Have teams figured out Matthews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
Have teams figured out Matthews after the first game?

Seems like they know exactly what he's going to do or where he's going to be, including goaltenders.

He's getting his chances that's for sure, Nylander makes sure of that.

But they just seem to read him all too well.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
He is a perimeter player

Good stick on the boards to strip the puck
But the teams know now that is his skill set

They just shield the puck with their body and because he
Is not physical he can't get the puck.

He has tons of natural skill but to become elite like
Most experts say he can he has to have more drive for the puck.

Listen to Babcock talk about marner and he always talks
About his compete level. Marner actually uses his body to
Rub a man out, he blocks shots and is like a work horse every shift

I think Matthews has to learn that intensity to get to the next level

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I think he's playing great. He's right in the centre of the ice on rushes, heavy on the boards when he needs to be, and threatening in the offensive zone.

I noticed a play last night where his line lost the puck and he covered the counter rush skating backwards pretty much half the ice, in the centre. This is an elite 200 foot gamer.

He will score again

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
No, teams haven't "figured out" Auston Matthews. It's been 16 games.

And no, he is not a "perimeter player".

What is wrong with some Leaf fans? It's ridiculous in here sometimes.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
He is a perimeter player

Good stick on the boards to strip the puck
But the teams know now that is his skill set

They just shield the puck with their body and because he
Is not physical he can't get the puck.

He has tons of natural skill but to become elite like
Most experts say he can he has to have more drive for the puck.

Listen to Babcock talk about marner and he always talks
About his compete level. Marner actually uses his body to
Rub a man out, he blocks shots and is like a work horse every shift

I think Matthews has to learn that intensity to get to the next level
This has got to be the most stupid analysis I've ever read on a player. Needs to have more drive for the puck? I love his tenacity on the puck in the corners.. He consistently wins puck battles and strips the puck from players with ease. Anyone that bothers watching the games knows that. Perimeter player? :laugh:

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think he's playing great. He's right in the centre of the ice on rushes, heavy on the boards when he needs to be, and threatening in the offensive zone.

I noticed a play last night where his line lost the puck and he covered the counter rush skating backwards pretty much half the ice, in the centre. This is an elite 200 foot gamer.

He will score again
Bingo. He's playing quite well and still attracts high opposition. Simply put, he is going to start scoring.

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
Nothing is wrong with Matthews - or Nylander for that matter. Its variance - and variance comes to everyone. As they get better variance will come with less impact. Natural process. Nobody has figured him out. His four goal game was variance and so is this slump

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
I thought he's been great, Nylander too for that matter. They're facing the tougher competition each and every night (the Bozak Marner JVR line is reaping the benefits of this). Pucks will go in soon and everything will be fine.
One thing I've noticed, and don't get me wrong I'm a big Zach Hyman fan. However, his offensive talent is basically non existent. I've noticed several times now where he gets the puck and tries to pass cross crease to Matthews on a rush that never gets through. He always passes it into a skate, or shin pad, or another stick, or misses him altogether.

Perhaps its time to try someone else on that line.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No, teams haven't "figured out" Auston Matthews. It's been 16 games.

And no, he is not a "perimeter player".

What is wrong with some Leaf fans? It's ridiculous in here sometimes.

there not, there a so many in here who are only inflammatory and negative that is not a fan

Leaf Shaker

Aug 25, 2005
Everything he does, seems like the opposition players are one step ahead.

Like when Nylander passes to him in front of the net like 5 times now, the goalie knows exactly that Matthews is there and knows where he's going to shoot.

He had an open net that one game and he tried to deke out the goalie and player when all he had to do was shoot.

Yesterday in Preds zone he tried to do a drop pass and the Pred player was right there almost led to a breakaway.

Teams watch video, and he's become all too predictable.

Nylander has been nothing short of amazing.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
Perimeter player? What the hell lmao. Almost all of Matthews chances are in close to the goal. He creates opportunities with his board work as well. As this guy ever watched him actually play? That's probably the most inaccurate description of a player I've ever read.

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
I can't believe the Leafs finally get the number 1 center they've been trying to get for 8 years, and a 19 year old one at that, and some morons are already ******** on him. No wonder everyone hates us.

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
Everything he does, seems like the opposition players are one step ahead.

Like when Nylander passes to him in front of the net like 5 times now, the goalie knows exactly that Matthews is there and knows where he's going to shoot.

He had an open net that one game and he tried to deke out the goalie and player when all he had to do was shoot.

Yesterday in Preds zone he tried to do a drop pass and the Pred player was right there almost led to a breakaway.

Teams watch video, and he's become all too predictable.

Nylander has been nothing short of amazing.

I haven't noticed nylander nearly as much as matthews during their respective slumps. Imo, hymen is a black hole offensively. Sure he's good at retrieving the puck and on the forecheck but he is not a threat offensively at all..

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Have teams figured out Matthews after the first game?

Seems like they know exactly what he's going to do or where he's going to be, including goaltenders.

He's getting his chances that's for sure, Nylander makes sure of that.

But they just seem to read him all too well.

He is 19 years old playing the toughest forward position. Knock this crap off, one of the reasons players don't want to play in Toronto are fans like yourself

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
LOL No one has "figured him out". The guy is still getting an unreal amount of scoring chances per game. In his current scoring drought, if the insane amount of posts/crossbars he has hit were goals, he'd be sitting at like 15 goals right now. LOL

Also, 12 points in 16 games are great numbers for a 19-year-old NHL rookie.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013
If figuring out a player was this easy, games will often end 0-0.

Matthews is playing the same way in his first game as he is now, just not getting any luck with the bounces or posts. Could have at least 4 more goals.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Judging by his high amount of scoring chances, not at all.

Goalies are making the saves or he's just barely missing.

He's still creating and getting chances. Just can't bury them

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
LOL No one has "figured him out". The guy is still getting an unreal amount of scoring chances per game. In his current scoring drought, if the insane amount of posts/crossbars he has hit were goals, he'd be sitting at like 15 goals right now. LOL

Also, 12 points in 16 games are great numbers for a 19-year-old NHL rookie.

he leads the leafs in shots on goal per game. I guess figuring him out is let him shoot and hope he doesn't score. If a player has been figured out i am pretty sure they will be invisible and you say "didnt hear Matthews name once tonight" but we dont hear that.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I can't believe the Leafs finally get the number 1 center they've been trying to get for 8 years, and a 19 year old one at that, and some morons are already ******** on him. No wonder everyone hates us.

Surprised it took 16 games to get this thread.
Some people are slacking but I think we have them figured out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad