Hated on players who would be seen in a different light if they were paid slightly less

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Do people really "hate" players for the money they make?

I couldn't give a rats ass about Cooke's, Marchment's and Brashear's salary.

I couldn't stand those players because they were assholes, plain and simple.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
If Loui Eriksson paid us over the course of his 6x6 deal I think his play would have been better received.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Lol what? If Nurse, who’s a lower end #1 dman, but still a #1 dman, was paid similar to guys like Chiarot, Jensen, Leddy, etc he would be seen as just “ok”? It’s hot takes like that that show Nurse has turned into one of the most underrated dmen in the league
The issue is that Nurse isn’t a lower end #1, he’s a decent #2 at best

Boeser - consistent 50 point player who makes about 1.5 too much
OEL - makes about 2 too much
Nurse - 2-3 million too much
Bobrovsky - about 3 too much
Seth Jones - about 2 too much

Reduce the salary of the above players and they probably get looked at differently

Reactions: Voight

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Do people really "hate" players for the money they make?

I couldn't give a rats ass about Cooke's, Marchment's and Brashear's salary.

I couldn't stand those players because they were assholes, plain and simple.

Yes absolutely but not for that specific reason. In a tight cap league when a player takes an amount of cap space they basically need to bring that amount of value. What happens is, a player underperforms it increases focus on them and suddenly their flaws become more visible and it leads to hate.

Reactions: Peat

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I think this applies more to armia.

I thought with Byron, people didn't like the contract but I think most people appreciated him deep down.

He's been very injury prone for the last 5 years so I think he kinds faded out of the limelight, although he did return for that 2021 playoff run. As much as that run is remembered for price and Weber's last hurrah, it also applies to Byron.
Armia's not worth any contract imo. A player who only shows up once every 20 games has no place on an NHL team. Although he is underrated defensively.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Agree with this....recall the time his uncle told me that he's the best defenseman they have, but he's overpaid...simple as that....not often you hear someone so close to the player suggest they are overpaid, but it was a matter fact.
Well some rando said it on a hockey board so it must have actually happened.

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
Well some rando said it on a hockey board so it must have actually happened.
Suggesting I haven’t spoken to his uncle? Both of my kids have had him as a teacher twice each and more than that really as they have him for an odd subject even if their main teacher is someone else. He’s an elementary school teacher (daughter is Sarah Nurse)

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
He just is. He’s a high event player, but that doesn’t make him bad. People harp on one mistake, and ignore everything else positive he did. Going back to 18/19, he sits 9th among dmen in even strength scoring. He also has the 2nd best +/- of the top 10, behind only Hedman, and while it’s not the best stat, that’s still pretty telling that he’s not a liability. He also leads the NHL in even strength minutes over that time, and is top 20 in short handed minutes. The fact is, he plays as much as anyone in the league and is a massively positive contributor during those minutes.

He literally wouldn’t and it’s comical to claim that. He had the 7th most points among dmen at even strength/short handed this year. Not to mention that he’s 6’4, skates like the wind, and is hard to play against. Yet you think he’s going to get paid less than Ben freaking Chiarot? Severson isn’t remotely on Nurse’s level and just got 6.25, so how do you figure Nurse is going to get 4.6? He’s probably a million overpaid, and suggesting he’s 4.6 overpaid makes it hard to take you serious
#1D are never as inconsistent as Nurse....

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Bob was the poster child for this thread a year ago.

Between him being great in this years playoffs and Spencer Knight not really developing according to plan, his contract doesn't seem as bad. Yes, $10million for a goalie is still a lot and hes struggled previously but hes one of the reasons they've made it this far.

Reactions: Reality Czech

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Kevin Hayes was my answer when I clicked on the thread. Then he's right there in the OP.

I'd go with Tavares. If he was at 9.something then he'd have no detractors. But instead he's got a sizable chunk of the Leafs' fanbase saying he's some anchor.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Daughty
Bobrovski
Benn
Seguin

At about 3-4m less than what they currently make, most would probably think is reasonable for their play.

Nurse at about half would probably be viewed ok
One of these is not like the others…

Also the New York Rangers are the kings of this type of contract.

JUSTGIROUXIT

Apr 16, 2020
Name 30 better d-man and provide detailed statistics in your response.

Bet you would find Nurse is a tool 30 dman in the league
I like him as a player and appreciate what he brings but his contract is silly, don't see how anyone can justify that AAV. If he was making somewhere in the 6-7 range I don't think there'd be much of an argument.

I'm a bit curious in terms of where you see him vs. the top 30 Dmen in the league and would love to see where exactly he would slot in your list.

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
JT Compher. He's a a very solid 3rd liner that can fill in up the lineup, but his $3.5m cap hit drew a lot of ire from my fellow Avs fans over the last few years.

The worst offender of this case - The Avs fans themselves.

You literally won the SC last year with this guy two-way game.

Let's see the stats of the 3C of SC winners from 18-22

18: Lars Eller (Caps) = 38 points in 81 games RS, 18 points in 24 games SCP (3.5 mil AAV)
19: Tyler Bozak (Blues) = 38 points in 72 games RS, 13 points in 26 games SCP (5 mil AAV)
20: Yanni Gourde (Bolts) = 30 points in 70 games RS, 14 points in 25 games SCP (5.166 mil AAV)
21: Yanni Gourde (Bolts) = 36 points in 56 games RS, 7 points in 23 games SCP (5.166 mil AAV)
22: J.T Compher (Avs) = 33 points in 70 games RS, 8 points in 20 games SCP (3.5 mil AAV)

Besides Eller magical run in the playoffs (He scored the CW goal btw), Most of the third line C provide what was needed from them and also.... he has similar cap hit as Eller which is the lowest among the cup winning 3C from the previous 5.

Avs fans... cut the shit out. The reason you guys sucks is because Sakic for some reason do not replace Kadri with a qualified replacement (Evan Rodrigues is not the answer). Not because of Compher who hits his career high this year.

Reactions: Peat

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The worst offender of this case - The Avs fans themselves.

You literally won the SC last year with this guy two-way game.

Let's see the stats of the 3C of SC winners from 18-22

18: Lars Eller (Caps) = 38 points in 81 games RS, 18 points in 24 games SCP (3.5 mil AAV)
19: Tyler Bozak (Blues) = 38 points in 72 games RS, 13 points in 26 games SCP (5 mil AAV)
20: Yanni Gourde (Bolts) = 30 points in 70 games RS, 14 points in 25 games SCP (5.166 mil AAV)
21: Yanni Gourde (Bolts) = 36 points in 56 games RS, 7 points in 23 games SCP (5.166 mil AAV)
22: J.T Compher (Avs) = 33 points in 70 games RS, 8 points in 20 games SCP (3.5 mil AAV)

Besides Eller magical run in the playoffs (He scored the CW goal btw), Most of the third line C provide what was needed from them and also.... he has similar cap hit as Eller which is the lowest among the cup winning 3C from the previous 5.

Avs fans... cut the shit out. The reason you guys sucks is because Sakic for some reason do not replace Kadri with a qualified replacement (Evan Rodrigues is not the answer). Not because of Compher who hits his career high this year.

Out of curiosity, how does winning the Central Division and making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs justify claiming the team "sucks"?

Also, which "qualified replacement" for Kadri do you think was actually available last off-season, and what would they have cost the Avs to acquire? For that matter, could that "qualified replacement" have gotten Landeskog healthy enough to return for the playoffs? Would they have also prevented whatever happened in Nichushkin's hotel room in Seattle?

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia
Out of curiosity, how does winning the Central Division and making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs justify claiming the team "sucks"?

Also, which "qualified replacement" for Kadri do you think was actually available last off-season, and what would they have cost the Avs to acquire? For that matter, could that "qualified replacement" have gotten Landeskog healthy enough to return for the playoffs? Would they have also prevented whatever happened in Nichushkin's hotel room in Seattle?

Lol. Triggered Avs fans until they have amnesia that they actually got bounce in 1st round after winning a cup by a WC team nonetheless.

You can actually try to trade ROR back early in the season as rental. Sakic is not even trying and you take a gamble on Newhook to blow up but he fluffed.

That Nichushkin situation is unique although I admit, Landy is irreplaceable.

Still, do not blame on Compher just because you guys lost early and kinda underperform compare to last season juggernaut of a team. Relax.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Compher is more “over-played” than overpaid. He was like top 25 in the entire NHL last season in ES ice time among forwards. That’s the only reason he scored 52 points. Certainly it cannot be argued part of that extreme usage was a gaping second line hole left by the departures of Kadri and Burakovsky and the injury to Landeskog.

He’s probably going to fit this thread more after this summer when he gets paid on the basis of those dummied up point totals. He’s a perfectly adequate third liner. Very few third liners don’t have moments where they make you want to pull your hair out, that’s why they are (or should be) on a lower line. What he is paid now is fine for that. I am worried for the next team that pays him. He didn’t get 52 points because he evolved into a new player, he got them because the Avs had no option but to use him like a top six player. I’d be happy enough to have him back at 3.5 at this point. I think he’s gonna get something in the 4’s.

Reactions: Sensators

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Lol. Triggered Avs fans until they have amnesia that they actually got bounce in 1st round after winning a cup by a WC team nonetheless.

You can actually try to trade ROR back early in the season as rental. Sakic is not even trying and you take a gamble on Newhook to blow up but he fluffed.

That Nichushkin situation is unique although I admit, Landy is irreplaceable.

Still, do not blame on Compher just because you guys lost early and kinda underperform compare to last season juggernaut of a team. Relax.

Sorry, I'm apparently still a little hung over from watching the Nuggets win the NBA championship last night, and confused this year with our previous 2nd round losses.

But, sure, I guess they could have tried to trade for a guy who previously forced his way out of Colorado and probably had no interest in coming back. But, given what Toronto gave up for him (and Acciari), I'm happy that they didn't mortgage their future in a desperate attempt to try to force things when it was painfully obvious by the TDL that this wasn't their year. Seems much smarter to keep those assets and target someone more affordable who isn't just a single year rental. Unfortunately, there's not usually affordable 2Cs with term on the market, so it's not always an option.

I also don't know where you get the idea that anyone is blaming Compher for our injury plagued season this year, or the early exit. My original post was pointing out that he got undue hate in the first couple of seasons after signing his $3.5m aav contract because he was allegedly "overpaid", and would most likely be viewed differently if that contract had a cap hit of $3m or under. It had absolutely nothing to do with this season, no matter how much you want to pretend otherwise.

Last edited:

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Compher is more “over-played” than overpaid. He was like top 25 in the entire NHL last season in ES ice time among forwards. That’s the only reason he scored 52 points. Certainly it cannot be argued part of that extreme usage was a gaping second line hole left by the departures of Kadri and Burakovsky and the injury to Landeskog.

He’s probably going to fit this thread more after this summer when he gets paid on the basis of those dummied up point totals. He’s a perfectly adequate third liner. Very few third liners don’t have moments where they make you want to pull your hair out, that’s why they are (or should be) on a lower line. What he is paid now is fine for that. I am worried for the next team that pays him. He didn’t get 52 points because he evolved into a new player, he got them because the Avs had no option but to use him like a top six player. I’d be happy enough to have him back at 3.5 at this point. I think he’s gonna get something in the 4’s.

I also don't think it can be argued that he was called overpaid by a number of Avs fans during the first couple of years of his current contract, with people even claiming he was a negative value cap dump.

I do agree that he's going to actually get overpaid on his next contract, based on his career/contract year this season, and wouldn't be that surprised if his next cap hit starts with a 5, given the dearth of comparable players on the UFA market.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad