Have the Pens been better without Schultz?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nah. I've liked Schultz's defensive game this season. Any increased confidence I have in the defence is more to do with the team forwards being reshaped and buying in to playing front of the D, and discovering a seeming top pair dman in the bargain clearance bin. If we've played better without him, that's on everyone else really - this team would still be better with Schultz in for Ruh or Riikola.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They're not better without Schultz because the replacement for Schultz is worse than Schultz, but Schultz himself isn't a good player.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Schultz has been underwhelming this year. But, I wouldn’t call him a bad player.

It is funny though. He likely is going back to #6 on the depth chart when healthy. Which sucks given the contract.

Well the contract, which we got fleeced on, is over shortly so I don’t have a problem with it this year...the problem with Schultz is that he needs to be insulated with minutes and choice of partner, so in that respect paying $700k to Ruh to man the #6 spot is probably better overall....Schultz is a more talented player but not at that cost....for Schultz to work on the second pair, he really needs to be played with Dumo or a Dumo-like player and we only have one of those...I can see this being the PO D pairs, assuming health...

Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
Petts-Schultz

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I think with the way the forward lines are currently set we don't hugely miss Schultz.

If Sid & Geno were both in the lineup then that's when we miss him. We don't have another offensive Dman to help push the play for the 2nd line. Schultz is still the best option we have for that kind of role (his injury last year was one of the factors for the Geno/Phil 2nd lines collapse in offensive production 5v5 imo).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I think with the way the forward lines are currently set we don't hugely miss Schultz.

If Sid & Geno were both in the lineup then that's when we miss him. We don't have another offensive Dman to help push the play for the 2nd line. Schultz is still the best option we have for that kind of role (his injury last year was one of the factors for the Geno/Phil 2nd lines collapse in offensive production 5v5 imo).

Marino is fine, but for a whole season it's probably wise to keep Schultz around. He can't stay healthy long enough to even get in a good groove or back to normal.

Just depth in general is what we should be happy with.

@pixiesfanyo It doesn't matter the contract on the 3rd pairing considering a cheap one will be on the middle pairing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Marino is fine, but for a whole season it's probably wise to keep Schultz around. He can't stay healthy long enough to even get in a good groove or back to normal.

Just depth in general is what we should be happy with.

@pixiesfanyo It doesn't matter the contract on the 3rd pairing considering a cheap one will be on the middle pairing.

I know. I just like to be proven right about saying Schultz’s contract was awful from day one.

And by awful I mean I said I “loved it” on page 1 of the signing thread.

Last edited:

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Yeah we have to hope Marino keeps developing for the rest of this year and hopefully he can fill that role next season. Would be a huge bonus to the cap if we have an option to replace Schultz internally for next season rather than having to either pay big money on Schultz or another UFA.

If Schultz cant get healthy and playing its going to be interesting to see what kind of contract he is able to actually attract come free agency.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Yeah we have to hope Marino keeps developing for the rest of this year and hopefully he can fill that role next season. Would be a huge bonus to the cap if we have an option to replace Schultz internally for next season rather than having to either pay big money on Schultz or another UFA.

If Schultz cant get healthy and playing its going to be interesting to see what kind of contract he is able to actually attract come free agency.

Yeah, they really like him, but he isn't going to come any cheaper, and Marino will need a new contract too. If they still had another year on Petts and Marino they probably could afford to sign him for 2/3 more and move him when needed. That's not the case though.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
No

But yes

But no

But really, yeah, they'll be fine without him

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
#4 has been a disappointment this season but every dman goes through it. Marino has made him easily replacable but I would let him leave for free and use him for the playoffs. If Letang goes down or Marino can't keep it up for an entire year (happens A LOT to rookies), he's an amazing talent to have if he figures it out.

We can't sit here and try to dump every player who is having a rough stretch. That seems to be this new HF narrative. That's not the healthiest way to go about it. You have to be patient but also understand when the leash ends. It's not easy. Rusty struggled last year and look now. Murray is struggling now. He will figure it out. And you know what.. not every player WILL figure it out. It's not as easy as people make it seem.

Pets/Schultz - I trust. I let Schultz just run out. Pets I continue to believe and work with. He's having a few games that show his youth, but it happens to EVERY dman. It will happen to Marino, too. It happens to young dmen.

Let's be patient and let it play out.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Awful. His game is worse than it was in Edmonton, IMO.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Schultz has been hot garbage since he put pen to paper in 2017. Injuries haven't helped, but if it weren't for JJ being on the team, Schultz would be the clear-cut worst player here.

Wow that bad huh? Looks like he was playing with Johnson (according to depth charts); would he do better with a defense-first guy or is he that big of a liability? (wonder if my team in Vancouver has a buy-low candidate)

Hockeygod66

Mar 25, 2007
It's almost hard to believe he had 51 points in 16-17. He really stopped caring once he got paid.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Wow that bad huh? Looks like he was playing with Johnson (according to depth charts); would he do better with a defense-first guy or is he that big of a liability? (wonder if my team in Vancouver has a buy-low candidate)
Yeah, our ingenious coach decided to play the two worst blueliners together and give them significant roles to boot. And no, it's not a matter of partners, imo. Schultz has been a non-entity offensively for several seasons now, and his already iffy defensive play has also tanked.

Your best bet is to look elsewhere. He's played like he should be in some tier-3 Euro league for a while now.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It's almost hard to believe he had 51 points in 16-17. He really stopped caring once he got paid.

I think injuries had a ton to do with it. His play when he got to Pittsburgh was fun hockey to watch. Pittsburgh was exactly what he needed, and he was exactly what Pittsburgh needed at that time. He was so much fun to watch that season because his confidence was sky high, he was so rejuvenated playing for a good team, and not having the pressure that he did in Edmonton - I actually think he was our best defenseman...super steady #3 guy and that offensive catalyst we needed from that pair at the time.

Injuries have destroyed him though. I don't think there's any coming back for him TBH.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel about as confident about this defense still having JJ as I do ripping a fart while having the stomach flu.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I would improve the defense

I mean..I'm positively a slower skater than even Maatta, but, I'd be an improvement

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY

Eh, I really don't think it was "not caring." I think it's pretty obvious he never recovered from that 2018 injury. Then he got hurt again this past season. Even in 17-18, he wasn't bad. Fewer points, but was still +22.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad