Hated on players who would be seen in a different light if they were paid slightly less

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I also don't think it can be argued that he was called overpaid by a number of Avs fans during the first couple of years of his current contract, with people even claiming he was a negative value cap dump.

I do agree that he's going to actually get overpaid on his next contract, based on his career/contract year this season, and wouldn't be that surprised if his next cap hit starts with a 5, given the dearth of comparable players on the UFA market.
Oh yeah the JTC current expiring deal was hated with the wrath of a thousand suns when first signed, no debate there.

I think he’s judged a little unfairly. If we had more depth or Bednar stopped playing him in such a high usage role, he’d be fine.

I’m a little worried with already poor depth what we are going to do with JTC and E-Rod walking out the door this summer. They were serviceable and versatile players.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Guy would literally make half as much if he was signed now.

He only got that money because it was during covid, and it was incredibly hard to get a Defenseman to play in Canada.

Settle down. Nurse is a top 10 even strength point producer from the back end in the NHL. He's big, mean, tough, skates like the wind, and can move the puck. Hes' a 7-7.5 million dollar dman on every team in the league, and the only reason he's not worth the 9 mil is he's prone to occasional defensive brain farts, and he doesn't play the powerplay.

this board is ridiculous when it comes to Nurse. he is currently overpaid by the equivalent of an okay 3rd liner or a good 4th liner.

people act like the oilers could save so much money on nurse when the reality is if was paid what he's worth, they save a whopping 2 million dollars.

and that savings is already made up and then some with Draisaitl's contract.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Oh yeah the JTC current expiring deal was hated with the wrath of a thousand suns when first signed, no debate there.

I think he’s judged a little unfairly. If we had more depth or Bednar stopped playing him in such a high usage role, he’d be fine.

I’m a little worried with already poor depth what we are going to do with JTC and E-Rod walking out the door this summer. They were serviceable and versatile players.

I'm right there with you in worrying what the Avs are going to do going forward, since the UFA market is extremely weak this off-season and they don't really have much left in the prospect pool to use in trades. My hope is that they flip Toews for a 2C with some affordable term left, since I'm expecting him to get a big money "retirement" contract in UFA that will price him out of Denver. Not sure who is even available for that kind of trade, but a LHD of Toews caliber with a $4.1m cap hit should hopefully attract a lot of interest.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Tavares, Matthews and Marner. If paid less Toronto wins a cup, or at least has a few respectable runs. They would be viewed as the saviors who brought a competitive hockey team back to Toronto after so long, vs. the “Overpaid Playoff Bum” image they have now.
Gotta play like you want it first. Tavares skates with an anvil up his ass and Matthews would rather dress up and do stupid ass betting and RBC commercials. Doesnt matter how much of a pay cut those 3 would take.

Reactions: Tripledeke333

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
Nick Suzuki in a few years when everyone finally realizes that he's a middling fifty point second line center being dragged around on Caufield's back. He'll be viewed as Desharnais was to Max Pacioretty; though a better player, his contract is infinitely worse.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Lol what? If Nurse, who’s a lower end #1 dman, but still a #1 dman, was paid similar to guys like Chiarot, Jensen, Leddy, etc he would be seen as just “ok”? It’s hot takes like that that show Nurse has turned into one of the most underrated dmen in the league
People understate on HFBoards because other posters tend to jump down their necks if they don't absolutely 100% nail the language their reader was anticipating

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad