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Its a idea. However a idea i am not to crazy about. I think from the outside looking in as we are. It sounds nice it would be a way to get rid of Dp and perhaps get something in return. Plus while he is a good goalie he is not a great goalie. He is also 32 years old and has 7 years to go on a contract that is over paying him. I would not want his 5.6M cap hit. The concept it there though. I did not think of any teams taking advantage of a buyout VIA trade route etc.

You got it backwards. The Flyer fans suggests the Isles would send some of their young talent to Philly and in exchange, the Flyers would trade Bryzgalov for DiPietro.

The Flyers are reportedly interested in trading for Luongo, but would need to buyout
Bryzgalov. Flipping Bryzgalov for DiPietro means they get some young talent, while buying out a goalie they don't want.

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think his contract is a crutch even if he plays better than last season

His contract is a crutch, but not if it is replacing DP's contract. If the Isles won't buy him out, they will have $4.5M on the books in dead money. Bryz makes $5.6, which is too much, but you would also be getting rid of the dead money. So you are spending $1.1 extra to go from nothing to Bryz.

Trumanperro

Nov 10, 2008
New Jersey
How would nabakov deal with another #1? And what of the great goalies we already have in the system?

I understand the circumstances, but the guy couldn't stop a beach ball playing behind philly, how would he improve behind our joke of a blue line?

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/1/10/why...k-dipietro-trade-would-be-the-best-thing-ever

If the Philadelphia Flyers really are – as Wednesday’s edition of the Roberto Luongo rumour mill suggests – interested in buying out Ilya Bryzgalov, they should stop and not do that. I’m not saying they need to keep Ilya Bryzgalov – just that if it is within their power they should trade him to the New York Islanders and buyout Rick DiPietro instead.

Before I get into the case for the trade, I need to acknowledge the hurdle: Ilya Bryzgalov’s no-move clause. Plenty of hockey players have no interest in playing for the Islanders, and Bryzgalov may well reason that a buyout is preferable to a trade because he’ll still collect two-thirds of the money he’s owed and he’ll be free to go find a job with another NHL team or a KHL club. If he’s willing, though, this deal would make sense for both the Flyers and Islanders.

This is actually amazing... I think this is a terrific move. Flyers wait until they can amnesty buy-out DiPietro. Keep DiP in Adirondack or be back-up.:handclap::handclap:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
This is actually amazing... I think this is a terrific move. Flyers wait until they can amnesty buy-out DiPietro. Keep DiP in Adirondack or be back-up.:handclap::handclap:

What's so amazing?

In the past 1-2 seasons, I can recall Leaf bloggers, Canuck bloggers and Habs fans, making similar proposals.

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
What's so amazing?

In the past 1-2 seasons, I can recall Leaf bloggers, Canuck bloggers and Habs fans, making similar proposals.
If you wait to do this deal in the offseason, Bryz and DiPi would have about the same salary due to them over the course of their contracts. I think DiPi is due for $36M and Bryz is due for $34.5M. So you make this deal and Philly uses one of their compliance buyouts on DiPi. Instead of us just using this money to compliance buyout DiPi(not even a guarantee with our organization), we end up getting Bryzgalov. So in terms of money we gain $1M for an actually talented goalie. Now the question would be, do we want Bryz here? Also, if Nabokov is still ready to go(I think he would be), would we rather him or one of our prospects over Bryz?

Personally, if I knew he could regain his PHX form, I'd be all over this deal.

Last edited:

Fantom

Jan 5, 2006
His contract is a crutch, but not if it is replacing DP's contract. If the Isles won't buy him out, they will have $4.5M on the books in dead money. Bryz makes $5.6, which is too much, but you would also be getting rid of the dead money. So you are spending $1.1 extra to go from nothing to Bryz.

That logic makes no sense. to me. I see what you are wanting to do. However your just looking to replace a bad deal with another bad deal IMO

kasper11

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
That logic makes no sense. to me. I see what you are wanting to do. However your just looking to replace a bad deal with another bad deal IMO

The correct move would obviously be to buyout DP. But if Wang won't do it, then you have to consider that Bryz > DP, therefore, the Isles would come out ahead in that swap of bad contracts. Nobody would take DP without giving up an equally bad deal.

Again, this only makes sense if Wang is not willing to buyout DP. I hope that if DP proves useless this year, Wang will reconsider. Or if not this offseason, next. I would hate to go into our new building with DP.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Stupid suggestion. DiPietro's buyout will be $1.5m per.

Isles have boughtout other players, so it's not like Wang's never gone down that road.

DiPietro's buyout (in the summer) would be $0. If the Isles buy him out, I don't see why they wouldn't use an amnesty buyout.

nyiguy21

Poster of the Decade
Aug 22, 2007
New York
You are referring to the cap hit. It still costs actual money for Wang.
It would cost less actual money for Wang to pay Bryz than Dipi. From the 13-14 season on, DiPi has $36M left in actual salary while Bryz would only have $34.5M left.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
DiPietro's buyout (in the summer) would be $0. If the Isles buy him out, I don't see why they wouldn't use an amnesty buyout.

I'm not saying it's a stupid idea to buyout RD. I'm a big RD fan, but even I realize he can't stay healthy and it's best if the Isles move on, buy him out.

I think the stupid part comes in, giving up the NYI young talent. I'd rather the isles faced facts, like they did with Yashin and buy DiPietro out themselves. It's $1.5m per. Not a huge amount when the cap ceiling is $60m+ . The isles will have more budget after their Brooklyn move.

If the Flyers do trade for Luongo, they will buyout Bryz.

If the isles front office wants Bryz, then make him an offer with less yrs and less dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad