Have the Rangers become a slow team?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
They can all be gold medal speed skaters, but they play slow.

Ill be interested to see how Torts tweaks the system with more talent in the top 9 forwards now. The only part of the game where speed was really incorporated was getting in quick on the forecheck of a dump and chase offensive attack last year. Lots of board work, lots of work in the trenches, and not much focus on the rush.

Its fine with me. Even with the talent infusion, I dont want to be getting into a track meet with a team like the Pens. Would rather grind them to death.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Ill be interested to see how Torts tweaks the system with more talent in the top 9 forwards now. The only part of the game where speed was really incorporated was getting in quick on the forecheck of a dump and chase offensive attack last year. Lots of board work, lots of work in the trenches, and not much focus on the rush.

Its fine with me. Even with the talent infusion, I dont want to be getting into a track meet with a team like the Pens. Would rather grind them to death.

Yeah, for whatever reason people tend to overlook the void in talent that this team has dealt with over the last few years. Tortorella went from "safe is death" to "six goalie system" in two seasons here. You have to think that now that our team can, you know, pass and score, that he'll open things up a tiny bit. I don't think he'll abandon the team identity, but I think we'll see him expand the structure to allow a bit more creativity on offense.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Their breakout method doesn't always lend itself to quick rushes up the ice. It's something I wish Torts would find a way to change.

This. We don't stand up in the neutral zone enough, so we usually have to go 200 feet and have little semblance of a transition game.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yeah, for whatever reason people tend to overlook the void in talent that this team has dealt with over the last few years. Tortorella went from "safe is death" to "six goalie system" in two seasons here. You have to think that now that our team can, you know, pass and score, that he'll open things up a tiny bit. I don't think he'll abandon the team identity, but I think we'll see him expand the structure to allow a bit more creativity on offense.

I think that, in a nutshell, is why Im so excited about this season.

For the first time in forever, we have a team - at least on paper - that can seemingly play any kind of game.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

i can live with our 5 on 5 play being the same effective "wear em down and grind em out" stuff.... really i can. opening things up on the 5 on 5 against some of these run and gun teams just scares me.

i would however like to see us attack more with the man up. i think with this group of forwards, we can finally put some pressure on a pk unit both with our speed on the rush and with our offensive talent, and in a settled puck control pp situation (and gaby on the correct side of the ice !!), we could be quite scary.

KreiMeARiver*

This. We don't stand up in the neutral zone enough, so we usually have to go 200 feet and have little semblance of a transition game.

Totally..

I think people are gonna be blown away with just how good Nash is at skating the puck into the zone. The guy is a freakin' locomotive when he gets going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad