Value of: Have you ever seen a trade condition like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
HAs a trade eveer had a trade condition like "player a for player b and your next top 5 overall draft choice, or if that doesn't happen in 5 years your 1st and 2nd rounder in 2024"
Obviously there's some uncertainty there and a GM may be seen as looking too far out but it could help increase the value of trading for a first rounder.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Nope :P

On a personal note If I was a GM i would put a condition in a trade that you get my first rounder but if my first rounder is top 10, I have the right to trade that pick down as low as 11

So in this hypothetical scenario say I pick 5th. I can trade that 5th pick for the 7th pick+, then turn around and trade that 7th pick for the 11th pick+

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
I am amazed the league alowed the trade to go through.

Look I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist but bear with me here.

A few years ago TB had traded Lecavalier (in his prime) to the Habs and the trade was nixed because one of the 2 TB owners wasn't willing to trade Lecavalier and the league had vetoed the trade because they argued that TB was already in financial trouble and losing your star player would hurt the value of the team and make it very difficult to "sell" the product/team to potential buyers.

Now Ottawa, who is also in some financial trouble trades arguably the best defenseman (or top 3) in the league for scraps and the league doesn't intervene.

Now is it a question of the NHL nixing the Lecavalier trade because it was hurting the PR power and value of an American team (which it is trying to sell hard to americans) and they allowed the Ottawa trade because it helps sell the sport to Americans?

I don't know, but I can't accept the fact that what they got for EK was the best posible return/offer?!

I mean Ottawa as a sports product now isn't worth much with the loss of their franchise player!

You honestly think that Melnyk will make money with this team now if he is willing to sell?

Ottawa in the state they are now isn't hurting the league financially overall?

It's ridiculous quite frankly.

How can they hope to keep Stone and Duchesne now??

In less than 18 months, this team went from Stanley Cup finals hopefuls to barely above an AHL team.

Why would anyone allow this to happen is beyond me!

Anyways, just a thought...

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

A few years ago TB had traded Lecavalier (in his prime) to the Habs and the trade was nixed because one of the 2 TB owners wasn't willing to trade Lecavalier and the league had vetoed the trade because they argued that TB was already in financial trouble and losing your star player would hurt the value of the team and make it very difficult to "sell" the product/team to potential buyers.

Now Ottawa, who is also in some financial trouble trades arguably the best defenseman (or top 3) in the league for scraps and the league doesn't intervene.

Now is it a question of the NHL nixing the Lecavalier trade because it was hurting the PR power and value of an American team (which it is trying to sell hard to americans) and they allowed the Ottawa trade because it helps sell the sport to Americans?

Apples and oranges. Vinny was on a long term deal while Karlsson was an impending UFA. But don’t let common sense get in the way of your anti-American, woe is Canada whining.

Reactions: Price is Wright

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater

I don't know, but I can't accept the fact that what they got for EK was the best posible return/offer?!

I mean Ottawa as a sports product now isn't worth much with the loss of their franchise player!

You honestly think that Melnyk will make money with this team now if he is willing to sell?

In less than 18 months, this team went from Stanley Cup finals hopefuls to barely above an AHL team.

The loss of Vinny from TB would have essentially sealed the deal that that franchise would have to move. The NHL nixed the deal because they saw that. OTT trading EK isn't the same. More like the Caps sell off in '03. They're getting rid of an asset before he walks for nothing. Yeah they took below market value, but they got something. Honestly in what world is Jagr equal to Anson Carter?

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Nope :P

On a personal note If I was a GM i would put a condition in a trade that you get my first rounder but if my first rounder is top 10, I have the right to trade that pick down as low as 11

So in this hypothetical scenario say I pick 5th. I can trade that 5th pick for the 7th pick+, then turn around and trade that 7th pick for the 11th pick+

You'd essentially be asking a team to just give you their 11th pick since that other team would know that the 7th pick belongs to that other team.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You'd essentially be asking a team to just give you their 11th pick since that other team would know that the 7th pick belongs to that other team.

If a team like a certain player I am guessing they might give you something of value to move up 2-4 spots. If they just expect me to give them the pick or expect me to to give it to them for a 7th rounder I would just pass. You have to remember in my hypothetical scenario when i drop from 5 -> 11 there is 6 teams that you can try trade with thus getting competition. In the scenario I have when I first trade down to 7, if team 11 is playing hard ball maybe I just try make a deal with team 9 or 10. There is also the option that you make a deal with the team that owns the pick not to move down

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004

Umm, I'm not sure how this relates to my opening post. :huh:

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018

lol people need to get over this. Look at the conditional picks, when all is said and done, Sens could cone out with 2-3 1sts. Its a bad return for EK but its not collusion bad lol smh

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I just can’t get over the don’t be mean to us and trade a guy back to our conference for more than we got in the first place clause.

I didn’t even know that was possible. Or that a grown man would put it out there in the first place.

Anyhoo, I’m gonna go with a solid nope on this here conspiracy. These teams shart money now when sold. Doesn’t matter what you do to them, they’re worth more every year.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I just can’t get over the don’t be mean to us and trade a guy back to our conference for more than we got in the first place clause.

I didn’t even know that was possible. Or that a grown man would put it out there in the first place.

Anyhoo, I’m gonna go with a solid nope on this here conspiracy. These teams shart money now when sold. Doesn’t matter what you do to them, they’re worth more every year.

This is the first I've heard of this kind of condition being used by any team. I think it was always there to be used as a condition, but it was never the top thing that ever came to a GM's mind to really worry about. A player being flipped/traded back to his prior division/conference.

I actually think we'll be seeing more and more of these kind of conditions in the future now. Ottawa just went through with it a couple months ago with Hoffman, and I'd assume LA wasn't thrilled when Boston flipped Jones to their state rival a couple years back.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

You answered your own question early on. Ownership was split on the idea.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You sound like a conspiracy theorist because you are pitching a conspiracy.

What you are outlining up there is pure fiction. The league did not in any way involve itself in that potential transaction. That is a pure fabrication.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Because Ottawa’s owner approved the trade. One of Tampa’s owners didn’t.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad